Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-19-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Need some help with my dailey driver (brakes)

This is a completely non-pontiac question, but I am trying to replace the rear brake pads on my 95 Nissan Maxima, and for the life of me cannot get the rear caliper piston to compress. I know that I must be missing something simple, and more then likely it has to do with releasing the parking brake mechanical engagement, but I cannot figure this out. I need a car to drive to work tommorow, and the GTO is still down. Any help with this?? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:12 PM

This may help. I just replaced the rotors and pads on my 92 Acura Integra. Had the same problem at first until I realized the piston turned. I turned it some more and it went all the way in doing it that way. Found out only later that that is the way you do it on my car. Nissan might be the same. Try that and see what it does.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to Autozone and borrow the kit for this, The caliper cups to rotate back in and they have different bits that sit in the cup to screw them back in with.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 PM

What they said, the piston turns in clockwise. If you don't have the tool for it you can usually use a needle nose plires in the slots.