Old 07-03-2004, 05:17 AM

1967 GTO upper radiator hose-does this hose have a spring on the inside. Have two one with the spring and one without-which should be used?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2004, 05:17 AM

1967 GTO upper radiator hose-does this hose have a spring on the inside. Have two one with the spring and one without-which should be used?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2004, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Use the one with the spring in it. I have one with no spring and it sags after car cools down, doesn`t look right. Also your upper rad hose will not collapse if hose has the spring inside. Where did you get the upper hose with a spring in it ?

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 07-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

Use springs in BOTH hoses if you can. I had a problem when I replaced my hoses w/out springs. Temp climbed and the hoses were mushy when hot (even though they were new hoses). If you don't have a spring, you can make one from a 1/16" stainless steel welding rod. Cut a piece of wood 1/2" shorter in diameter than the hose, then wrap the rod around it. Presto - instant spring? Got this tip from another person in this forum.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Senior Chief

http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...11&m=605108365

Old 07-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The upper hose shouldn't have a spring in it. Only the lower one, if at all. If you have a situation where the upper hose is collapsing when the motor cools off, you've got a bad radiator cap (the vacuum relief valve isn't opening) or, if you have an overflow system, there may be too much restriction in it.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Chief

When I removed my original radiator & hoses, they both had springs in them. When I didn't put BOTH springs back in, I had temp problems. Replaced the cap twice before I put another spring in the top (was running with bottom spring only at the time). Just my situation.... it's purty now!