Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 AM

Default Olds 403 v. Pontiac 400 - Fiscal Responsibility

I thought I had a minor upper valve train issue with a 78 Trans Am, but it's looking like it's a little more involved. The Olds 403 is burning a little oil (half quart a week at about 100 miles) and knocking. It's not that bad, but she needs a rebuild. The intake is also starting to rot (there's a hole near the EGR). I have had the car on blocks for a loonnnggg time and I got her running pretty reliably now and the wife has told me she is tired of running around after the kid and he needs the car. Removing the engine from the car and working it over is out of the question. I need to do a swap, so I'm looking to build an engine or have one built. I have no allegience to the Olds 403, or the Pontiac 400. They are both fine engines.

What I care about is cost / value. I want around 300 +/- 10% hp at the crank. No more or less. The car will be a daily driver and reliability is of utmost importance.

Which one is cheaper to build? The Olds 403 or the Pontiac 400? And, what is the general opinion on building it yourself verses crating it? My experience is that crates seem cheaper in the long run, but I what's really inside them. Go with a reputable builder and the price goes up. Opinions and suggestions welcome. I live in DFW area.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a budget planned already? I own both an Olds and a Pontiac (and a Pontiac with an Olds), and (without actually keeping notes on the issue), I believe there is a lot more aftermarket support for the Pontiac motors.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in on this part, but I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably not going to be a problem to get 300 crank hp from either engine with little more than a decent carb, cam, and intake (assuming the car already has a decent exhaust system).

As far as building it yourself vs. crate, for most crate motor companies the motivation is going to be, "How cheap can we build it and have it last until the warranty runs out?" If you build it yourself, you'll probably tend to nickel and dime it as you consider that Fel-Pro gaskets for an extra $15 and a Performer intake for an extra $40 and a line hone (just for insurance) for an extra $80 are worth the money. Before you know it, your home-built engine is costing you several hundred dollars more than a crate motor. You also know what went into it and know how well it was built, though.

Personally, if I have the time and the budget, I'd always rather work with a good machine shop and assemble my own than buy one that someone else worked on.

If time or your budget does not permit, however, then a crate motor may be your best option.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that swapping in another rebuilt Olds is the cheapest and easiest way to go. That way all your brackets, pulleys and wiring, carb, exhausts, starter, distributor, etc. will bolt right up. Otherwise, if you swapped in a Pontiac, you'd have to find and buy all those things, which would be a pain in the neck and the wallet, not to mention taking more time.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:09 AM

The olds motors have lot of aftermarket parts similar to Pontiac (no blocks yet), but unfortunately they are not in Summit / Jegs. FCR performance (Terry) would be the shop to contact. I'm sure he can set you up with 403 parts that meet your budget and performance expectations.

olds