The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A current topic, "4 inch Grinder and Eye Protection" made me think that I should mention this:

I went for an MRI for a sore knee today. Prior to the MRI I had to get an xray of my eyes. They told me that if I ever used a grinder or other metal cutting tools, I could have a small piece of metal in my eye and may not know it. They warned that even having the MRI focused on the knee area, sufficient magnetic field could exist to cause a permanent vision affecting burn from any metal chips.

So, since most of us in this hobby do quite a bit of metal work, I thought you would like to know this if an MRI is anywhere in your future.

Jim

Old 10-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A current topic, "4 inch Grinder and Eye Protection" made me think that I should mention this:

I went for an MRI for a sore knee today. Prior to the MRI I had to get an xray of my eyes. They told me that if I ever used a grinder or other metal cutting tools, I could have a small piece of metal in my eye and may not know it. They warned that even having the MRI focused on the knee area, sufficient magnetic field could exist to cause a permanent vision affecting burn from any metal chips.

So, since most of us in this hobby do quite a bit of metal work, I thought you would like to know this if an MRI is anywhere in your future.

Jim

Old 10-05-2004, 12:15 PM

I just had an MRI this morning. And I do remember the questions about metal pieces, intentional or not. Forgot about the grinding aspect.

I guess I don't have any in my eyes. Things went OK.

69 GTO Hardtop 4spd 400cid
mid-resto
Old 10-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's true, some facilites are more stringent than others on screening. The field strength of the magnet is a big factor also, but your entire body is exposed to the magnetic field in any case. Metal in the eye is a concern but I've never found it. Most metal anyone would be grinding is going to rust in the eye and stain the cornea anyway. There is a 5 gauss line which is the safe limit for anyone concerned about interference from the field. Biggest red-flags are pacemakers and aneurysm clips, but there is actually a book we can refer to for other implants like orthopedics devices, pumps, stents, ect. -MRI Technologist.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 10-05-2004, 03:17 PM

At my 1st MRI the hospital x-rayed my head from every possible angle to determine if I had any metal shavings in my eyes. I didn't know which was worse the X-rays or the MRI

Old 10-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The x-rays, no doubt about it. Although, mri are not pleasant either but sometimes you get to listen to music or watch a dvd.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 10-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you get ANY metal in your eye you will know it! No matter how small it hurts like hell!

This I know.....I was grinding one day and finished up, Just as I was ready to walk away I picked up the hammer because I seen a bolt that I thought wasn't seated. I thought I would just smack it once to seat it, and dammed if a small piece of metal didn't come up and lodge in my eye.

Yes it hurts like hell and it will rust within hours. Then you get to go to the eye doc and let him pluck it out with a needle.

WHERE goggles!

67 Nova
64 Nova
Old 10-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As an eye doctor I can tell you I have never seen a piece of metal in someones eye years after grinding. A small piece on the surface is terribly painful. Get it taken out as fast as possible, the rust is bad. A piece inside the eye would cause severe eye problems as rust is toxic. Not likely anyone would ever have a problem with a MRI.