Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default rear springs (wagon springs on a GTO?)

Alright guys I need some help.

I have a 66 GTO. I bought the car with 3" spacers under the rear springs. I am sure they are the original springs also. I am going to run 15x8 cragar ss rims with 5" backspacing and 255x60 BFGoodrich radial TAs.

I like the raised rear end look. I do not think putting spacers under the springs is the answer to raising the rear. I am not going to put airbags on my car either. I am going to get edelbrock shocks for the car too.

I have read in this forum about putting 66 station wagon springs in the rear will keep the rear raised. I also heard it is to stiff of a ride. I read they will top end your shocks. I also read some company makes springs with 3" more for the height.

Question:
Should I get station wagon springs? ( I know some of you do or did. help me)

Who makes a softer but 3" longer spring for a 66 GTO?

How can I keep my rear end higher without spacers?

I live in Detroit and can get springs from Eaton Detroit Springs without having to order and get them shipped. ( I do not know if they make custom springs)

I hope this makes sense.
please help me.
fb66

Old 01-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to "Puddles the Pontiac"

before and after new station wagon springs rear, and new stock stprings front. if shocks are an issue, use wagon shocks too. i used stock shocks on the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-29-2005 08;33;51PM.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	37844   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-29-2005 08;36;29PM.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	37845  

Old 01-05-2006, 10:47 PM

Try http://www.coilsprings.com/ I got springs for my 65 catalina wagon. just told them the year make and I wanted a 1 inch lift and they said no problem . they already had the specs. I'm sure if you wanted 3 or 6 inches from stock that they would be able to do it. They did mine and shipped it to me for bout 160. and they ride smooth!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	563546_1_full 65.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	37846  

Old 01-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

puddles,
How is the ride? Is it really stiff? I do like the ride height.

When people say they have a stiff ride. What do they really mean? Does it mean you feel every bump in the road?

Will stiffer springs help stop wheel hop?

I like the wagon. I need wagon springs for my GTO. Not wagon springs for a Wagon..

BRING ON THE PICTURES!!!!! I LOVE PICTURES!!!

Old 01-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

the ride itself isn't too bad, it is the rebound that is a little weird though. like when you went over speed bumps, it would jar the back tires down on the other side of the bump, that may be because i am bottoming the shocks. though like i said, you can get station wagon shocks, too, at advanced auto parts or another parts store. easy to get really. other then that, they arn't the best springs for the drag strip (bad weight transfer) but they do work. i never had a wheel hop issue either way, decent shock may cure that. hope this helps, oh by the way
GO HAWKEYES!

Old 01-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Senior Chief

be careful with the wagon springs. I think I still have a new pair of 72 wagons if I could be sure of which ones they are in the pile of springs. I know this is an extreme example but I'll share it with you.

I put a pair on a 72 GP during restoration following some errant advice. they jacked the rear up so much (3-4 inches) not only did I not like it but when I sent the pics to haggerty for insurance purposes they DENIED insuring the car as stock. said it was jacked up like a race car and wanted verification of the engine, etc.

I was going to change them anyway and subsequently did to acceive the look I wanted. voila... insurance problem solved

agree with prior posts. if you want an additional inch of lift order them that way

Old 01-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can order 66GTO springs with an extra 3" added to the length?

What would be the differance than?

Are GTO springs a little soffter?

FB66

Old 01-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Contrary to popular notion, 3" is huge (when it comes to car springs ). I have wagon springs in my '66 'vert, and that, combined with the Hotchkis front uppers and TA spindles that lower the nose an inch, give the car a pretty good rake. It is nowhere 3" higher in the back though. I am probably going to take them out, as it sits a bit higher than I like.

I'll see if I have any pics that show it. For some reason, the angles of the pictures I have don't really show what it looks like.

I had 255/60-15s on 15-8 Rally I repros with 5" backspacing and they fit with tons of room to spare. I do have a later rear in it though, which is 1" wider than the stock '66.

These pics are with 235/60-15 BFG drag radials.

The one with my daughter standing next to it is probably the best at showing the amount of rake to it.

The last one in the driveway is decieving, as it is parked on a slight hill.

It's funny, I don't have any profile shots of the car! I'll have to rectify that!

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Last edited by Tripower455; 01-07-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out the shocks thread below.

I raised my 67 with 3 inch lift springs from Eaton, But they are just longer GTO springs, wihile it will lift the car up, it is a better ride.
The staion wagon springs, while yes they will raise the rear, the SW springs were designed to carry a weight load, so when installed on your goat, will be overly stiff.
My car has a nice comfy ride, and the rear doesn't really raise the full 3 inches.
It's really 2 +. keep in mind also if you have a couple of guy's in the back seat also. Add 400 lbs on a exit ramp, nice to know you have the clearance. 5 inches of backspacing for your tires, makes the equation much easier also. My passenger side wheel lip was way to close to the tires with 4.5 inches. Hence the lift.
I am enclosing a pic of the rake on my 67 with no one in the back seat and the eaton springs. Winbub, said that Eaton no longer will make them 3 inches over stock though....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0422 (Small).JPG
Views:	231
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	37994  

Old 01-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Chief

not for sure but i think the GEETO Tiger had station wagon springs in it. just some more food for thought.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Puddles, aren't your pictures backwards, or did you really raise it up like a four wheel drive?

On another post (the one about the unstable handling at high speed), you have the photographs in the opposite order as before and after.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used PY's springs for 67 GTO didn't raise car much at all. Wished I used s/w springs to raise a little. Running 15x8 CRAGER with 4.25 bs. Looks good but it's very close to 1/4 panel.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Senior Chief

yea, they are switched junkyard, wasn't paying attention. i know if i lower it it would be better for highspeed. but when it was that low the nose was higher then the rear (think tugboat). now with the rear up higher then the nose and having all that other new stuff up front i think i fixed my highspeed issue without knowing it. i wrote about that in the thread. though i would like to take the car with the stance it has now and lower it some.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am torn now. What should I do??

1. I like the rake of the rear higher. (s/w springs, extra 3")

2. Do not like the stiff ride.(How bad is it really)

3. It stinks that Eaton will not make a 3" longer GTO spring.(I will call them)

How about convertable springs? I heard from Eaton they are the same as the hardtop GTO springs. (maybe a little stiffer)

I am going to run 15x8 Cragar ss rims (5" backspacing), with 255/60 BFGoodrich radial TA tires.

I am going to run edelbrock shocks on it also.

One more question.
Do original springs go bad??? Loose there spring??
fb66

Old 01-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

hey fullback, think 2wd truck stiff. as compared to 4wd truck stiff. not nearly as rough as most earlier corvettes. for me, it wasn't bad at all. and yes, spring do sag after a while. as seen in my photo.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had the stationwagon springs in my 66 for 7 years now. It sets well, and yes you do need to use a different shock or it will "top" out when you go over a bump. If you are interested i can post pics and part numbers for both the springs and shocks. I used a TRW spring for a 66 tempest wagon and a shock for a 66 full size pontiac. It rides great has a nice stance but not up in the air.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cardo,
I would really like to see some pictures and part numbers. This might be the setup I am looking for.

fb66

Old 01-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

FB66 Here are some pics of my 66. The springs are TRW CS5235 and the shocks are KYB KG5507 gas adjust. Just for reference the springs have been in there for 8 years now and the car has between 3/4 and a full tank of gas in it. The wheels and tires are 14X7 rims and 215-70-14 tires. And to your earlier question, yes coil springs do go bad over time. The car has probably "settled" about a quarter inch since i put the springs in. Hope this helps, reguards Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	springs2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	38247   Click image for larger version

Name:	springs3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	38248   Click image for larger version

Name:	springs5.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	38249  

Old 01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And one more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	springs4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	38252  

Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That settles it. I am going with the s/w springs. (Eaton brand)

Where can I buy The KYB shocks. I see you can order them from Polygraphite performance.

Does Edelbrock make s/w shocks?

Are those KYB shocks for a '66 S/W?

fb66