Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Senior Chief

Default "Pontiac" Ron Rocci (sp?)

Beware of a person known as "Pontiac" Ron Rocci from Morton Grove, IL. A Chevy buddy of mine just purchased a Super T-10 trans from him on my reccomendation. The trans was represented as "rebuilt" for $850.00. Upon inspection when we arrived home, the reverse thrust washer was found in the bottom of the case. Not wanting to chance anything on a $850.00 "rebuilt" trans, we took it to local shop to have it inspected. Wow, what a surprise, right in front of us, the trans was disassembled piece by piece only to find many more issues. These included, worn and chipped gears, factory worn out synchros, hard seals, a cracked case, etc. Clearly this trans had not been rebuilt by any stretch of the imagination. Upon contacting Ron, he tried to be a stand up guy, told us to get it back to him for a rebuild. Would you trust him at this point? So we get an estimate from the shop for $750.00 to fix it. Ron finally agrees to pay it. He says to bring him the receipt and the busted parts when the work is completed, and he will reimburse the owner. After driving close to 40 miles to Ron's, again, Ron decides that he will only come up with $450.00. Thanks for nothing Ron!! We would have returned the piece of junk for a full refund if he was not serious about paying for fixing it. Do not trust this man, his word no longer means anything in my book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0628-R.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	63690   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0629-R.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	63691   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0631-R.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	63692  

Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What did your freind expect, its a Chevy Trans??

Seriuosly, I would think there is more to this story. I know Ron pretty well and considering he's been in the hobby longer than Ive been on this earth (nearly 40 years), I have a hard time beliving he would leave anyone out to dry like that. Im not saying your story is wrong, but there are always two sides.

Ron has done pretty well for me over the years. In one case did a small job on my car and didnt even charge me. He's a good guy and a wealth of knowledge in the hobby.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Senior Chief

The trans came out of a 76 ta, no two sides to the story here .I have posted on this board on Rons behalf on stock motor builds for pontiacs.Im just warning people if he said its rebuilt its not! STEVE

Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I disagree about the two sides. I also think its a little unfair to salm the guy on this board. Rons not exactly a computer guy and he''ll probibly never see this. The guy will never have a chance to defend himself.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Senior Chief

Im not slamming just stating and showing the facts.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:19 AM

Default ron rocchi

i have known ron for about 5 years now. i have bought parts from him at a very fair price. i feel that he is an honest stand-up guy. i had bought some heads from him several years ago for a 455 project that i never completed, and when i was unable to sell them, he bought them back from me for what i had paid him.
tomorrow i am driving to chicago to pick up a 400 that he has just rebuilt and have every bit of confidence that it will be done correctly. ron had installed the oil pan and he said he took pictures of the rods to show me that he installed what he said he would.
i know the tranny problem is real but i feel that there must be a reasonable explaination.
thanks,
paul

Old 08-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstevea
Im not slamming just stating and showing the facts.
You are slamming him. "Do not trust this man" is slandor.

In a PUBLIC forum, umungst his peers where he cant defend himself, in my opinion, is wrong.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear about that....

What was his reason for only giving $450?

Brad

Old 08-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66

In a PUBLIC forum, umungst his peers where he cant defend himself, in my opinion, is wrong.
FYI: I think what you mean is "Slander". Slander is mostly verbal communication, written is Libel.

The forum is designed for "Compliments, Grievances about an individual or Business" He has the right to say what he wants to say as long as it's true.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know anybody being discussed here but as an observation, maybe this Ron guy made an error in describing the trans as "rebuilt". First error.

Second error is maybe your freind tstevea should have opened it BEFORE paying out the cash. One look at the reverse thrust washer would have said mountains.

So Ron says to bring it back for a rebuild. Maybe he has by now realised that he had made an error in his description. What would it cost him to do his own rebuild?? Maybe $450.00?

So why would he want to pay out an extra $300 for someone elses labour?

Sounds like a few errors all round.....

Old 08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TSTEVEA

Thanks for the heads up on this Ron guy. I can't believe that everyone is defending this huy. What is to dispute, he told you it was rebuilt and it was a POS. He said he would pay the $750 for the repair then he renigged. For me I am forwarned and will stay clear.

Tim C

Old 08-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

If I purchased a transmission that was supposed to be rebuilt and it turned out it wasn't, I wouldn't trust the guy either.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, the info is out there. If others choose to use this man for work, then buyer beware.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Chief

I have known Ron for several years now, he has built a couple motors for me at a reasonable price and I have not had any problems. Ron buys and sells alot of engine parts and my guess is he probably bought it from someone else that claimed it was rebuilt not knowing it was junk. I think I know him well enough to know he would never intentionally rip someone off. Check his feedback on classical Pontiac.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:27 PM

this is my first time on a forum if i might put my two cents in on old blue66 comment about stevea slamming ron on this forum.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, the trans wasn't rebuilt. Maybe it got in the rebuilt pile when it should have been in the needs to be rebuilt pile. So what? Sounds like the guy made a mistake and said he would correct the problem. If he's been around as long as it sounds, he could do a better job of ripping you off for sure. You should have gone back to the source first, not another shop.

I don't know the guy, and am not defending him. But, you did the wrong thing for sure.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 PM

what i think is worse than getting slamed iswhen a person lies to you and you wasted 5 days have driven 210 miles and when driving home from rons house last sundaywith nothing in the trunk and my wallet175$ emtyer then what ron told mehe would give me to try make or little deal right. he didnt thats worse than getting slamed.see i needed a super t 10 trans for my 73 rs camaro so i called tstevea who i have known and been best friends for 22+years he call ron asked do you have a rebuilt st10 trans ron said yes850.00$rons first story on this rebuilt trans was a guy brought it to him and while ron was in the final stages of rebuilding it the guy called said he blew up his motor hence didnt need it and ron could sell it this is what ron told tstevea and me okk gave ron his asking 850.00$ron told me all it needed was aside cover gasket ok brought trans home put it on my work bench later on when time came to swap this iinto my car i removed the side cover to install the gasket i heard a light clank when i roled trans over so got the mag light looked inside and saw a thrust washer laying in the bottom so i called tstevea told what i found tstevea called another trans builder closer to home he said dont risk putting it in bring it by he will take a look ok take it over trans man opens it up suprise never rebuilt 3 gear reverse input shaft synkros all fraged case has an inturnal crack ect ect ask trans manhis ball park to fixhe says about 575$ 600$ call ron tell him trans needs a rebuild and hard parts case ect rons second story on my trans cant beleive it he got trans from a long time friend who told ron it just had a fresh rebuild wrong . ron tells me if i bring it back he will rebuild it i say are you nuts35 miles1 way and you lie. ron say go ahead with rebuild600$ bring him bad parts and reciptok week go by transdone right total rebuild 750$trans man ron 850$total out my pocket1.600.$if ron gives me my 600$ im ok with that ill have 1000$in a fresh super t10 call ron sunday ron come on over ok 35miles later at ron house trunk full of parts [see tstevea for my picks]this is what i returned to ron . ron takes the 85%of his so called rebuilt trans to his garage look over the parts shakes his head a few times says he pays around 400$to450$for a rebuild core as he points to a newley accuird t10 on floor says all i can give you is 450 i say how about our agreed 600 he say no core money 450i say ron this isnt right ron goes into house comes out with waded up moneyhands it to me i count it 425$ondly tell ron this isnt right tell ron tstevea sends you people sevral times a year and this how you deal .the last thing i told ron was this isnt right and this is going to cost you in the long run . ron replied with a shrug of his sholders like screw you i leave rons with an emty trunk and my wallet 175$light thanks ron . please excuse my spelling im not as computer savy as ron if any on wants to talk pm me.thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
In a PUBLIC forum, umungst his peers where he cant defend himself....
A public forum where he can't defend himself?
Don't know either party but I couldn't help but point out the irony in the above statement.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am here to defend those that cannot speak for themselves........The Super T-10's being beat up here.

I have whailed on my Super T-10 (75' TA) for nearly 20 years and it has rarely made me cuss it.Hundreds of passes down the qtr mile as well as many doughnuts and waaay stupid dares.When I have had concerns over it holding the 530+ ft lbs of torque my motor puts out....my friends keep telling me to get a TKO ($3200.00).I am thinking of how many more rebuilds I could do to it ..still being cheaper than that..

Between the Trim and the millions of boiled seconds and barked thirds I commend this leaking ass aluminum SOB for making me almost cool at times for having a "Stick".

NO Turbo 400 will ever do that...............

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 AM

Your story with Ron appears to be a bad one. It is unfortuate this happened. I am truely surprised and would like to hear Ron Rocchi's reply. I have delt with Ron over the past two years on my 65 rebuild. He has been more than helpfull and on many ocassions has answered questions that were probable, for him, silly. But never did he not be friendly and very helpfull. The parts I need were send right away, were correct and very reasonably priced.

I would like to heard more about This. I personally would deal with him again.
Tom Duffy