Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Senior Chief

Question Offset Axle Bearing

I've been looking to get a good used axle (passengenger side is worn at the bearing mounting area) for my 69 Firebird - 10 Bolt non posi for 3 years now. I'm driving on borrowed time, as the current axle was peened to fit a new standard bearing. At a recent swap meet a guy told me they now make offset bearings so it can make contact with a good part of my existing axle and they would get back to me & never did. Has anyone heard of these offset axle bearings & know of a source? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Suspended

WallyB,

The "Axle Saver Bearing" is available from most all aftermarket sources, such as Pep Boys, Autozone and Kragen Auto Supply. The cost is about $50.00 per axle for the bearing.

The bearing is self-contained and has a seal already driven in place. The rollers are smaller and there are more of them. I don't remember the exact count on the rollers, but I seem to recall stock had 9 rollers and the Axle Saver had 12 rollers.

The bearing is driven into the housing until it stops. It is offset and will allow the rollers to ride farther out toward the axle flange on the unworn section of the axle.

I have used these before, but you be careful about using an axle that is deeply grooved. I will use one if an axle has a few pits, but I will NEVER use an axle with a groove worn across the full circumference of the axle.

I hope this information is helpful...Robert

Old 08-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Offset axle bearings is for C-clips Chevy rear-ends only.
A genuine Pontiac (and Buick and Olds too) rearend uses pressed-on bearings with a retainer ring and bolted retainer plate.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

there is 2 available on Ebay. I was about to buy them but I found one at the last minute in a junk yard.

Look at this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

good luck,

Old 08-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Senior Chief

Unhappy I guess I'm kind of stuck?

It looks like the offset bearing only fits chevy?
The guy on eBay only ships to the USA - I have a contact in the USA and she visits my nephew monthly, but won't bring anything heavy or large to Canada.
I never saw my axle when the mechanic peened the worn area to dimple the surface, offering a tempory fix - 3 years ago ... I would think it's worn all the way around, but don't know how deep or wide.
Iguess I'll have to keep searching.
Thanks for the help!

Old 08-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

www.tomsdifferentials.com can get you new axles.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Senior Chief

Deal with the guy on Ebay, he was willing to ship to Canada for me. I offereed him to cover his extra cost to find out that's only for the extra work that he rather ship USA only. Ask him to call you and he will do.

good luck,

Old 08-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Suspended

use a bearing isolator instead, cost about the same as an axle, but if axles are not available, this is a better fix than offset bearings and such.