Old 05-13-2002, 05:48 AM

Did a 76 TA 4 speed car get a separate switch somewhere in the clutch linkage that had to be made in order to start the car? Under the dash my car has a purple and gray 12ga. wire that has been spliced together. It plugs into a purple/white, purple wire through a factory plug off of the main dash harness by the ignition switch on the steering column If there is suppose to be a switch, where might it be located? This wire that has been spliced together is approx. 4 to 5 feet long, so I tend to think it wouldn't be on the pedals. The schematic in the service manual shows a switch, but I have been unable to find any info on the location.

Old 05-13-2002, 05:48 AM

Did a 76 TA 4 speed car get a separate switch somewhere in the clutch linkage that had to be made in order to start the car? Under the dash my car has a purple and gray 12ga. wire that has been spliced together. It plugs into a purple/white, purple wire through a factory plug off of the main dash harness by the ignition switch on the steering column If there is suppose to be a switch, where might it be located? This wire that has been spliced together is approx. 4 to 5 feet long, so I tend to think it wouldn't be on the pedals. The schematic in the service manual shows a switch, but I have been unable to find any info on the location.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The purple and grey wires should terminate into a plug that connects to the neutral safety switch. Look for a metal brace above the clutch linkage and you will find a hole in the brace that the switch mounts to. A sheetmetal type bolt locks it in place. Install it with the switch plunger pointing back towards the clutch pedal arm. Pushing the clutch pedal should depress the plunger and close the switch contacts.

I always carry a spare neutral switch and an ignition switch in the car since they have both died on me over the years.

Dave

Old 05-13-2002, 11:38 AM

Dave,
On my car, the neutral safety switch is a separate switch on the bottom of the steering column. I think the switch you are talking about is the same one I am looking for though. Does it mount the same way as the brake light switch? Do you maybe just use another switch just like the brake light switch? If not, where did you get your spare?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-13-2002, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My bad, shouldn't have used the neutral safety switch term. IIRC, the switch on the steering column below the ignition switch only operates the backup lights.

The 4 speed cars use the separate plunger type switch that works like the brake light switch so that the engine can only be cranked when the clutch is depressed. The switch is a little different because it's not a spring loaded return switch. The plunger has a 90 degree bend at the end that fits into a hole in the clutch pedal arm (?) whatever it's called. Look for where the clutch rod attaches to the clutch pedal and you'll see another hole for the switch plunger. That will give you an idea of where the switch mounts on the metal brace.

I bought my spare years ago at a local parts store. The switch is a Filko NS-84X. Dunno if Filko is still in business.

Dave

Old 05-13-2002, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the info, that was a big help having the part #. I have not been able to locate it as of yet. The part# comes up as discontinued. It looks like I will have to keep it jumped out unless I get lucky and find a parts store with a real dusty one on the shelf.

Old 05-13-2002, 05:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found one local, will be here tomorrow or Wednesday, under $5.00. I'll check it when it shows up, and if it looks correct and you want it, I mail it out. If not, I'll put it on the shelf with the rest of the parts.

Dave

Old 05-13-2002, 06:40 PM

You are the man Dave, where in the world did you find it?
You got mail.

Old 05-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You gotta have connections!

Dave

Old 05-15-2002, 11:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Was that a little package that went out today?

BTW, email me the part number when it shows, I forgot to write it down.

Dave

Old 05-16-2002, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For what it's worth (FWIW), GM part number 3983965, Group 4.054, is called a Clutch Operated Neutral Start Switch.

Old 05-16-2002, 09:37 AM

Thanks Dave, I will let you know when it arrives.

Old 05-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally posted by Held for Ransom:
For what it's worth (FWIW), GM part number 3983965, Group 4.054, is called a Clutch Operated Neutral Start Switch.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since a few people are looking for these switches, I wanted to put all the part numbers on one post. In addition to the GM part number:

Filko NS-84X

Car Quest NS17

I got lucky using the Filko part number as a cross reference. The GM part number can be used at sites like:

http://www.partsvoice.com/

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

The first shows a few dealers with the switch, the second didn't show any but I have found hard to find parts there.

[ May 30, 2002, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: 455Dave ]