Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hey folks

I have a 140 MPH speedometer in my GT-37

Has anyone actually burried theuir Speedometer in their GTO/Lemans?

Im sure some have done it in the 1/4 mile..

But what about on the highway?

I dunno if id trust my car at 140, even if it could go that fast (which I doubt it can -as of right now)

DO you think they put the 140 MPH speedometer in as eye candy?

You guys rock!!!

Brandi

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 04-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hey folks

I have a 140 MPH speedometer in my GT-37

Has anyone actually burried theuir Speedometer in their GTO/Lemans?

Im sure some have done it in the 1/4 mile..

But what about on the highway?

I dunno if id trust my car at 140, even if it could go that fast (which I doubt it can -as of right now)

DO you think they put the 140 MPH speedometer in as eye candy?

You guys rock!!!

Brandi

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 04-26-2005, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As stock, I doubt it would do 140.
Some mods to the engine and it could do it but I would want some suspension work first (and probably brake work).

Try the early 2nd gen Firebirds, 160 MPH speedo!
I've seen 130 before on the road, but you don't want a deer to step in front of you.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its not the idea that you can go that fast, but will all of the engine parts hold up to that speed.

I blew up my 78 T/A, 400 doing a lets see how fast it will go thing. It's not worth the trouble.

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 04-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The fastest I've ever been on a public highway was in a friends '71 Torino GT. It had a 351-C with a 4 barrel in it, and a C6 automatic. We had that thing up to 115-MPH with 4 of us in it and it was rockin' and rollin'. I was only 17 at the time and it scared the hell out of me. the whole car felt like it was going to fly apart at any minute, which was surprising because it was no POS, it was a nice ride.

140-MPH speedo. in a stock GT-37 is definately wishful thinking.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Senior Chief

Damn Brian, sounds exactly what happened to me when I was 18. Five of us in a clapped out 72 Dodge Charger. Was racing a Camaro to Boulder CO, my buddy was driving (he was a bit, how shall I say it, insane), got it up to 120 on the speedo, passing on the shoulder, it was nuts!

I would highly advise againest any top speed runs unless and until your car is ready for it....brakes, suspension, seat belts, etc. But it is fun.... had my wife's '99 Concorde up to 110 once, could not believe how nice it drove and it felt like it had a little more left.

Mark Twain
Old 04-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I picked up my Lemans I had it going 140. LOL it had the 308 speedo gear in it with 390's in the back. I think 140 was really around 95-100

Kinda funny running 95 and still getting passed by some cars doing 65-70

The fastest I was on a highway was with a guy I worked with in a Nova. When we got pulled over we were doing 131.? MPH. Like Brian said scares the hell out of you. You could just see the front fenders and hood shake. The guy ended up losing his license out of that mess. Good thing he lived next to his shop.

Question Brandi, Is there KPH & MPH listed on your speedo?

*SOLD * 1971 LeMans street car, 428ci TH350 3:31 12 bolt, 3880#,13.6 @ 101.82 Show & go

1964 Tempest work in progress 400 with Tremec 5 speed

1967 LeMans drop top project. I tracked down my great grand father & dad's old car.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good question, I dunno of they both are listed

When I get home ill pop a look and tell ya.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 04-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been almost 130 mph going the wrong way at night on a divided highway. The guy in front of me turned his lights off . . .

Old 04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before anybody freaks out at that last one, I was a police officer, and the guy turning his lights off was a car thief, and he was caught and nobody was hurt . . .

Lots of good times . . .

In my juvenile delinquency I got an F-body with a small block Chevy up to 140, and it wanted to keep going (was still accelerating) but the engine revs were getting WAY to high with the 3.73 gears,

Old 04-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And then there were the two years in Germany where I could travel at 125 mph or so for literally hours on end, even passing police cars with impunity . . .

Is it still that way over there?

Boy, I had a hard time adjusting when I came back to the U.S.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've gone 145mph in a 1979 Z28. The car drove fine (actually generated down force at 90+) BUT I would want BIGGER, MUCH BIGGER brakes!

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 04-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did 135 in my 74 Grand Am just before the left rear tire exploded. It was stock except for the H-O Racing carb and distributor kits.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:44 AM

I got my 70 bird up to 130 on the highway. I had some suspension work done to it though so it wasn't that bad.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the '71 to just over 120 one night and ran out of room so I had to get out of it. Then there's the other car...

If anyone wants to try the ultimate high speed running, you have to enter an event like the Silver State Classic, Pony Express, or one of the 10 or so equivalents.

http://www.openroadracing.com/
http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Briefly getting well into the triple-digits is fun. Sustaining that speed for 90 miles is just simply incredible. And, it's legal!!!

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've gone 140 in a viper and there was a lot left. It wasn't at all stock. It was pretty stable. I'd want to be somewhere where there aren't any cars around next time though.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:31 PM

78 Trans Am, stock speedo wrapped back to a little past 0. No idea how fast, and I didn't do it often, but I was running kinda late, and it was one of those deals that you really don't want to be late for. I passed a pretty bad accident on the back side of a small town in south Georgia, and thought to myself that any cop within 50 miles would be at that accident, as there must have been 10 cars. So, I floored it, and kept it there, and about 15 miles later, I haul ass around police car, and he throws on the blue lights. I coast to a stop, as running wasn't an option, and wait for him to catch up to me. He came up to my car with his hand on his gun, and asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I decided not to lie, and said that with such a bad accident 10-15 miles behind me, I didn't think there would be another police car between me and Florida, so I had it going as fast as it would go, and it wouldn't register that fast. He said it was 143. I was pretty impressed, it had some work into it, but still had the 2.56 rear gears, so it was geared for the top end. Anyway, he asked me why I was in a hurry, and I told him my ship was leaving for Iraq the next day, and had been called off of leave, which I really was. This was the first go around with Sadaam, and he just simply said, "Son, be careful over there, slow it down some, and kick those sumbitches all the way back to Baghdad."

Old 04-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tacked my 160 speedo out with 3.08s in the car but the speedo gear was wrong LOL.
I did go 165 mph on a friends Hyabusa and got scared of it and backed out once I was able to look down at the speedo, it had alot more left in it and that was from a 5 th gear roll at 80 and I didnt bother to put it into 6th "kinda scarry to think there are alot of kids rolling around here on those 200 mph bottle rockets
Mike

Old 04-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

142 mph(160 speedo)in my 68FB/400/3.23 before putting in 3.73's. Car was to unstable to go faster even at 130 mph All the way back around to 5 mph(140 speedo)in a 70GP/400/2.78's Dont even want to do that again. We were kids. Broke a outer tie rod in the 70 at 120 mph a week later It slammed the wheel back into the wheel house about 70 degees. Stopped fast and straight though

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 04-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Chief

2.41 gears and 5200-5500rpm with 26" tall M/T Sportsman Pros on the highway is not the brightest idea in a 77 T/A, trust me! I am sure they grew to 27" tall. No matter what the real mph was the car litterally floated going over a small bump. I will never forget that fealing. I never did it again!

I was racing a friend of mines Talon on the highway years ago. My shift light was on in third gear 5400 rpm with 28" tall tires and 3.42 gears. He was playing with me on topend, and after a few seconds police lights popped up way back. We slowed down and merged over to the slow lane. After a little while the cops drove right on by us. That was a close one!