Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-03-2001, 11:49 AM
Senior Chief

Hi again all... Well, after months of getting everything together, Think I'm only a few short weeks of getting this thing assembled. Of course the car is sitting outside completely gutted and seeing how long the engine took it will be quite some time before it gets a chance to run. What I'm wondering about is leaving the thing sit that long. worried about surface rust,etc. Read on CL Pontiac somewhere about bearing lube that lasted for months without a problem. Engine will be in the house. Think I should go ahead and put it together or leave in pieces and save final block machining untill car is ready for it?
Thanks again
Bob

Old 06-03-2001, 11:49 AM
Senior Chief

Hi again all... Well, after months of getting everything together, Think I'm only a few short weeks of getting this thing assembled. Of course the car is sitting outside completely gutted and seeing how long the engine took it will be quite some time before it gets a chance to run. What I'm wondering about is leaving the thing sit that long. worried about surface rust,etc. Read on CL Pontiac somewhere about bearing lube that lasted for months without a problem. Engine will be in the house. Think I should go ahead and put it together or leave in pieces and save final block machining untill car is ready for it?
Thanks again
Bob

Old 06-04-2001, 03:44 AM
Senior Chief

Wow! Just noticed I'm a Sr. member now

Old 06-04-2001, 01:18 PM

Well not a professional I have rebuilt a number of engines with the guidance of a friend that has an automotive machine shop and who builds racing engines.

They generously use assembly lube, honey as they call it, when building an engine. This would be on all of the internal parts engine bores etc.

This stuff sticks and is very hard to wipe off. They say it will last for a very long time. I have had engines that I have done this to and let sit for a number of years without a problem.

Good luck..I have found building the engines a very enjoyable part of redoing a car. Nothing like throwing in a few extra performance goodies with the money you save.

Old 06-04-2001, 03:43 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks XCHEVYGUY. Guess I'll just go ahead with building this and ask the machinest about it, what I need and how to clean it up before start up. Ex Chevy... hmmm. This Poncho is going in an 87 Camaro. Thought I would get banned off the board when I told everyone that but didnt, (good people here).Lot of memories in this car.
Bob