Old 07-11-2000, 12:23 AM

I was wondering if any one has made some boxed arms out of their stock ones, what it may entail or if it is just better to go with some hotchkis. I was just going to trime them a little on the bottom and mig a flat piece of similiar thickness to the bottom, will this work?
thanks
roger

Old 07-11-2000, 12:23 AM

I was wondering if any one has made some boxed arms out of their stock ones, what it may entail or if it is just better to go with some hotchkis. I was just going to trime them a little on the bottom and mig a flat piece of similiar thickness to the bottom, will this work?
thanks
roger

Old 07-11-2000, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah Roger I boxed a set up for my 65 LeMans. I am not a welder so I just bought some flat stock the same thickness of the control arms and had it welded to close up the channel. I also wrapped it around the ends to close up the opening and make them a little stronger.

Tim Corcoran

Old 07-11-2000, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check with the sponsors of this board as they have the stock style inserts for sale. Just weld em' in. No funky red paint or boy racer decals... These inserts are bent like stock to nearly encircle the swaybar mtg hole area & further strengthen the lower arm. BTW, original boxed rear arms were welded in with a nasty old arcwelder.

Old 07-11-2000, 05:59 PM

Roger;
Go to www.goatsgarage.com , and check out his resto on his 66 GTO. He sells a suspension upgrade kit, which includes what you need to box your rear control arms.
It's a good read at the very least, the guy has a nice 66. See ya......Larry

------------------
Cruise On!!!

Old 07-18-2000, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Yeah, you need more than 1 flat piece of metal. The originals had reinforced vertical strips that further reinforced the "box". Those are the ones available from us and several other sources. Cost around $35.00. Yet we sell many of the $200+ repro sets for some reason.

Old 07-22-2000, 09:58 PM

CCASS;

So what you're saying is the weld in $35 inserts will yeild you the same stregnth control arm as an original/repro unit? I think most folks don't think they will and opt for the high buck repro units....

Mike

Old 07-30-2000, 04:52 PM

Mudhen - I have an original boxed control arm (have no idea what GM if it is off of or the year) and I have made a set, using the plates , on my '66 GTO stock control arms. Other than the fact the plates didn't have the little V notch at each end (I got them from Original Parts Group before Chris started carrying them. I believe the ones Chris sells has the notch).

The metal in the weld in plate looks just like the original and the gage is the same. After I welded them in and powdercoated them I'd defy you to tell which one was original (other than the afore mentioned V notch). Are they as strong as originals. YES. Are they as strong as aftermarket arms. NO. I put Hotchkis on my car, but I also put four wheel disk brakes on it too.

Bottom line. If you want equal strenght as the original boxed arms, then the $35.00 plates are an easy and inexpensive way to go. If you are looking for max strength then shell out the $750.00 or so.

Ed