Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Im having all sorts of problems with the rear calipers on my car. I read somewhere that you can replace them with front rotors off an 80's G body (Monte Carlo, Regal,etc). They take the same pad and the mounting bolts appear to be in the same location. Im not too worried about the emergency brake, cause I never use it anyway. Since I work in auto parts, I can get them for dirt cheep. Anyone ever done this? I plan to do it this weekend, so I would appreciate any info....

Old 01-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Im having all sorts of problems with the rear calipers on my car. I read somewhere that you can replace them with front rotors off an 80's G body (Monte Carlo, Regal,etc). They take the same pad and the mounting bolts appear to be in the same location. Im not too worried about the emergency brake, cause I never use it anyway. Since I work in auto parts, I can get them for dirt cheep. Anyone ever done this? I plan to do it this weekend, so I would appreciate any info....

Old 01-08-2005, 10:01 PM

i've not done this conversion or heard of it for that matter.

as an fyi, if you don't use the e-brake with the 2cnd gen 4wd system you will have a lot of problems with the calipers, pad wear and pedal height.

i'd fix the oem units and be done with it.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What you heard is correct, you can use the 78-88 G, 82-92 F front calipers, they are quite cheap compared to the 79-81 F rears, and of course have the same size piston, so are a perfect hydraulic match.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The reason im trying to eliminate the old calipers is, I rebuilt the originals once already. They only lasted a couple of weeks, then started leaking. Then I bought rebuilt ones, and one of them keeps locking up. I have replaced EVERY brake conponent when I restored the car two years ago. I want to enjoy driving my car, not worrying if the brakes are going to work. Right now it works ok, but if I hit the brakes a little firm, the right rear locks up.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Senior Chief

If any brake fluid or other contaminant got on the pads or rotor it could cause lockup like that. So can a few other things.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One problem you wil have using front calipers on an F body rear end is the brake lines bolt at t different spot on the front calipers. right up next to the axle tube. A 45 or 90 degree bend could cure it but they are not just an deasy bolt on. I was going to do it and decided not to becxause of that. I got some lifetime warranty calipers from O'reilley and get a new set whenever they act up for free!

Also using the front calipers you have to use two passenger side calipers to keep the bleeder screw up on both.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 01-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey, Skip Fix. Funny thing is, I work at O'Reilly. I must have gotten a bad one. When I took off the one that kept locking up, the piston was kinda loose in the cylinder. Probably causing it to bind up.. I guess I'll warranty it out, again, and see how it goes... If not, ill try the others. I can always look in the catolog for a hose that fits a little better, or just bend the one I already have.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:55 PM

Those are the worst calipers GM ever made. They are laways a problem and the rebuilt units always fail quicly. I would do swap and spend extra cash saved on e brake kit.