Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

Question Intake flow

Ok here we go ,
This question has been on my mind for awhile. I read Jim hands book ,Pete M books ,write ups,looked up threads. Found alot of if on this.
My question is ,, Everyone looks to flow and velocity of the heads .#xxx.
What about the intake, I know dualplane,open etc.runner cc and pleum sizes all matter.Velocity counts.. Matching the intake to your flow numbers,does it matter .With the intake the total flow couldbe less or more,60% say or 95%.

example ,when I ported and flowed the heads . my ave was 262 at .550,all the ports were close within 2 cfm,but one was 268 not sure how.
Then flowed the heads with a perf RPM and then T2,, both flowed the about same and all the ports were dead even 235 at .550 ,238 at .600, The rpm was better by only 2 cfm. those were the only 2 I had to flow at the time.
next ran the car at he track,both intake ran the same day,no difference
,the rpm does have better throttle responce, we all know that .
I did try a 850 victor at the track,another day. thinking this will help. no change .ran the same , I also tryed a holley D.on the same day ,it gained 1mph .. it had some work done to it ,these intake have higher velocity I know, ,all these intakes were port matched.

So now if I install edelbrock heads that flow more , 290-300 cfm ,if the RPM or T2 are used will they need to be ported?
Driving the car on the street the victor ,low rpm power does suck and lack of hood clearance. The Holley was poor also,and I found uneven plug readings. Then there is the Tomahawk(from reading the posts on this board I would not buy a hurrican don't bring it up please) I like the design.

Maybe there is some info out there that I missed? I found alot of other info on other things that helped alot . No one ever seems to talk about porting their intakes ,I seen them done ,a friend of mine had RA4 heads ,flow 251 at .550,solid cam ,totally modified Holley Dom intake with a 4 in spacer.Ran 10.6/134 I know alot of things in the compo matter..

I'm no pro ,It's a hobby, the flow bench used was a superflow 600 ,used by amatures. but that is the fun part of owning a pontiac for me.This is my first question be kind.