Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-16-2004, 08:25 AM

I have a '67 firebird, and have just put long branch manifolds on the car which required moving of the oil filter (I tried smaller/shorter oil filters, still too long). I have had two differnt versions on the car, the recent one is the remote filter block from Spotts with 2 1/2" hose fittings going straight out of the block. It seems no matter what I do with either of the relocation kits I've tried, I'm getting severe oil leaks--seemingly between the block and the adapter. I've tried just a gasket, the gaskets with permatex Blue, Black, and now the high pressure red. I've tried just the permatex with no gasket...all the same results. MAJOR LEAKS--flowing from the adapter plate. Any ideas?

Old 03-16-2004, 08:25 AM

I have a '67 firebird, and have just put long branch manifolds on the car which required moving of the oil filter (I tried smaller/shorter oil filters, still too long). I have had two differnt versions on the car, the recent one is the remote filter block from Spotts with 2 1/2" hose fittings going straight out of the block. It seems no matter what I do with either of the relocation kits I've tried, I'm getting severe oil leaks--seemingly between the block and the adapter. I've tried just a gasket, the gaskets with permatex Blue, Black, and now the high pressure red. I've tried just the permatex with no gasket...all the same results. MAJOR LEAKS--flowing from the adapter plate. Any ideas?

Old 03-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the plate and block with a straight edge for warpage. How high is your oil preasure?

Old 03-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say you're probably hitting something.

The manifold isn't cocking the plate is it?

I would try to install the plate again with nothing attached to it,no hoses etc.

Then start the bolts,then tighten evenly around the plate.
Sometimes if the top bolt is tightened too tight before the other 2,it'll cock it a little also.

Use a little sealer when doing it then let it dry before starting.

The stock filter adapter won't work with the long branch manifolds.The factory had another adapter that angled the filter back and down.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The first thing that comes to mind is the block surface. Sounds like there are some imperfections on it somewhere. I have used the plates for many years with out a problem.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You didn't use teflon tape on the fittings did you? It can cause the plate to crack.I found out the hard way.Use a sealant on the fittings like indian head or pipe dope,no tape and only use enuf to barely cover the threads wipe off the eccess.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll bet your hitting the egde of one of the adjacent non-machined surfaces w/ the plate.
You'll need to find the interference & relieve the plate to match, so it'll mate up flat.
Might also be an imperfection in the flat machined suface of the block &/or plate. Check both w/ the aforementioned straight edge.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

craig - did the new gaskets do the trick?

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform
Old 03-17-2004, 09:10 PM

About a year ago I built a motor for a customer (big lou) and ran into a similar problem on his 68 GTO. I used a 3/4 piece of aluminum & O-ringed it between the block and adapter, Works great! No runs,No drips, No errors!!