Old 04-02-2006, 03:19 AM

Default Looking for an engine

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post, unfortunately with bad news (for me). I've been researching and shopping for a 66-67 GTO for about 6 months now and finally bought a 66 GTO 2 weeks ago. The car had new paint about 4 years ago which still looks great, and a 1968 400 engine that was supposedly rebuilt less than a year ago with lots of hot rod goodies. Well needless to say, the second time I drove it (about 40 miles) the engine seized and now needs to be rebuilt or replaced. As you can imagine the guy I bought it from in North Carolina wants nothing to do with me now (although he was my best friend three weeks ago!).

Anyway, I am now in the market for a new engine. I would prefer a cool worked hot rod engine reasonably priced hopefully in the SoCal area. However, I'm not married to the idea and might consider a tri power setup. Also considering just rebuilding mine. Not sure what I want to do yet, just checking out all my options. I've been watching this forum for about two weeks now and everyone seems pretty knowledgeable so maybe someone could help me out with some advice, info or an engine! Would like to get it going for summer crusing. Anyway, thanks for reading......Bigg K

Old 04-03-2006, 02:00 PM

OUCH. Sorry to hear about your luck. I sure hope this doesn't put TOO BAD of a taste in your mouth regarding the hobby, although this would sure sting a bit.
Best of luck in your search. I am sure there will be many on this site willing to lend a hand or opinion.
Ben

Old 04-04-2006, 04:17 AM

FireGoat Ben, Thanks for the reply, I was starting to feel like a man without a country! Anyway, I'm not giving up on the hobby, I just got started. I just wanted to get my feet wet with a nice car and start off slow until I build up the courage to start ripping things out and changing things around. This engine problem is just what I would have liked to avoid. Anyway, I'm thinking about having the engine rebuilt (about $2900) as opposed to upgrading the engine to something bigger and nicer right now (which I would love to do but starts at about $5,000 for an engine plus putting it in, none of which I have the skills to do.). Anyway, thanks again....Bigg K

Old 04-05-2006, 07:39 PM

The good thing is that it only "tastes" bad for a while. Once it is back on the road, things tend to "taste" a bit sweeter. What are the details around your car? Auto or manual, rear end gears, good body? Better yet, pictures. What kind of hot rod goodies?

Old 04-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know how I have this but maybe someone has delt with them but they seem "cheap" or is that a good choice of word to use. http://market.autopartsfair.com/pont...=gto&year=1970

Old 04-06-2006, 01:37 AM

Chiuaa,

The car is a white 66 with a red interior recently redone and in great shape. The car was painted white about 4 years ago (according to the guy I bought it from) It is a 4 speed with a (I think) 68 400 engine. I don't have the stats on the engine in front of me since I'm at work but from what I can remember, it has a mild cam, forged pistons, edelbrock intake, and a flamethrower distributor. I believe it is bored .30 over. I know there is more but I can't remember it all. It has no A/C and the gauges are there but not hooked up. It also has a new heater core also not hooked up. I bought it on ebay about a month ago from a guy in North Carolina. It looks and shows nice, I just have to get it running.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:48 AM

Regarding the link posted by Carl A, anyone have any feedback? The prices seem reasonable......Bigg K

Old 04-06-2006, 12:26 PM

Default My Car

Here is a pic of mine, which is white with black interior and a 4spd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	49032  

Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 AM

Nice car! Looking forward to getting mine back on the road once I decide what to do (replace/rebuild). If you can tell me how to post pictures, I'll try to do the same..Bigg K