Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anybody gotten their headers from Ron Watt lately. I have been waiting now for almost 5 months for these things. This is crazy!

Old 07-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hope you haven't paid him yet.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:51 PM

Last I chatted with him a couple of weeks ago...told me mine (and presumably all others since there are only 13 sets in the original March run...would be coated and ready to ship by mid-July.

Seemed quite sincere when talking with him, so thus far still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Plenty of hassles in the working relationship with others for the original construction...now supposed to be all in house.

Hoping this deadline holds because you are right...it's been a long time...and my project has been stalled by this one part. However, I'm still expecting that the fit, finish and performance gains will make the wait still worth it.

Mike

Old 07-07-2005, 06:52 PM

I waited over 9 months for my set of Ron's headers (original order - last year). Would I do it again! You bet! I haven't seen a finer header made for street or street/strip applications. These things look great, fit the second generation Firebird better than any other header on the market, and really wake up the Pontiac torque we all know and love. Ron has had numerous problems with the header companies, they don't want to mess with someone only ordering a very small lot of headers. If you want a header that is a pain to install, and bottoms out on even small bumps, go ahead and buy just about any other brand of header. Dougs, Hooker, Hedman, you name it. You will get a 16 or 18 gauge tube header that will take some time to install, very well might need some slight "adjustment" to get to fit, and, for the stree cars, will hit bumps in the road over about 4" or so.

I'm not here to sell Ron's headers, and like you I was very frustrated at times over the delays, but the product that was delivered blew me away, and exceeded my every expectation.

Alan

Old 07-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto what T/A Fanatic said.

I too was in the first run of 4 speed headers and waited about eight months. However, you are getting a top of the line custom made product for an entirely reasonable price. I wish I would have ordered a round port set in addition to my D ports.

Ron and I have a fair amount of history and I would trust him without question. If Ron has a fault, it's that he won't be involved with a crappy product and that he over-promises on deadlines which depend on things outside of his control.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, it's just been too long now and I have been patient but I am ready for my headers. I sent $700 dollars away almost 5 months ago, and it's just lucky for me tht I have been building a house for the last several months and haven't needed the headers. But that's all prety much done now and it's time to salvage what's left of this season of cruising and racing. How about a little correspondence Ron?

Old 07-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I talked to Ron a few days ago. He just got a new building and his bending equipment ready to go and will start bending tube within a week. He will be making the headers on his own because of the hassles of aftermarket header companies. We should have headers assembled and coated by end of July early August. I to have been waiting about 5 months, but from the people who have his product, it will be worth the wait!

Old 07-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron is doing his own?? That's awesome!!! Maybe I will get a set of round ports next year.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:56 AM

i got the headers and had to waight 2months and they are most defenatly worth the waight ....

Old 07-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

I was also involved with the first run of Tri-Y's for th second gen birds, and deadline after deadline after deadline passed. I really did wonder WTF was going on, and in the back of my mind doubted Id ever see them. Took about 8-9 months if I recall correctly from the original 3 weeks promised, and I eneded up reusing my old smashed to shhit exhaust to keep the car driving and on the road. Got the headers, and still haven't installed them as I havent decided on mufflers. But, I can tell you, the quality of the headers sitting in the box are second to none. Hang in there, don't expect any delivery date, and they WILL show up. Frustrating, and a bad way to run a business, yes, but where else are you going to get a set? It sucks he has so many problems with different companies making these.

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i too have been waiting for 8 or 9 months so far. i am not at the point of needing them just yet though. every now and then i need a bit of communication on the status of their manufacture. ron has called me a couple times and discussed the trails and tribulations of trying to get these made. due to the stated quality and his calls i will keep patiently waiting. it does sometimes get frustrating but i do feel confident that it will indeed happen and we will be pleased with the results.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Boost Engineer

Still hoping a set of 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" Round Port TRI-Ys for a 64 GTO "A" body vehicle will happen at some point from Ron's shop!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing if he's investing in equipment to make them himself it will indeed happen sometime in the future Tom.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing I'm not going to get to drive my car at all this year because Ron's 3 weeks is going to turn into a whole freakin' year.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As hard as it is to wait, unfortunately developing a new product takes time and often runs into unexpected delays.

If you can't wait any longer, why don't you get a refund from Ron and order headers from another source?

73 Trans Am, SD-455, 4-Speed, Brewster Green
73 Formula, 455, 4-Speed, Ascot Silver
73 Formula, 455, Navaho Orange Survivor
Old 07-18-2005, 05:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At this point, I don't want a refund, I want a set of headers. I researched it all out and decided on the tri-y's and paid cash for them up front, 5 or 6 months ago now, and it's time to deliver. What could possibly be taking 5 months to build 15 sets of headers?

Old 07-26-2005, 07:04 AM

Does anyone know how to get hold of Ron W...not email since he never responds to emails. I'd like a phone number or the name of his business in Napa California.

We need to get some info on where his header construction is at. Ordered 5 months ago...deadline after deadline missed and half the cruise/racing season is over up here with my engine still sitting on the stand waiting for headers. Blood is starting to boil

Thanks
Mike

Old 07-26-2005, 02:01 PM

Count me in for info too

Old 07-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i sent him a email and he got right back to me. that was just last week. final electrics were going in the shop so production should be starting about,,,,,now.
actually i asked a different question so maybe it was easier to get back to me.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, when you get a call like..."Where are my freakin' %^$&^^#@$!@# headers you $%%$#%%$!@#."

I guess you may be a little hessitant about calling right back.