Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 PM

Default Torque Thrust spoke color?

I'm restoring a set of vintage E-T fives (Torque Thrust imitations) for my '69 GTO. I need help on what color to paint the spokes. I prefer an original color to keep the period look.

The wheels I had in the 70's had flat black paint but I would like something that shows the spokes off better, like grey. Is paint available that would give the spokes a cast look? I have also seen Torque Thrusts with a pebbled metalflake grey finish. I need something that comes in a rattle can and is widely available.

Thanks, Kevin.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:47 AM

duplicolor has a rattlecan color called steel wheel paint. it's a silver metallic that's close to the sope color on rally 2's.

i use it a lot on wheels. most parts stores carry it or can get it.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Plasti-Kote makes a paint called Rebuilder's Cast Finish Gray #285. I have used it on cast suspension parts and found that it adheres well, dries quickly and it resistant to petroleum fluids. It would look good on your wheels.
American made the 200s in the 60's and early 70's ... these were the equivalent of today's Torque Thrust wheels. They came in three styles: a dark matt finish, light cast finish or polished. You could use any of these appearances and be correct. The ET five spokes were a dark finish on the spokes with a machined finish around the outer rim area.
Before factory mags we would sell tons of these aftermarket wheels and they only went for about $50/wheel (more or less depending on style and manufacturer). The good news was the price back then ... the bad news was that many a factory sport wheel went into the trash due to replacement by these old mags.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The gray that is used on the repop wheels is not correct at all. The wheel collectors were using Plasticoat steel wheel paint to paint the spokes. You can buy Valspar flat aluminum paint at Lowes for about $3.00 a rattle can. It close to the color the spokes should be. Some spokes were a flat black color to simulate oxidized magnesium. Some spokes had a gold tone to them, it depends when the wheels were made.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am interested in the old original gray that the wheels would have had when new. I am refinishing the wheel lips in the original machined surface (not polished).

Pittsburg, your wheels look nice. thanks for the pic. I have been looking at these wheels all over the 'net and every pic looks slightly different. Different shades and finishes. I'm having trouble making up my mind.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had bunches of the vintage wheels. I have been around the block a few times when it comes to the torq thrust wheels. I have a bunch in the unfinished original condition.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:55 PM

Ken, you sound like a great resource for knowing these wheels. I will look into the flat aluminum paint that you suggest. We don't have Lowe's in Canada but I'll look in other stores for Valspar paint.

I read another of your posts about these wheels in the archives. From your summary, it looks like my wheels are not E-T. They are not uni-lug and do not have E-T stamped anywhere on them. They are 15X6 and are 2 peice. They have no marking whatsoever on them. The person that I bought them from said that they were on his 55 Chev in 1969. Don't know if that's true.

I guess I have no way to verify what these rims are. I have a set of new/old E-T oval shaped center caps to put on them. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What do the spokes look like? If the spokes are round, they are probably made by Keystone. M/T and ET both made the 2 piece wheels withe the steel rim and the aluminum center. The M/T wheels used a sharper spoke. The ET wheels will say ET on them.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Ken, the spokes are somewhat pointed but the crease is not sharp. They are actually a mismatched set. One pair has a flatter wider lip around the outmost perimeter than the other pair. Other than that, they are very similar. I have looked them over very carefully but cannot find any numbers or letters stamped on them. They look to be quite old.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you post a picture? I was going to start a post on how to identify the wheels but something is wrong and I can't post pictures. The 2 piece wheels are really not much different than the 1 piece wheels, each manufacturer did something to the wheels to identify them. Crager also made a 2 piece wheel, the cap is different and the caps that screw on won't fit. The vintage caps that are held on with 5 screws are pretty much interchangeable between the wheels.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 PM

Here are pics, Ken. The bead blasted rim is the one that I have been discussing. It looks like it was originally flat black in the center according to the paint layers taht came off.

I have added a pic of a second rim from a set that I bought (with black center). They are stamped American Racing, are 1 peice aluminum and are 14X7. I was told by the seller that they are rare (don't they all say this?). They look like Radir rims and the center caps are press fit with no screws. Seller though that they were made in 1970. Have you seen these before?

Thanks again. Vintage rim info is difficult to find!

Last edited by gtokev; 01-03-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the wheel on the left says American Racing, that's what it is, it's from the 70s, The wheel on the right looks like a Mickey Thompson.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the the info, Ken. I'll look for some M/T center caps for these wheels.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The M/T center caps are pot metal, they get pits on them real easy. I might still have a few of the caps.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen those style Americans before, I don't think they were real popular. They started using those style caps in the early 70s, the CP 200 daisey wheels use the same style cap. They made the vintage wheels for the tires that were avalable at the time, that's why you don't see a lot of 15 inch wheels from the 60s, they made 15 inch tires but most of the performance style tires and slicks were made to fit 14 inch wheels.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ken knows what he is talking about. At his suggestion I used the Valspar aluminum paint and it is very close to some original TT's I have.

Those TT's w/out center cap screw holes that use the 200S/CP 200 center cap I believe are called T70, at least that is what I have heard them called.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The first torq thrust wheels had rounded spokes, the more common spokes did not show up until latter on. The earliest picture I can find of the pointed style spokes is from 1962. An ad from 1963 says 14" Torq-Thrust Magnesium wheels and it has a picture of an early 60 T-Bird, it says 16 sizes and types to choose from.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 AM

Ken, I would be interested in buying your M/T caps if you could dig some up. Please let me know.

I looked googled for more info on my Americans and it looks like they are T-70R rims. Apparently this model were first made in 1968 to replace the original Torque Thrust and Torque Thrust D and called T-70. They had problems with cracking around the spokes and had a re-enforcement rib added to the spokes in 1970 and renamed T-70R. They were manufactured until 74-75.

Again, thanks for the info. I have learned a lot from this post.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:18 PM

ken if you want start a post on id'ing wheels specifically i'll sticky it so it stays up. this is good info that never goes out of date.

email me if you do, mnixon@bright.net

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0770.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	57428