Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Awful aggressive:

http://www.voodoocams.com

Old 11-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Awful aggressive:

http://www.voodoocams.com

Old 11-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He doesnt list any pontiac cams that I see.
Mike

Old 11-28-2004, 04:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

70GS455,
When you say "awful aggressive" I guess you mean the very short 'advertised seat duration' quoted v the 0.050 figures. Looking at the figures quoted, they do look aggressive. But are they? There is no lobe lift quoted for the 'adv seat duration' figures. Comp Cams uses 0.006" for most of it's hyd flat tappet cams, including the XE series. If Voodoo uses a higher number, such as 0.008", the figures will look more aggressive because the 'adv seat duration' will be smaller. But we don't know because the figures are not given. A mistake?
Similarly, reading the spiel on asymmetric lobes, you could be forgiven for thinking that Lunati just invented them. I have a similar spiel in a Comp Cams catalog, when THEY 'found' As/lobes, date: 1979. Not sure if As/lobes were in use before this date, but I'll bet they were. You just have to watch out for the bs!!

Old 11-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see Comp in 1979 was mentioned. Did you know Harold Brookshire worked for Comp from 1977-1980 ? I was a fan of Ultradyne, sorry to see them go. Going to be a plus for Pontiacs to have Bullett cams picking up the UD grinds along with Lunati, I am looking forward to see what Harold comes up with next. -Jim

Old 11-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Geoff, good catch on the advertised duration lift figure, I just assumed it was 0.006" .

Jim, while Harold was Comp, he designed either the HE or magnum (can't remember which) series in the late 70's.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I get tired of all the bull$***. If you've been around awhile like I have, you get to pick it. But what about the newcomers to the hobby? If they read the Crane advert on page 9 of Nov 2004 isue of HPP magazine, they might rush out & buy a very expensive Crane hydraulic roller cam because Crane's ad reads, in part,: "broadens the power band-with significant under-the-curve torque increases approaching 50%."
So, my 455 which from a desk top dyno program, supposedly develops 560 ft/lbs might make 840 ft/lbs with this 'magic' Crane cam!! I better buy three of them!!
If you bought all the goodies listed for your Pontiac in the Summit catalog that ' increase torque & power by 10%' or 'upto 20% more power & 10% better economy', you probably find your Pontiac makes 1855 hp & gets 223 miles per gallon doing it! LOL!

Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those add-on horsepower numbers only work if you drive a ricer with rear wing and fart pipe. In that case the decals that come with the parts are good for 5hp also . I hear you Geoff, the hype that goes with marketing is BS. I do think asymetrical lobes are worthwhile, can't wait to see what Harold comes out with, should be a plus for Pontiacs. -Jim

Old 11-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

None of those assmetrical, under the curve, girlie man cams for me. Im sticking with my ISKY 5 Cycle!

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the day, I had Ultradyne do a 'Dude Custom Cam' for me.
Had some issues with them and warranty, so I went to Comp. Was supposed to be one of those asymmetric lobe designs.

Gave them the specs. Had them do the same cam in a Comp Grind.... No asymmetrical lobe. No Performance difference.

So be careful of any............ <span class="ev_code_RED">Printed hype</span>

That's why Harvey Crane tried to get all the cam manufactures to use .050 back in the day, just for that reason.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:17 PM

Does anoyone know where I could get a duplicated or nos ultradyne cam? I heard some people talking about the Harold's hydrocam grinds at Lunati. Are they going to duplicate them? I would appreciate any information about this subject. Mike

Old 12-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to the Holley-Lunati website, all the lobes that begin with UClick Here For Lunati Link are Ultradyne lobes. Harold also has some newer lobes that are not on the web . -unsymetrical is the proper term, I used asymetrical wrongly before. -Jim

Old 12-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way, welcome aboard Mike! -Jim