67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We've got a '67 Firebird convertible that currently has an aftermarket stereo installed. We are looking for a stock AM/FM radio and are not having any real luck with classifieds or Ebay.

Has anyone tried a rebuilt unit from any particular vendor? We'd like to stick with a stock radio for originallity.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rocky,I found the 67 AM/FM hard to find and very pricy.I had a 67 AM,and had a hidden FM package installed in it.Kept the as-built looks,but had the FM to listen to. You can find AM's for about $25.Work was done by; George Zaha,4900 Green Hollow,Orion ,Michigan48359.phone # 248-3931732

Old 06-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Senior Chief

What does the FM sound like? I heard the early conversions were not that great. I have a 69 & saw a AM/FM go for about $500 and a stereo one for over $1,000 on eBay. A 67-68 may be cheaper, but be prepared.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Hopkins:
Rocky,I found the 67 AM/FM hard to find and very pricy.I had a 67 AM,and had a hidden FM package installed in it.Kept the as-built looks,but had the FM to listen to. You can find AM's for about $25.Work was done by; George Zaha,4900 Green Hollow,Orion ,Michigan48359.phone # 248-3931732 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the comments guys, the price is about what I was figuring.

If anyone else has any other comments or suggestions, please chime in!

Old 06-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had one done ( a stock AM radio) for our 69 SS Camaro. It was done by American Classic restoration of Uxbridge MA. The install was easy as it went in just as a stock radio. I ran a set of high quality Boston Accoustics 6x9 tri-axial speakers. the sound is great. It is prewired for a remote CD and will run up to 4 speakers at 40 watts. It is little difficult to get used to tuning FM stations on an AM dial but humans adapt. I had it down about 4 years ago. I have done the same for my 67 convertible camaro jsut a year ago but haven't installed it yet.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FlowJoe, how do you switch from the AM band to FM?

Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, it is in my wife's car so I found the source had it done and installed it as a Christmas present. Basically I put it in , powered it up to be sure it worked and haven't touched it since so my memory is a bit rusty. I do remember that there is a tiny red LED in the upper left corner of the face to indicate that one is in FM mode (this can be deleted at owners request, however, it is only visible when the unit is on and in FM mode). I can't remember how one switches though. I'll try to remember to ask my wife tonight. Some of the interface is a littel quirky as they use the stock knobs and push button memory. Funny thing is that it looks exactly as original yet weighs about 1/3 of its former weight...it is knd of a mind scramble when you are handling it.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rocky,

consulted the wife. It works like this: turn the unit on with the knob (just like original) and it comes on in AM mode. Turn it off immediately for 1-2 seconds and then turn it back on again and you are in FM mode. Repeat to go back to AM. she said it takes her a few tries sometimes. I think it is worth it to have modern AM/FM sound and preformance in a totally stock package. that's my opinion of course...but it is shared by my wife

Old 07-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mine works the same way.