Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As usual Maple Grove turns another Pontiac fan away for good! I know they could not control the weather for the original event date and can not hold that against them. Then they schedule the rain date to coincide with several other venues on the same day. Ok. We know it will be busy but we will be racing other Pontiacs on this day so we will bite the bullet. Then find out it will cost spectators an additional $5.00 fee because of the increased entry cost of the other venues. (I know its only $5.00, but how much would they lose for the few who paid and sat around for 4 hours in the rain on the original date?). Spend 1/2 the day saturday to finish cleaning the car and loading up before the torrential rains that are forcast come. Wake up at 4:00am to get ready to leave the house. Walk outside at 4:45 to a crisp, clear fall like morning for the 1 hr 15 minute drive to get in line by 6:00am for gates that won't open til 8:00am so you can get a good spot for the day. Not 1 single cloud in the sky, temps in the low 70's, most of your Pontiac friends in attendance talking about the great time that was had in Norwalk. Head down to tech which has not enough staff to cover the amount of cars in attendance. When you finally get teched you find out there is no Pontiac classes being run today at the Pontiac raindate! You will either run in Nostalgia 1 or 2, or in Mandra. What is nostalgic about my 92 Firebird? Payouts are $450.00 for any Chevy, Ford or other make who wins one of the classes. If a Pontiac wins they get $600.00. So the way I look at it is means that if a Pontiac is lucky to win the Pontiac event raindate you will win $150.00 for racing against Chevies and Fords etc. I wonder if Jim Butler knows he is sponsoring a race for $150.00 payout? If I wanted to race against Chevies and Fords I would have gone to Cecil County to try and win $2000.00! All this happened by 9:30am and I was loaded up and pulling out the gate by 10:30. I will never race at a non National or Divisional race at Maple Grove again. It is this kind of treatment that further fuels my desire to make the Pontiacs in the Park event the best Pontiac event east of Norwalk! This was the final nail. The coffin is now sealed!

Old 08-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As usual Maple Grove turns another Pontiac fan away for good! I know they could not control the weather for the original event date and can not hold that against them. Then they schedule the rain date to coincide with several other venues on the same day. Ok. We know it will be busy but we will be racing other Pontiacs on this day so we will bite the bullet. Then find out it will cost spectators an additional $5.00 fee because of the increased entry cost of the other venues. (I know its only $5.00, but how much would they lose for the few who paid and sat around for 4 hours in the rain on the original date?). Spend 1/2 the day saturday to finish cleaning the car and loading up before the torrential rains that are forcast come. Wake up at 4:00am to get ready to leave the house. Walk outside at 4:45 to a crisp, clear fall like morning for the 1 hr 15 minute drive to get in line by 6:00am for gates that won't open til 8:00am so you can get a good spot for the day. Not 1 single cloud in the sky, temps in the low 70's, most of your Pontiac friends in attendance talking about the great time that was had in Norwalk. Head down to tech which has not enough staff to cover the amount of cars in attendance. When you finally get teched you find out there is no Pontiac classes being run today at the Pontiac raindate! You will either run in Nostalgia 1 or 2, or in Mandra. What is nostalgic about my 92 Firebird? Payouts are $450.00 for any Chevy, Ford or other make who wins one of the classes. If a Pontiac wins they get $600.00. So the way I look at it is means that if a Pontiac is lucky to win the Pontiac event raindate you will win $150.00 for racing against Chevies and Fords etc. I wonder if Jim Butler knows he is sponsoring a race for $150.00 payout? If I wanted to race against Chevies and Fords I would have gone to Cecil County to try and win $2000.00! All this happened by 9:30am and I was loaded up and pulling out the gate by 10:30. I will never race at a non National or Divisional race at Maple Grove again. It is this kind of treatment that further fuels my desire to make the Pontiacs in the Park event the best Pontiac event east of Norwalk! This was the final nail. The coffin is now sealed!

Old 08-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Senior Chief

Here's how Al Corda at Rock Falls Raceway in Eau Claire, WI runs his club events. The Pontiac Club sets up a race date on a test and tune saturday at a reduced "Pontiac Club only" entry fee. What you soon find out is that it is also Buick Club, Olds Club, Mopar Club and Mustang Club race day as well. Each club gets a staging lane of their own to line up in and wait, while three lanes of "regular entry fee" cars make two or three time trials to your one. After lunch there is an "impromptu" gamblers race, but you have to bail out of your club event and pay extra to participate.
The reality is that a club event doesn't mean squat to the track. So now instead of looking for a "deal" to save five bucks, I'll just pay the normal entry fee and go racing. I'm just glad to have more than one track to choose from. Besides.....I thinks its fun beating chevies and fords.

Old 08-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jim - I admire you for leaving and letting it known to the track. I can not believe these guys. I too left(not like you did though - I raced), and let the main track guys know I was very pissed and they sucked. Jim also forgot to mention we waited around most of the am because the day before lightning knocked out the timing system.

Last year I was disqualified for not being in my car fast enough for eliminations. This year after my 1 time run and in line to race the "non - Pontiac" race bracket race eliminations - I was strapped in, car running (and running) and was held back to allow a guy to start his car. I waited, waited ,waited- with signals from the track guy like he was broke - then told to go up, then held back. The whole time my car is running. Jeff Raff is by himself, staged. I'm not told what lane to go in - total caos. The other car gets fired up, but another car pulls around and runs Jeff. ??? Then I finally get up to the line - my car was running a very long time - then I notice my dial in is wrong!! - I do burn out get up to the line they correct my dial in and I was too low in fuel - car shuts off - the guy I waited for gets the single - he wins - I'm red bulbed. I was so pissed off I cursed my way to the tower. For what I was disqualified for last year I loose this year from the same thing - only the other way around! Maplegrove must hate Pontiac racers. I was screaming at the track managers - I waited so long, I went through 3 gallons of alky. The track guy (not Gearge - John K) says something about the "purse" and tell him I wasn't racing for the purse and I was supposed to be racing Pontiacs - I proceeded to let him know it was about money - how that track is so hell bent on making a profit - packing the place with 4 events. They just keeping upsetting their racers - I told them "thank God there is other tracks I can race at" I left the tower SCREAMING "this place sucks!!" Bull***** and other profanities. I do not get mad that often, but with everything these guys have done in the past and what went on today - I let loose.

Funny thing is I was prepared for a hetic 1 time run, wait around all day, jammed pack day, But I blew my top when I loose from having my car run out of fuel (and get hot from no cooling system). What a shame I ran a 7.48 for my 1 time run - the best I ever ran there. Someone told me I was one of the fastest "nostagia" cars there.

I hope the Butlers know they were just ripped off for sponsoring a event that was "merged in"

The coffin is sealed for me as well - what a shame as I really like some of the track personel there, I like how close it is, and the place itself.

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform
Old 08-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maple Grove sucks!

My first (and only) timeshot: My car got to the 330' mark and the ass end came around on me. I lifted and coasted through the lights. I pulled over to check out my car and in a few minutes see John Langer (who ran right after me) yelling at the (end of the track) tech guy that the same exact thing just happened to him at the 330 and that they should go check the track. He has to argue with the guy and get in his face so he will check the track. Finally someone goes and looks at the track and sure enough, a puddle of transmission fluid.

We coudn't have been treated worse. We (the Pontiac guys) were a real inconvienence to the track.

Old 08-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Fish

Maple Grove can suck my $#%@!!!! I will never go back EVEN for a NHRA Nat'l event. Even if it was free. I cannot belive the way they run things there.

YouTube videos.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I'm sorry you east coast Pontiac racers with fast cars are treated the way you have been. I wish it was practical for you to come to Pontiac Heaven here in Phx. I would see personally that you were treated properly.
Steve www.pontiacheaven.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 08-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to fast72lemans

Yeah, I though John and I were going to meet at the centerline, Rough day for all. I'm hurt and probably out for the year. Nice meeting you Scott and John. Hope to be running with you, not behind you guys next year!!! P.s I think I should have left them keep the $35.00 entry, it would have been cheeper.

Old 08-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve....wish we could! (I don't have a "fast"
Pontiac, just a Pontiac) Today did suck...lots of waiting around...and for what...most guys only got one time run! I got 2 cuz I went right back around and hopped in the lanes. I had a long ass day, not much fun...although I did have my best times ever.

I look forward to the event at Atco in a few weeks, and even moreso to an event next year to take Maple Grove's place...maybe Cecil??

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 08-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guys,
I am sorry you had to figure it out the hardway..... George is a "Prick" from the word go and could care less about you or anybody else....

I have not been in three years and will not return! Period end of story!!!!!!! The last race there was 2000 and it sucked then and things have not changed... I say that Jim got screwed as well.....

Thank you Jim for putting together "Virginia Motor Sports Park "!!!

Rodney

Old 08-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! Sorry to hear how bad it was for you guys. Looks like I won't be back to Maple Grove either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 08-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maple Grove can kiss my arse! People were very ignorant and waaaaay to many cars for one race day.
I just got off the phone with Russ White and he went four rounds and he didn'e get a dime. Only the winner and runner up will get paid. He said he will never go back and that goes for me also!

If I was Butler I'd ask for some money back.Maple Grove blows!!!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 08-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, that sucks! I sure am glad I decided not to thrash and make it there. Sorry you guys had such a crapy time. Hope Atco doesn't backfire like that.

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 08-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hot Rod and Lil Jack. I need your correct e-mail address so I can send you some pictures from Norwalk.

I also need Scott Esterle's

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry you guys had a bad day. No way was I going this year. Maple Grove sealed their cofffin for me last year at meet after York US 30 Musclecar Madness race. Same deal. Most of the Nostalgia boys packed up and left pi$$ed off. The York Us 30 Nostalgia Nationals at Beaver Springs was great this year. Glad they dumped MG this year.Too crowded and a "don't give a crap" attitude. Tech was understaffed also. I wouldn't go back if they paid me. I wish Jim Zeek the best in making the VA race shine. I will definitly be at Atco and support Paul Spotts too !! Sounds like you spoke for me to Paul. Thanks

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 08-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

I'm also pissed with the way things were run today. Nobody had a clue what was going on. Even though I had my best run ever today I think it's time for a new venue for this race. The problem is our group is still small to some of these tracks. They don't care who you are, they just want head count. Look at Atco. They still run a T+T with us. Whats the best answer? I don't have a clue.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 08-23-2004, 03:39 AM
crazy ray

I figured it would be a bad day as soon as I got there. hell even the car show area was a mud pit. wonder how those people feel. I left at 2 o clock. I won't be back.

Old 08-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Numidia just re-opened w/ new owners. I'm sure they would be happy to have the Pontiac event there!!

Old 08-23-2004, 06:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ron,
roke@adelphia.net

Old 08-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Senior Chief

I GAVE UP ON RACING THIS EVENT A FEW YEARS AGO BUT DID BRING MY TA TO SHOW AND THAT JUDGING WAS AWFUL FOR EXAMPLE 74 - 81 STOCK FIREBIRDS SECOND PLACE WENT TO A CAR THAT HAD EDELBROCK HEADS INTAKE 3" EXHAUST ALUNIM RADITATOR AND A BUNCH OF OTHER MODS HOW CAN A CAR WITH SOME MANY MODS WIN IN A STOCK CLASS