Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Ames website

Just some feedback for you.

Was in the middle of placing an order on the old website, went to refresh my cart and got an error. After getting multiple errors I tried to reload the amesperf.com URL and the new site came up.

Registered my login and re-entered the part #'s I needed, got to the new cart, finished adding info and tried to check out. Got an "oops" error and saw the suggestion to refresh. Tried refreshing, still got same error.

Hit the back key and got back into the cart, then hit submit a 2nd time and got the same error. Backed up to the cart and hit submit a 3rd time and it worked. I got the email confirmation and all looks good.

Not sure if you were still making changes when I was trying to checkout, but thought I would pass this along in case it is helpful.

If I am the first order on the new site, do I win a prize?? LOL

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another suggestion: this would be a good time to hotlink the Ames banner at the top of the page to the Ames website.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont see anything different than a pretty home page. What am I missing? No idea how to search the catalog for parts. Still need to enter the car, year and part no. to see something. Absolutely no different than before. A for effort F for execution. Please correct me if Im wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 08:07 AM
Senior Chief

Was on it this morning. Seems a little cleaner in design but still difficult to browse parts for model without inputting specific part requests. Other suppliers seem to have a handle on making a user friendly website so it should not be difficult to follow that lead. Hoping it’s still being tuned….

Last edited by rwfisher; 07-14-2023 at 08:25 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwfisher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 08:31 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I dont see anything different than a pretty home page. What am I missing? No idea how to search the catalog for parts. Still need to enter the car, year and part no. to see something. Absolutely no different than before. A for effort F for execution. Please correct me if Im wrong.
At the top right of any page there is a generic "part # or keyword" search. If you search let's say "400 hood emblem", both options available for the Firebird 400 hood emblem appear. There is also a more specific search method at the center of the home page where you can input your model and year, plus a search keyword or part #. Through much testing, these both are much smoother and more direct methods versus the old website. There is also a "quick order" option as seen at the top of the page; if you have part #s this will be the most streamlined way to order. You are also still able to download a PDF of the catalog as before; click on any four of the catalogs at the home page and choose "PDF version". Items and additional keywords will be continually added. I hope some of this helps!

Kyler @ Ames

Old 07-14-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
Was on it this morning. Seems a little cleaner in design but still difficult to browse parts for model without inputting specific part requests. Other suppliers seem to have a handle on making a user friendly website so it should not be difficult to follow that lead. Hoping it’s still being tuned….
Just enter, for example number 1 and press search icon and the parts page appears. Now just choose catalog and year, erase the number 1 from search term and everything opens up.
I like the new web page, simple, good photos and finally when checking out you can see the shipping costs. Very good Ames!

Last edited by samiralfey; 07-14-2023 at 09:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to samiralfey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2023, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All due respect Kyler I dont see any improvement even with your explanation. I will add before I blast off too much though, that Ames is my go to for parts, and 90% of what I buy for my 'birds comes from Ames. One should not have to know the part no. to place an order. I suppose I will have to go back again but initially I did not see anywhere to search, until after I did the input of my car, year and part no.?

I have shopped on hundreds if not thousands of websites, they (mostly all) have the same format. Especially for car sites. An example is a Chevy site I was looking for Chevelle parts. I am not ready to buy, but want to see what they have and compare to other suppliers. On the HOME page is a tab for the model and year of the car. Click that and it brings up sub headings, motor, interior, body, electric etc. Click on the sub heading and it brings up all of the parts available. If you something you want. Click and order. ITs that simple. No part no.s needed, no description.

As long as I can still find a place to input a part no. and then click and pay I will continue using my good ole Ames catalogue to place an order. IF that becomes too difficult I will pick up the phone.

Old 07-15-2023, 06:40 PM

One thing I found while checking the site out was some of the links are very out of date and the one for GTO Heaven sends me to eshopmanuals. I suspect these will get cleaned up as time allows though.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put some parts in my "cart", hit the "checkout" button to see how the shipping costs were displayed.

I can't get there from here.

Anyone else have this happen?

Anyone know where to select "not vehicle related"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-15 190044.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	616132  

Old 07-16-2023, 08:36 PM

Kyler, I like the new site but everything, as you know, is a work in progress. Here's my 2 cents.

When I log in, it would speed things up if it remembered me and all parts and or categories for my primary car in "Your Vehicles" would open without having to enter a part.

When viewing multiple parts on a category page, I have the option to 'Add to Cart'. How about a tab to 'Add to Wish List' to eliminate 4 steps. Unless I'm missing something, I went thru each category adding directly to cart then went to the cart and moved to wish list. $6000 in parts added up very quick!

Thanks for the improved site!

The Following User Says Thank You to GtoFM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 10:32 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtoFM View Post
Kyler, I like the new site but everything, as you know, is a work in progress. Here's my 2 cents.

When I log in, it would speed things up if it remembered me and all parts and or categories for my primary car in "Your Vehicles" would open without having to enter a part.

When viewing multiple parts on a category page, I have the option to 'Add to Cart'. How about a tab to 'Add to Wish List' to eliminate 4 steps. Unless I'm missing something, I went thru each category adding directly to cart then went to the cart and moved to wish list. $6000 in parts added up very quick!

Thanks for the improved site!

Thank you everyone for the feedback! Without it we can't make improvements. The new website will have many updates and changes along the way.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I just placed an order on the site WITHOUT USING THE CATALOGUE! I stand corrected. It was not that bad. My initial concern was with having to input a product no. However after reading some of the comments I simply put the part I name I was looking for and a litany of related products came up, including what I needed. Sometimes its hard for an old dog to learn new tricks, but I will say with my latest experience it is definitely better. Thanks again Ames.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:43 PM

I would agree with other users on how it's nice to be able to scroll through parts for your car in various categories as other sites have. I think it's a nice business model because I often scroll through and see something else I want to buy that wasn't originally on my list of "needed" parts. I do appreciate the knowledgeable tech guys that can help answer questions I may have and point me in the right direction as to what I may need. Really value that.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:38 PM
Suspended

If I can't simply scroll and browse, then I google the specific item and see who has it. It works better for the shop to have the ability to both look up an actual item and to browse since the customer is only selecting items to buy that they had no real plans to buy previously.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old dog learning new tricks. Placed my second order from the sight only. My catalogue was nearby but never opened. Things went smoothly. There may be hope for me yet!

Old 08-04-2023, 08:45 PM

Bought 4 Rally 1 wheels, on the new website. First Ames purchase as a former Year One customer. The ‘grand total’ was different from the additional $60.00 charged to my card. John from Ames, made it right and I am a lifelong customer for this. Wheels are excellent quality and a great experience overall. Thanks John and Ames!

Old 08-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Home run

Just placed an order. first order a few weeks back website same as old one difficult and disfunctional, had to go back to the 1980s and call to order.

not this time! simple, perfect easy process nothing weird or hard. went perfect and easy. great job ames! hope ames never stops printed catalogs. i have discovered many parts iv'e ordered and some i didnt know existed and ordered turning catalog pages while on the privy.

not a year one fan. always higher prices and now they dont do printed catalogs.

The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can I offer a suggestion?

When checking out, would it be possible to implement an in store pick up option? That way I dont have to email my order with a customer number and do the billing over the phone.

It's not a big deal, just would make things a tad easier. Got my order today in person and everything went smoothly as usual!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2023, 06:04 AM

I've ordered a lot of parts from the old website without to much trouble.

This new set up is terrible , parts from other models , years , departments are in the pre selection and you end up scrolling through thousands of irrelevant parts.

I don't like to say it but Year One is starting to look like a pretty good alternative.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Timmermans View Post

I don't like to say it but Year One is starting to look like a pretty good alternative.
Shipping costs for larger parts has me considering the same. I can drive there.