Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to the track last night and my 70 GTO was running really rich. Bogging off the line at full throttle. I have never taken a q-jet apart. What would be the first step to lean it out? I will probably need to find the size currently, but don't know where they are located(metering rods/jets). I do have a q-jet on the bench I can play with before tearing into the one on my car.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to the track last night and my 70 GTO was running really rich. Bogging off the line at full throttle. I have never taken a q-jet apart. What would be the first step to lean it out? I will probably need to find the size currently, but don't know where they are located(metering rods/jets). I do have a q-jet on the bench I can play with before tearing into the one on my car.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:38 AM

Read this article. I learned quite a bit from it.
http://www.geocities.com/gtopercy/Pi...rajetTech.html

Old 04-25-2005, 06:41 PM

The float can get saturated and heavey over time.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by darkside:
The float can get saturated and heavey over time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, look in the engine after you've run it and see if there is fuel dripping into the manifold out of the idle jet when it's shut off.

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 04-28-2005, 07:53 PM

Well seal on bottom of body to throttle plate could be leaking badly-I always 2-part epoxy these instead of using the worthless well seal foam gasket that dosnt even come in most kits anymore.You can change your primary jets down a few sizes without having to change metering rods. Have fun-My wife used to hate it when I would overhaul carbs on the dining room table years ago.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no where in the original post is there any mention of flooding, nor is there any real evidence it is running rich. "bogging off the line" is usually misadjusted airvalve
GoatDr, what happens _after_ it bogs? does the motor die? misfire? backfire? take off and run strong after initally bogging?

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BVR421,
Holy cow!! Finnaly, someone who actually reads the content of the post!!
Amazing how these posts can run away........

He did mention in his Topic Header that his qjet was running rich but did not describe a rich or flooding condition in his post.

Anyways.... I concur with BRV421

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 04-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Carefull mchell, you might start being called Brian jr.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 04-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yep, must have been in a sarcastic mood when I posted that one.....

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 04-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Suspended

Goat dr. also will your q-jet is apart, polish up the power piston and set float level, i see no one here mentioned your choke?? Is it properly adj/??
what gears are you running, cam?? headers?? i guess you should have about 73,s in the q-jet BE rods in the rear, 44 metering rods up front, see what you got first, one step at a time!!