Old 10-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok guys, Its not my classic Trans Am, but here goes. I just purchased a 1999 Trans Am. All was fine. I took it to the muffler shop to get some exhaust work done, and now the radio doesnt work. It was working when I drove it in, but not when I drove it out. It turns on, but no sound. It has the Monsoon system. I already swapped out the stereo and amp with my buddy's 2000 Trans Am and nothing. Both my amp, and stereo work on his car.... WTH??? Anybody got any suggestions? Just got this badass car and no jams..

Old 10-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok guys, Its not my classic Trans Am, but here goes. I just purchased a 1999 Trans Am. All was fine. I took it to the muffler shop to get some exhaust work done, and now the radio doesnt work. It was working when I drove it in, but not when I drove it out. It turns on, but no sound. It has the Monsoon system. I already swapped out the stereo and amp with my buddy's 2000 Trans Am and nothing. Both my amp, and stereo work on his car.... WTH??? Anybody got any suggestions? Just got this badass car and no jams..

Old 10-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if you have power to it , it sounds like an antenna problem. if it is an external antenna , it would have been easy for someone to accidently break it off

Old 10-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Its got a power antenna, It goes up and down when I turn the radio on and off. I went through the wiring giagram, but I cant find anywhere there might be a short.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, you've proven that the problem is in the car itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but that would narrow it down to either the antenna connection or the speakers. I'm assuming that it's more than a radio so if you insert a CD and you still have the problem, that would eliminate the antenna.
I'd check the speakers. One way to do that is to connect a AA battery across the speaker wires. If all is good there, you'll hear a definite buzz from the speaker cone. I guess another way to verify that would be to connect an outside speaker to the audio output connection on the back of the radio while it's in your car.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That was my thought too, but all the speakers went out at once?

Old 10-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know it doesn't make sense but what else is there to check once you've swapped your system into someone else's car and it works.
You could try the other way around. Put your friend's system in your car.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most shops mig weld the exhaust now. Does your system use an amplifier,relay or other componant that could have been damaged by the welder?

Old 10-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Swapped out the factory amp also. I havent been able to find a relay for the radio, or amp. Im sure it has one somewhere. Thanks for the suggestions guys, but Im getting VERY frustrated.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell you what... I'll be visiting my son this weekend; he has a 2000 T/A and a full set of manuals. I'll take a look in them and see if I can give you any hints of where to look.

BTW, as you found out, the manuals would be a good thing to have..$125 at www.helminc.com. Or find a friend with a set

Pricey, but invaluable on modern cars.

Geo

Old 10-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by george kujanski:
Tell you what... I'll be visiting my son this weekend; he has a 2000 T/A and a full set of manuals. I'll take a look in them and see if I can give you any hints of where to look.

BTW, as you found out, the manuals would be a good thing to have..$125 at http://www.helminc.com. Or find a friend with a set

Pricey, but invaluable on modern cars.

Geo <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. I went to the dealer and talked to a buddy of mine. He gave me some copies of wiring diagrams. I think I know what happened. Ill post up if it doesnt work. Thanks for all the input.... And yes these modern cars are a pain in the @ss to work on.

Old 10-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOO HOOO. I fixed it. Seems right where they welded a pipe, was right under where the wiring harness to the factory amp goes. So it melted a little to the floor. Just cut and spliced the wires, and we're in business. I'll go talk to the muffler shop tomorrow. Ive been doing business with them for about 15 years. Ill just tell them next time they do a newer f-body, be carful under the rear passenger seat area. And a discount for the next visit.... BTW thanks for everyones advise... and my buddy for the wiring diagrams, it showed exactly where the wires were going befor I took anything apart.