Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 10-12-2003, 08:22 PM

I have a 55 Star Chief,and I want to return it to a dual exhaust system. According to literature I have read and some items I have viewed Pontiac did offer dual exhaust by mid-year of production. My car is a very late production vehicle. It had dual exhaust at some point, as the hangars are still there on the drivers side under-carriage. My exhaust guy says it looks like it can't be done. The car does have power steering and there is not much room between the power steering and the drag link assy, but it looks like it can be done. I need to find a drivers side header pipe or talk to someone who knows how to do this.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:22 PM

I have a 55 Star Chief,and I want to return it to a dual exhaust system. According to literature I have read and some items I have viewed Pontiac did offer dual exhaust by mid-year of production. My car is a very late production vehicle. It had dual exhaust at some point, as the hangars are still there on the drivers side under-carriage. My exhaust guy says it looks like it can't be done. The car does have power steering and there is not much room between the power steering and the drag link assy, but it looks like it can be done. I need to find a drivers side header pipe or talk to someone who knows how to do this.

Old 10-13-2003, 05:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any reputable muffler shop should be able to custom bend any pipe for the car. Might not be able to go real big on the pipe size but I bet you can at least run a 2 1/4" system under there. Aren't they one of the ones where the pipes run thru the holes in the frame crossovers?

Old 10-13-2003, 07:16 AM
Senior Chief

I had two 57s, and the exhaust shops always gave me a line of BS about they couldn't do this or that. I ended up with 2 1/4 pipes because they claimed 2 1/2 wouldn't fit thru the holes in the frame. I have since started making my own systems with sections of aluminized draw bends and straight pipe, MIGing it together. Looks, works, and fits way better than the typical POS results from exhaust shops.