Old 12-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Default Pattern needed for Formula hood Grilles

The vent grilles are missing from my Formula Hood for my 73 F-400. It doesn’t appear that any of the normal vendors have this part in there catalogs.

Does anyone have a pattern (PDF file or ?) I can make a few for my car? I know there was a guy selling some on E-pay for awhile @ $15pr but, I haven’t seen his add for over 6 months. I asked the master of Parts re-creation (C-Norwood) to add it to his product list and he said he would consider it if there was enough interest but, I'm sure he's got more projects then he currently needs. Even a rough sketch drawing or a photo with a tape measurer and basic measurements next to it would most likely save me a bunch of time and wasted materials.

Thx in advance - Norm

Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let'see if I can get a couple pics uploaded for you. Both of these are of original Ram Air '70's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70 Form RA screens close-up.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	151096   Click image for larger version

Name:	FormRA scoop closeup#2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	151097  

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What do the unvented hood scoops look like? Both of my hoods have the scoops opened, and I would like to close them back up.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a pair of those repro scoop screens off of e-bay back in '04.

Dunno if he still makes them, nor if his contact info is still any good, but here it is . . .

Bob Golenia
robgol2@comcast.net

Hope this helps!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 12-10-2008, 06:11 PM

1973Formula -
I believe the un-vented hoods were originally constructed in the same way, the factory simply did not cut out the openings unless it was a RA car. The rear of the opening(approx1.5" in) is flat with raised rib lines that run horizontally across them. I would think most body guys with fiberglass experience could fill them in but it might be difficult to re-create the rib pattern if you want origionality. You may be able to find someone that is planning on cutting there’s out and gel set them into your hood without it being terribly noticeable.

good luck, Norm

Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you round up a pattern, I could use a copy. A very nice soul sent me some cool honeycomb metal mesh that I need to cut to shape.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the grille material is the same as what was used in the T/A air extractors.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I need the screens for my car too.............

Old 12-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

Here is a picture of my unopened 70 formula scoop (ignore the white stuff, it is wax)

Old 12-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
I bought a pair of those repro scoop screens off of e-bay back in '04.

Dunno if he still makes them, nor if his contact info is still any good, but here it is . . .

Bob Golenia
robgol2@comcast.net

Hope this helps!
I went ahead and sent Bob an e-mail this afternoon.

I'll let you know if / how he responds.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had some past dealings with Bob, I believe he had some health issues about a year or so ago.

If Bob doesn't come through on this I will do them. I have a line on the proper material, and it is not cheap. Bob's 16.00 price is not bad at all. I'm sure that I can get one of the repos (GARY ARE YOU OUT THERE?) to use as a pattern. I think that it would be well worth it to try to find someone who has an ORIGINAL that they would be willing to let me use as a sample and of course FREEBEES would come the way of the provider. I think that this is KEY , I want to make it right if I end up doing this. A CORRECT detailed drawing might also suffice.
I think that I can keep the price very close but more than likley a small increase. Its up to you Norm, I won't step on your toe's on this unless you pass this back to me.

Last edited by Norwood; 12-11-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
I have had some past dealings with Bob, I believe he had some health issues about a year or so ago.

If Bob doesn't come through on this I will do them. I have a line on the proper material, and it is not cheap. Bob's 16.00 price is not bad at all. I'm sure that I can get one of the repos (GARY ARE YOU OUT THERE?) to use as a pattern. I think that it would be well worth it to try to find someone who has an ORIGINAL that they would be willing to let me use as a sample and of course FREEBEES would come the way of the provider. I think that this is KEY , I want to make it right if I end up doing this. A CORRECT detailed drawing might also suffice.
I think that I can keep the price very close but more than likley a small increase. Its up to you Norm, I won't step on your toe's on this unless you pass this back to me.
that's killer...............I'm in...............

Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Norwood - Please feel free to step on my toes, I'm looking forward to it

I talked to Bob but, he says he hasnt done them in a couple years and doesnt remember if he had any supplies left.

Thanks for taking this on , I'll be glad to be the first paying customer when your ready and would be willing to pay in advance if needed to get it going- Norm

Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fifteen sets is about where the break even point is on this. But we still need a PRINT OR A SAMPLE. Remember I am a Trans Am guy so I don't have a Formula hood to help me out so I need accurate info here.

Last edited by Norwood; 12-11-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Chief

I'd be in for a set as well. So are these installed through the slots on the bottom side of the hood or from the front? Do you just epoxy them into place?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Fifteen sets is about where the break even point is on this. But we still need a PRINT OR A SAMPLE. Remember I am a Trans Am guy so I don't have a Formula hood to help me out so I need accurate info here.
Norwood... I have both the repops and original hood screen sets... let me know if you still need them for a pattern.

The proper screws to attach them is where I am short. I have a few that I believe are the originals, but Im not %100 sure on these.

1970 Ram Air III Formula 400 (YZ) M40 (26-Lucerne Blue / 201-Standard Medium Bright Blue)
1970 Ram Air III Formula 400 (YZ) M40 (26-Lucerne Blue / 211-Deluxe Medium Bright Blue) *SOLD*

Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Norwood,

I'll buy a set as well.

Chris

Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFormulas View Post
Norwood... I have both the repops and original hood screen sets... let me know if you still need them for a pattern.

The proper screws to attach them is where I am short. I have a few that I believe are the originals, but Im not %100 sure on these.
PM SENT

Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
I'd be in for a set as well. So are these installed through the slots on the bottom side of the hood or from the front?
Yes - through the slots in the bottom. And retained with screws.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

I'll take a set also....My car has the Originals, Here are the pics, if you need them for templates let me know.
Thanks
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0656.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	151207   Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0657.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	151208   Click image for larger version