Old 06-11-2006, 01:35 PM

Default 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix shifting rough sometimes.

I'm starting to have this intermittent problem with my 2000 Grand Prix. Sometimes the shifting is really rough like a shift kit is in it or something. It will do this sometimes and then when I park it and start it back up the shifting returns to being really smooth again. I have never seen it rough shift and then return to smooth shifting during the same drive (without turning the engine off and restarting it). Is there some kind of electrical module or something that could be causing this rather than the transmission going bad?

Old 06-11-2006, 11:16 PM

It is either the wiring harness is rubbed through by the AC accumulator or the trans needs a valve body and PC solenoid.
ps. if you replace the valve body the battery needs to be disconnected for 24 hrs in order for the computer to loose the shift memory.On the 2000 model that is.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:46 AM

If it's the valve body and solenoid, what's the ball park price for that (including having it done)? Trying to get an idea of what this is going to cost me (it's actually my wife's car, I'm still driving my trusty 91 Corsica). No way would I attempt to do it myself, never worked on a transmission before. Is this like inside the transmission or outside?

If I take it to a shop, are they going to be able to pinpoint what it is, especially being it's intermittent?

Last edited by Mike89; 06-12-2006 at 03:56 AM.