1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation 1992 1LE Trans Am - 1 of 4 Built!!!

On e-bay now - WARNING - very long but interesting description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS%3AUS%3A1123

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

While I'm not a huge 3rd gen fan, that is certainly an interesting car and well worth the price. Always neat to see one get built that they say couldn't be. I've seen the yellow one that Leo Montiel owns at the Nats several years ago. He might be interested in it. I know he is a member here and Trans Am Country.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Suspended

Default Jamaca Yellow 1992 1LE

Here are a couple of photos I took of Leo Montiel’s Jamaca Yellow 1992 1LE at the 1999 Trans Am Nationals. Note the handwritten effective date on the emissions tag - September 1990.

Quote:
Above: The image above is of one of the special factory performance Firebird's that 'slipped past them'. This 1992 1LE Trans Am was never intended to be sold to the public. This race-ready built Trans Am was one of the Firebirds showcased in the High Performance Pontiac Magazine "Birds of Prey" video, and yes Leo is on the video driving his very special T/A. At the time this picture was taken this Trans Am was owned by Leo Montiel.

Quote:
Above: The Vehicle Exempt tag tells it all. Leo told me the following about his 1992 Trans Am 1LE: "My 92 is 1 of 9 1992 1LE's made. It is the only Jamaica Yellow one built, and the only 1LE 92 T/A I have ever seen...I wish it was the only 92 1LE made."
Page link with Leo’s information and commentary here: http://www.tachrev.com/Web_Pages/TA_Nats_99pg13.html

Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While its not 1 of 4, adding the AC has killed that car...this guy knew how, or who to ask how to order the options to get the Brakes and the rest..
The car always "could be" just wasnt desired, especially with options, remember its a racer, not a luxury car.

Year Model # produced

1988 Trans Am 1LE 3
1989 Trans Am 1LE 26
1990 Trans Am 1LE 4
1991 Formula 1LE 46
1991 Trans Am 1LE 62
1992 Formula 1LE 22
1992 Trans Am 1LE 9
1993 Formula 1LE 3
1994 Firebird 1LE 0
1995 Formula 1LE 2
1996 Formula 1LE 10
1997 Formula 1LE 14
1998 Formula 1LE 14
1999 Formula 1LE 20
2000 Firebird 1LE 0 (not available)
2001 Firehawk 1LE 60

Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tempting, very tempting!

$18,773.00 BIN

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This says it all Boss, try to resell this one day...QUOTE>>"The power and performance options were not dealer or aftermarket added (except for the add on A/C of course, there was no way around the a/c delete)" >>IS ADD ON AC a PERFORMANCE OR POWER OPTION??

WE all know that these cars were NON ac for a reason, weight and performance.
Although price isnt bad, it is all it is worth having been hacked, and we both know, under the dash is hacked up too adding that ac. Be a months worth of work, and a NICE parts car to fix it, IF you can.

EDIT: I asked him what brand of aftermarket AC is in the car and if the firewall was cut. Be interesting to know, doubt he will put it on the auction, he is steering FAR from the ac

ALSO 9 WERE BUILT in 1992 of the Trans Am variety

Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GOT an answer!!>>

QUOTE>>" The A/C is made by Wynns, PN# 20-0189A I do have the papers. The place that installed it is closed gone and bulldozed, like everything else around here, so I cannot ask them what they did, sorry. It has never crossed my mind that it would need cutting to install, the housing is the same size as a factory GM AC housing, fit right in there, no cutting needed that I can see. I am not a mechanic, so I am not going to take anything apart, but tell me what to look for under the dash and I will do my best. What am I looking for? Drivers side or Passenger side?
Happy bidding
Doug "<< END QUOTE

Old 11-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Senior Chief

That looks like the same A/C kit that was put on Leos T/A.
here is a link to the car on thirdgen.org

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/hi...-trans-am.html

Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On again....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...7;3AMEWAX%3AIT

BIN $12,773.54

DAMN!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Thats about right seeing as there is a weeks work making it correct again...

Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Default I almost bought one new

I have never posted in this section before, but I do have some knowledge of 92 F-cars.
I almost bought one new. I will take you back to Friday, January 24th, 1992:

I had a 87' Formula 350; I had bought it off of a close friend who was sort of a silver-spoon kid, he had the car bought new for him. He rarely drove it, and I bought it in the fall of 90' with about 4400 miles on it. By the date above, the car had about 24K on it.
I lived in the NW suburbs of Chicago, but was going out for the typical Friday night with some friends; they lived in Oak Lawn, IL - south suburbs. I left the car in front of their house and let a buddy drive. Short story on that - the car was stolen that night.

Now, as a purely "therapeutic" reaction, before my buddies drove me home the next day, I visited (2) Pontiac dealers. A salesman at an Oak Lawn area dealer had to reserch what I wanted (he did call me later the next week saying what I wanted could be ordered), but at Sullivan Pontiac in Arlington Heights (where my 87' was bought new) - YES, if I wanted a 1LE I could get one. Additionally, I found that I could have ordered all of the other power options - just not A/C. At the time, I already knew of the 1LE package.
I was going to get a 350 Formula 1LE, dark green, with either tan cloth or leather interior and all options including 1LE and no A/C. In the end, I wanted to stay with older stuff and just save money - I had a 72 GP at the time also. There wound up being only 12 92' Formulas built with 350s and 1LE. I think all of the T/As that had 1LE were 305-5spd cars. This was as close as I ever got to ordering a car new, except for (2) of my wife's cars.

The car for sale is neat, but needs some work - I'm not sure I would want this one.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the car, have owned a GTA and a 92 formy, and a 92 drop top
For me, its a collectible car , not a driver, so... the ac is the big problem on it..
I wish I had kept my 92 drop top .. Love the Banshee nose...
LOve the tune ports as well... Soon you just will not see these. There are hundreds being crushed everyday
nice post joegpho!!