Old 08-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My (ex) Judge is on Ebay now!

Should I be pissed that the Guy I sold my Judge to last month is pimping it out on Ebay now? I'm not sure why, but it's kind of bugging me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JUDGE...QQcmdZViewItem

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 08-05-2005, 07:31 AM

Angry Irritating indeed....

I suspect that the guy bought it without consulting with the War Department (wife). Once she found out, an immediate declaration of sale was layed down upon this guy.

But to answer your question...yes I would find this irritating.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

R 70,
I had a question about that ad. Guy says that, "I am including a concourse correct restored date coded Rochester carburetor (part number 7029273, date code 0020 = 20th day of 1970)."

Shouldn't this be a 7040273? As dicussed in other posts, the 1969 RA III and IV motors actually used different carbs, as opposed to 1970 where the 7040273 was correct for a 49-state manual RA III/IV car.

FWIW - I'd feel a bit peeved if I sold my car and the guy was just trying for a flip sale, but maybe Jeff is right. Perhaps it's causing unrest at home. You should call him up to see if he will sell it back to you.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

May have been a typo. He states later in the ad that there is a 7040273 for it.

A January-dated intake on a May-built car with April-dated heads? That seems a bit off. At the very least, the heads and intake should have matching dates. R 70, did this car ever have it's intake chaged?

Old 08-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Trust me, that guy doesn't have unrest at home (maybe at work--Homeland Securtiy), he's a flipper. I've seen several Judges he's sold on ebay for about a yr now--he's posted on here a time or two. He just auctioned an Orbit Orange car that was all #s matching that went to 19,200 and was dissassembled. I don't know what he paid you, but I'd say he's figuring on making a few grand on your car.

I got the feeling you didn't want to go thru the ebay thing anyway, so I'd just be content with making good money off the car yourself. If I remember, you got the car at a good price. I've had the same done to me though. Guys that do this stuff all the time have an advantage because they can emotionally remove themselves form the cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4564327851

Old 08-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No one should be irritated or angry. People these days are flipping muscle cars like real estate and you too could have put in on ebay to get maximum coverage and perhaps a higher price. This is the way things are now in the current market place. Some advice for all of us to heed is don't sell your car even if you have the least bit of reservation as you will regret it one day. We all have done it with past vehicles and then have ill feelings thereafter.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

R70, if he gave you a song and dance of how he would keep this car forever and restore it to full glory, then whittled you down on price - be PI$$ED for sure. As mentioned, he flips cars like coins in a fountain.

If he traveled across country and paid your price, well.....oh well. Did you not want to try eBay first yourself ? Or did the guy "romance" you out of the car ?

He states several things in the ad that are very 'fluffy', so I assume he probably fluffed you some too. I have always considered it standard etiquette to kiss someone before AND after you F@C# them. Did you get any smooches ?

Racer: if the 7029273 exists (part number 7029273, date code 0020 = 20th day of 1970) it's either from a 1969 and 1/2 Trans Am/Bird or a service replacement. I agree 100% about intake date being off balance, but easily remedied.

I predict car will bid to about 25+, reserve is probably 30+. I have been wrong (low) before. I doubt he paid over 20. In the car industry, they call this 'doing business'. That's how used car salesmen got such a wonderful reputation.

The White 69 Judge on eBay has the same story.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Suspended

I hope I didn't imply he's doing anything unethical. I'm just saying those guys can remove themselves emotionally where most of us can't (and they know it)and yes, he's a flipper. I think he contacted me about my car a few months back right before you offered your car for sale on PY. Let me ask you, did this guy contact you out of the blue through email from PY BEFORE YOU ADVERTIZED YOUR CAR? Cause that's what I got and said no thanks.

I'd rather have your old blue car than my OO car so maybe I'll bid. The '69 Judge he auctioned had to be put up a couple of times before it sold.

The guy I bought my car from is probably sorry he didn't ebay it, but I still have it even though I told him I didn't know if I'd keep it or not. I found him through ebay and bought him out a large amount of stuff---which I still have.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:58 AM

I agree with Baron. I'd be pissed if he told you that he was going to keep it to restore and enjoy. I was shocked when I logged back in here and saw that you had sold the car. That car is my dream Judge and I wish I could've bought it from you. I've been jealous of it ever since I read your story from LS2.com about finding the car.

I hope it goes to a good home.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that I would be somewhat pissed, but I don't know if I'd have a right to be. If you are happy with the price that you sold it for, it shouldn't matter what this guy gets for it. I think that we've all got a pretty good idea what a RA III 4-spd Judge in this condition is worth. We see them sell every day on Ebay. You could have put it on Ebay yourself and taken top dollar. It is unfortunate if you gave the guy a deal thinking that he would eventually restore the car to its previous glory. Unfortunately, it's hard to know who you are selling to. Should the guy that you bought the car from be pissed at you? I'll bet that you sold the car for quite a bit more than you paid for it, and I suspect that the previous owner may have assumed that you would restore it to its former glory instead of doing what you did, which was to flip it. You may have fully intended to restore it, and you may very well have done so had the value not increased substantially over the past few years. Any way you slice it, you sold it because it was worth more in your pocket than in your garage.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry in advance for the long post........

I guess I'm over reacting. I knew there was a very strong possibility that he would sell it to someone else. In fact, he had a buyer lined up for it when I sold it to him, but the buyer backed out. I didn't have a problem with it.

I honestly really loved that car a lot and had a very hard time letting it go. If it wasn't for the fact that I've had 2 children in the past 3 years I would have restored it. I just never had the free time.

Believe me, he didn't get it cheap. I have no problem with what I sold it for. I was very happy with the price. In fact, I doubt I could've got more on Ebay. I don't have any sellers remorse. ------ I guess I just didn't want to see it on Ebay. Maybe it's just me, but Ebay seems like a clone/re-body/re-stamp shady used car market.

The nice gentleman that I got the car from was in very poor health when I purchased it. He loved the car just as much as I did (probably more) and I don't like to see him being exploited in pictures on Ebay and being asked to supply documentation of original ownership. Like I said earlier, he is a really nice guy and I would've preferred he was just left alone. I think a phone call to verify he was the original owner would've been sufficient. (Yes, I supplied a Name, address, and phone # of the previous owner)

BLKBRD - I wouldn't call owning a car for 5 years flipping it. I sold it to build a race car...Not for the money.

PonchoV8 - I contacted him to see how much his Bermuda Blue car sold for 6 months earlier. I told him about my car...yada, yada, yada

Baron Von Zeppelin - No song and dance. I knew what he did. I don't regret selling it. I got every penny I wanted for it. If he can make a few $$$ good for him. Really.

racerboy - The heads, intake, block, exhaust manifolds, etc... Are all original to the car. The car was shipped in mid May. Late April heads would be correct for it. - I've come across quite a few completely original cars. = don't believe everything you hear about "correct" date codes. ~ just my .02

I really like to drag race. I couldn't bring myself to abuse/modify a Judge that was so original. I sold the Judge and purchased a '63 Le Mans to build a race car out of...... I won't have any problem with sticking in a race engine/roll cage and beating the crap out of it every couple of months at the strip. I couldn't do that to the Judge.

Honestly, I don't regret selling it. I just don't like how the original owner is being treated.

Last edited by R 70 Judge; 08-05-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Suspended

That's sounds like a different guy then the one that contacted me---I told him about your car is all. It was someone that said he and his girl wanted one. Can't remember his name and didn't want to dig thru the email list.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

R 70, glad you seem to be more at ease with your car and the surrounding circumstances. Sounds like everything is on the up and up. I agree about the original owner being semi-exploited, or even full blown exploited. Hopefully he gave permission for his pic to be posted.

I have a car I bought from the original owner in 1989 that I may sell in the not-to-distant future, also. Been wondering how to handle that end because he would hardly talk to me and I doubt he wants to chit-chat with anyone else or pose for pictures. He just wasn't happy about selling his car, can't and didn't blame him.

P.S. I think Racer was mostly pointing towards the Intake (January) casting date, not the heads or block.

Best wishes with the race car. Pair of NOS headlight bezels either on here or eBay for a 63. Think it was here.

Have a great weekend

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 08-05-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Baron, I have to agree with Blkbrd on this one. No one should be pissed. I have 'flipped' dozens of cars over the past 20 years or so, and I have had cars that I have kept 12 years or longer. Any time I sold either one, when I made a deal, it was a deal. After I was paid, I really didn't care if the buyer ran the car off a cliff (well, maybe I preferred he didn't do that, but you get the idea), the car was his to do what he wanted with. It really didn't make any difference whether a buyer told me he was going to keep it or whatever, if I got whatever price I thought was fair, then that was OK. As a matter of fact, if a buyer happened to sell it and make a few bucks, then I figured that was all for the better. He may be back and want to buy another car from me later. And believe me, I have been attached to some of my cars, I just don't price them until I get ready to sell them. Wish the guy luck and hope he makes a few bucks on it.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H.
Baron, I have to agree with Blkbrd on this one. No one should be pissed. I have 'flipped' dozens of cars over the past 20 years or so, and I have had cars that I have kept 12 years or longer. Any time I sold either one, when I made a deal, it was a deal. After I was paid, I really didn't care if the buyer ran the car off a cliff (well, maybe I preferred he didn't do that, but you get the idea), the car was his to do what he wanted with. It really didn't make any difference whether a buyer told me he was going to keep it or whatever, if I got whatever price I thought was fair, then that was OK. As a matter of fact, if a buyer happened to sell it and make a few bucks, then I figured that was all for the better. He may be back and want to buy another car from me later. And believe me, I have been attached to some of my cars, I just don't price them until I get ready to sell them. Wish the guy luck and hope he makes a few bucks on it.
Re-read the parts in bold print.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

R70, I was tired and about half asleep when I read this post. Somehow I thought there were TWO deals being discussed, and I thought the OP was Baron! I read your last post and understood that you were ok with your deal. Getting this CRS disease in my old age. I apoligize. After looking at the ad, I do agree that the new seller kinda exploited the original owner on the deal. Before I retired from the new car dealership, The new 'privacy laws' had gotten so out of hand that when we took a car in on trade when had to get a statement signed as to whether it was ok or not to release their name to a prospective new buyer. Some didn't want the hassle of being called up to be asked about their old car. Then it seemed like we were trying to hide something. It was a bunch of BS. Again, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Question for R70

Someone on e-bay questioned whether the car had been in an accident due to the new front fenders which are on the car. Was the car in an accident or were the fenders replaced due to rust issues, as the seller has claimed?

Old 08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it's at $22k + now & the reserve hasn't been met yet! Judging (no pun intended!) from what these cars are going for I may be tempted to sell my 70 RA IV Judge to the highest bidder before I bother to restore it!
R70, I hope you pulled at least $20k out of your Judge, it look's like it was a pretty nice car!
Steve

Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer
Someone on e-bay questioned whether the car had been in an accident due to the new front fenders which are on the car. Was the car in an accident or were the fenders replaced due to rust issues, as the seller has claimed?
Dings and dents..... yes, but no major accidents.

I did replace the front fenders due to rust damage. The original fenders were in rough shape.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v
Well it's at $22k + now & the reserve hasn't been met yet! Judging (no pun intended!) from what these cars are going for I may be tempted to sell my 70 RA IV Judge to the highest bidder before I bother to restore it!
R70, I hope you pulled at least $20k out of your Judge, it look's like it was a pretty nice car!
Steve
LOL! Yes, I got WELL OVER 20 K for it. Like I said before, I was very happy with the price I sold it for. You won't find too many former Judge owners that say they are happy that they sold it.

Unless you have a major itch (like me) to build a racecar, I'd say keep it. Although you could probably get a TON of money for it.....and I mean a TON!