Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New Car Engine Break-in

Do you break in a new car engine anymore? I don't mean a rebuilt 60's engine but a new vehicle with a factory LS4 or LS2. Do you change oil quickly? (I always change oil at 3,000 intervals anyway.)

The last car I bought with a 3.8L in '95 someone told me to drive it gently for the first 500 or so miles and don't run long drives at one speed.

A search on the internet only found a wide range of opinions.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always change it the 1st time at half my normal mileage (2.5K vs 5K) and I drive it like I would normally during that time. I wouldn't tow or drag race for the 1st few hundred miles.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...like you stole it!

I'd probably do the first change a little early, but that's just me.

In my >ahem< Chrysler 80s shop manual it clearly states that some full throttle runs in taller gears are desireable to promote ring seal in the first few hundred miles... You don't want to wind it out in low gears when brand new but if you can put some substantial load on the engine at lower rpm in a taller gear that's all good.

As I understand it, tollerances are so good these days that no real special treatment is needed. But it can't hurt, right?

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM

Lightbulb

How I just broke in my new car (not an LSx engine, doesn't matter).

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And yes, you'll surely find a wide range of opinions on this subject.

I beat on mine.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drive it hard like I am going to drive the car. The cars seem to run better when broken in this way. A friend bought a 454 SS pickup at the same time I did and we broke them in differently. I broke mine in hard and he broke his in as the factory suggested and when we raced at Palmdale, CA my truck was consistently 6/10s faster . This was with us both leaving the trucks in drive and letting them shift themselves.

Robert

Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man
How I just broke in my new car (not an LSx engine, doesn't matter).

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And yes, you'll surely find a wide range of opinions on this subject.

I beat on mine.
You know, it's cool that this is essentially the exact same advice given in my old Chrysler shop manual.

It also jibes with my experience over the years of getting neglected engines back into tune again. They often start running a lot better when they start getting a good "stretching". All the stuff needs to get properly loaded now and then to blow the crap out. And if you're not getting the engine up to temperature your oil goes "sour" very quickly.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod