67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-31-2003, 07:01 PM

When I put my engine together for my 69, back in 83', I got me carb from Napa. Now that I'm trying to get my car back on the road I thought I would research what carb I have. Come to find out, I have a 70 Quadrajet that came on FB with M trans. I have never had a problem with this carb. I am running a 350 with auto tranny(faribanks)with a B&M shift kit. Should I be concerned? I am about to get it rebuilt and now I am confuse. Plese help!

Old 05-31-2003, 07:01 PM

When I put my engine together for my 69, back in 83', I got me carb from Napa. Now that I'm trying to get my car back on the road I thought I would research what carb I have. Come to find out, I have a 70 Quadrajet that came on FB with M trans. I have never had a problem with this carb. I am running a 350 with auto tranny(faribanks)with a B&M shift kit. Should I be concerned? I am about to get it rebuilt and now I am confuse. Plese help!

Old 06-01-2003, 05:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Vic - the major carburetor rebuilders 'group' a number of applications together. They then build to a calibration that will work marginally (or better) for all, but won't work as well as the original factory calibration for any.

This is done for a number of reasons, all related to cost:

(A) some cores are scarce, and expensive
(B) with a single calibration for many carbs, inventory (and inventory storage) costs are less.
(C) stocking distributors have much wider application coverage with less inventory.

If you have been happy with the carb all these years, is knowing that you have the incorrect carb going to make you less happy?

As these grouped carburetors are calibrated richer than stock, a completely restored original would probably increase your fuel economy by 5 to 10 percent, and warm driveability might be slightly better.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:39 AM

Vic, FYI I have a 69 with a 400 auto and it too has a quadrajet that was originally for a manual. I often thought of swapping it for an auto model but the car runs good so I've left it alone.