Old 09-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '70 Judge Rear Spoiler

I've seen pictures of factory rear spoilers and they have all had a seem running just inside the perimeter on the bottom of the spoiler. The pedestals also have an obvious seam around them where they mount to the spoiler. I've got a Sept '69 Judge that is unmolested, has the original paint, and has been off the road since 1976, and there are no seams on the underside of the spoiler. Although the spoiler is in decent condition, it is weathered, so I don't belive that it is a repro. Has anyone ever seen a factory spoiler in which the seams were filled? This is not the earlier type spoiler with the pedestals moved out to the sides.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The person who owned my Judge before me had a spoiler like that. This was on a 06A Pontiac built car. He ended up getting rid of it because he didn't know if it was original or not. I had found one with the seams and sold it with the Judge.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 70 Judge that was built on Oct 9 1969 in Oshawa Ont and it was sitting since 75 and had original paint it has the spoiler that has no seams on the bottom.My 70 Judge convert had the same style of spoiler so I believe both styles were put on at the factory

Old 09-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Chief

Well, I have 2 70 judge's and both spoilers have no seem on them, I to has wondered if they were right or not, But my black 70 has been sitting since 1973 in a barn, BUT it does have a little drain hole in the center of the spoiler. the second judge I sold and can't remember if it had a drain hole or not.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never noticed the drain hole. I just thought that pile of crud on the underside was the remnants of some insect home. After scraping it away, sure enough, there was the drain hole.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The spoiler my friend got rid of also had the weep (drain) hole. But, it had solid pedestal mounts unlike the ones with the seam (hollowed out).

Old 09-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My pedestals are also solid.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 Judge Spoiler info

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBRD
I've seen pictures of factory rear spoilers and they have all had a seem running just inside the perimeter on the bottom of the spoiler. The pedestals also have an obvious seam around them where they mount to the spoiler. I've got a Sept '69 Judge that is unmolested, has the original paint, and has been off the road since 1976, and there are no seams on the underside of the spoiler. Although the spoiler is in decent condition, it is weathered, so I don't belive that it is a repro. Has anyone ever seen a factory spoiler in which the seams were filled? This is not the earlier type spoiler with the pedestals moved out to the sides.
This seamless spoiler is indeed correct for the early Judges. Unfortunately, I have not been able to document whether or not this was a plant specific scenario or exactly when they were no longer used. I have this spoiler on 2 of my October 1969 Arlington built cars and have documented them on a few other September and October Arlington built cars as well. Maybe someone out there has an original Judge built at another plant or a build date later than October that is equipped with the early type spoiler???? Please let us know!!!This early seamless spoiler is also substantially lighter than the later (seamed) replacement. Both spoiler designs had the weep or (Drain) hole in the center of the underside. Although the seamless; lighter spoiler is correct for the earlier Judges, they are inferior in quality. This was the reason for the re-tooling and replacing them later in the production year with the heavier seamed unit.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, my old Judge had two anomalies (so far) being a June '70 Pontiac built unit? An early spoiler and an early radiator shroud. Hmmmm, new owner, I hope you're listening...

Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Judge was also built at the Arlington plant.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Senior Chief

I thought the originals had the seams and the reproductions were solid. How can you tell the diff. between originals and repos if they are both solid with no seems.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is the bottom of the original spoiler from a 70 Judge Conv 10A Pontiac Assm plant... SMOOTH and Solid Pedestals also this is the W I D E Mounting spoiler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpoilerInProcess small.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	34993  

Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Wasn't...

there a production change that relocated the spoilers? I was told, while researching my O/O '70 Judge, that due to a reverberation on the deck lid, the spoilers were relocated so that the studs went thru two plies of metal instead of just one. Would this not call for relocating the "legs" as well? Just curious.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool BTW...

just sold an original '71 spoiler that was stripped bare. Definately had panels on bottom side, but no clue as to production date.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jegstek, where did you hear that info? It is the same conclusion that I came up with from just seeing what had happened to the decklid on the Conv. The car only has 55k miles and the decklid was bent in about 1/4 inch where the pedestals contact the deck lid. This could explain why there woould be parting lines in the molds. The molds would have had to be cut apart and then reassembled in order to move the mounts inboard.
Imagine the bottom half of the mold that had the mounts recessed in it as a rectangular block. If you took it and needed to move the mount portion of the mold inbound then you would have to cut the mold into 7 pieces and for arguments sake label the pieces A/B/C/D/E/F/G with A and G being the ends, B and F being the Pedestals, C and E being the width that you were going to move the pedestals in by and finally D the remaining center section.
The new order of parts would be A/C/B/D/F/E/G this would also explain all of the parting lines (which if you look at any other GM spiler is not there. The manufacturer probably did not have time to build an entirely new mold.

Here are a few more pictures and an original Pontiac Promotional Photo showing the Wide Spoiler Mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InsidedecklidholesSmall.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	35052   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheJudgeTrunk.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	35053   Click image for larger version

Name:	OriginalJudgeAdver2small.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	35054  

Old 12-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Cannot recall...

but possibly Scott Tiemann. If not, I'm sure he would know. I just remember it making sense when it was explained. as I had looked at '70s and '71s, trying to figure out why the locations differed. I'll bet Dan Jensen could give you the dates of the revision. He has a '71 amd his brother, Dennis, has a '70. Has to be a bulletin on it somewhere. Good luck. Ron

Old 12-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In order to minimize the Flex of the deck lid I took a 3/4" wide piece of 3/32" flat stock and slotted it so that the spoiler studs would go through it.
Installed the spoiler and then bent the flat stock "to get it through the hole" then used a long magnet on a stick to hold it and put the nuts on. After the "modification" there was much less wobble and flex on the decklid.