Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ridiculous shipping

I ordered a PL338D gasket on line this morning ($7). It is about 2.5 inches in diameter and an eighth of an inch thick. When the total came up on the screen they charged me $13.00 shipping. It could be dropped in an envelope and put in the mail box. I called and cancelled the order. By the way, I live in NH. If Ames was a little closer I would drive over and pick it up.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:57 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I ordered a PL338D gasket on line this morning ($7). It is about 2.5 inches in diameter and an eighth of an inch thick. When the total came up on the screen they charged me $13.00 shipping. It could be dropped in an envelope and put in the mail box. I called and cancelled the order. By the way, I live in NH. If Ames was a little closer I would drive over and pick it up.
Goatracer, in cases like this please give us a call and we can work to give you the best shipping rate. Our best possible rate for some small items would currently be First Class Postal for $10. That may still sound like a lot for certain items, but please understand rates have gone up exponentially in recent times. We've done our best to absorb these additional costs, but we could only do so much for so long. We've gone from losing money to barely breaking even, please trust me when I say we are not making a killing. Concerning dropping the piece in an envelope with a postage stamp, this is not a method we're able to do due to the lack of tracking and accountability. All in all, I understand your frustration! We're in the same boat. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email if you have any questions.

Thank you!
Kyler @ Ames
(800)421-2637
kyler@amesperf.com

Old 06-23-2023, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did call and talked to a woman. Her answer was that you have a minimum charge for all items under $100. I asked her to cancel the order. I have received many items that were shipped in padded or thick paper envelopes with shipping labels containing bar codes. I will keep ordering but will have to be more careful to wait until I have more items to order.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The small USPS if it fits it ships is now 10 and change.Some one has to put the box together and pack it so IMO,$3 is not out of line?Tom

Old 06-24-2023, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I figure $10 minimum to ship any package - regardless how small these days.

I get AMES' response, however, I do see OP's point. I would think - especially after talking on the phone - an exception could be made to put the company's finances on the line by dropping a $7 item into a first class envelope and taking their chances without tracking in this case. Charge $2-3 for S&H to make up for some of the risk if it's that big of a deal and both sides probably end up happy - probably would have avoided yet another high shipping charge related thread popping up. Especially with a 20 year+ PY member with 3600+ posts - posting about this issue directly underneath a big AMES banner - and from their home state, no less.

Old 06-24-2023, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

USPS flat rate shipping has gone up about 30% in the last four years, used to be $7.35 now it's more than $10 for an envelope.

Strangely enough, medium size flat rate isn't too bad in comparison. I noticed McMaster raised all their shipping costs for very small items in the last couple of years too. A single washer will cost you about $11.

Not sure how possible it is from the business end ... but, you know how there is an asterisk for large items that cost extra shipping? Might be able to use a similar system to do in-house identification of tiny items that can ship in a first class envelope and have them diverted from the normal shipping dept flow. Maybe even a note that tracking would not be available at the reduced price.

But ... on these items have an absolutely tiny margin, it would basically be a write-off as the time invested in stocking and shipping an item for a $1 profit gets problematic.

Old 06-24-2023, 02:13 AM
Suspended

I'd love to have $13 shipping. Generally, any part costs 3x it's value to even get here. But sure, you guys have it so tough. If you get it the same month you've done well.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:48 AM
Senior Chief

Look at AMK, $30 minimum with $10 shipping. I have all kinds of extra stuff from them as a result. Ames hasn’t gone there yet. As for me, I gave up caring about shipping costs a long time ago to get what I want for the money pit. Ridiculous for me is gonna be a big number at this point. Just bought a gas tank, figured do I want the tank or not with the price if shipping. Of course, yes, needed the SS one, couldn’t live without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-24-2023, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once it gets to the post office:

Priority small box - $10.40
Priority padded envelope - $9.65
Rigid mailer, first class (no tracking) - $5.50

Priority box free at p.o.
Priority envelope free at p.o.
Rigid mailer - $1.05 at W-Mart

And first class is going up 8 July 2023 !!! And the p.o. is asking for a SECOND increase in the fall !!!

Scotty - please beam me my parts ! ;)

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I realize shipping is not cheap but I receive other items by USPS in small stiff paper envelopes for around $6.00 shipping. I just got a little upset when all she could say was that was their minimum. I'll probably just make a gasket out of gasket material because the original one was just paper. Next time I will wait until I have several items to order and order them all at once. I'm still a customer.

Old 06-25-2023, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

bitching about a couple bucks shipping in a multiple thousands of dollars hobby. SMFH

Old 06-25-2023, 11:40 PM
Suspended

It's only money. Imagine if those same thousands spent on parts had to be sourced overseas, individually. It's a whole lot more money. You have nothing to complain about.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To those of you who think $13 is nothing, some of us are on fixed income. I have been into old cars for longer than you have been alive and would like to enjoy what I have for the few years I have left. I can’t waste money so I have to make do with what I have.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2023, 11:21 PM
Suspended

It's certainly not nothing, it's just a bargain compared to what you could be paying for same thing. Is it justified, of course not.

This is not Ames specific but seems to apply to most. An item or deal that sees Free Shipping in the US, or over amount, still sees international customers paying full price to get the package across the country to wherever it exports from. There is definitely no free shipping even for the local trip. That's how they show their appreciation of those who pay far more than others for the same parts and choose their company or product. I've even thrown extra items in the order to meet a limit only to find out that no, you're now paying more. Enjoy the parts chump, hope they fit, we know you can't return them and we know out stock photos and descriptions are inadequate.

Best bit, when the car is all done it will be worth barely a fraction of what was spent, standard, but even more spent just on shipping. The actual value, based on replacement costs, purchase plus shipping, doesn't apply. Nor does years of scrolling and searching for that elusive part.

Last edited by Trevor78; 06-26-2023 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Trevor: gathering you are in Oz, do you guys still do the car club shipping container thing?

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 04:06 AM
Suspended

I am. Once or twice years ago there was a guy or two that would put in orders as had a container. Worked out well but often didn't really need anything to make use of it. I've also tried in the past taking orders of used items when I was searching for trivial pieces and had a few guys searching wrecking yards and their own parts from the supplied list, only to find once it landed that the guys never responded again, had found alternatives, complained about cost, whatever. I still have some of those parts, unable to sell. Decent guys are no dramas, but didn't always get to choose when others showed interest and sound like they'd assist in shipping costs.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:04 PM

I ship a lot of small items. That part in a bubble mailer shouldn't weigh more that 2-4 ounces. A part that small could be shipped first class with tracking in a 5x7 bubble mailer for around $4. Even in a small box it shouldn't be more that $5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68BeaumontSD For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68BeaumontSD View Post
I ship a lot of small items. That part in a bubble mailer shouldn't weigh more that 2-4 ounces. A part that small could be shipped first class with tracking in a 5x7 bubble mailer for around $4. Even in a small box it shouldn't be more that $5.
ok. figure extra space for all other kinds of packages and packing materials. figure extra time to switch shipping companies websites back and forth because you are not the only order being shipped that day. and the amount of time if you are not used to the websites. it all adds up. i'm on a fixed income too. i don't get paid any extra because i want to buy car parts. ames isn't getting rich on shipping charges. maybe they should offer free shipping and raise prices like everyone else.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Small USPS boxes are now a touch over $10!Tom

Old 06-29-2023, 10:05 PM
Senior Chief

Seems like they could have a bubble mailer price for small items. Has tracking and could be priced around $8.