Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-27-2000, 10:29 AM

1st, I wanna say that I've learned a tremendous amount from reading these boards & thanks to everybody! My question is, I have a motor that's been sitting un-turned over for about 9 mos. 66 389 4bbl. Oil not yet drained. The heads/intake have been off & the valley & cylinders have been covered w/plastic & towels in the garage. I've poured oil a few times over the lifters. Now almost ready to bolt everything back on, w/new lifters anyway. I'm concerned about what procedure to follow, before I turn it over for the 1st time in so long. I am replacing the water-pump seal, what about the rear main & other dried up & could-be-damaged areas? Thanks !!

Old 08-27-2000, 10:29 AM

1st, I wanna say that I've learned a tremendous amount from reading these boards & thanks to everybody! My question is, I have a motor that's been sitting un-turned over for about 9 mos. 66 389 4bbl. Oil not yet drained. The heads/intake have been off & the valley & cylinders have been covered w/plastic & towels in the garage. I've poured oil a few times over the lifters. Now almost ready to bolt everything back on, w/new lifters anyway. I'm concerned about what procedure to follow, before I turn it over for the 1st time in so long. I am replacing the water-pump seal, what about the rear main & other dried up & could-be-damaged areas? Thanks !!

Old 08-27-2000, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

66- 9 months isn't that long. I would put it back together. Change the oil and filter. Remove the distributor and get a oil priming tool and spin the pump for a minute or so(counterclockwise). Put the distributor back in and fire it up.

Old 08-29-2000, 08:14 AM

Thanks, man. I feel better now. I've heard scary stories & it would suck if it blew up!

Old 08-29-2000, 03:59 PM

I agree that 9 months is not long. Up here in cold country we regularily leave our fun cars parked for 6 months and longer.

One thing I have done in the past is to
take the plugs out, dump some oil in the cylinders and then turn the motor over until the oil pressure builds up before I put the plugs back in. That way you don't have to reset the timing. I am not sure if it works but I have never had a problem with an engine. I also do this when I rebuild a motor.