Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Parchment interior question

Does anyone know what paint code to use to paint the upper doors to match the door panels? Also, I have some old door panels that are in good condition but I need to replace the seat covers, am I going to run into a matching problem? I seem to recall someone talking about the parchment colors changing and that they are different than original.

Dan

Old 01-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Chief

type 'parchment' into the search for more info.

I used dupont lucite acryllic lacquer. code W-3573
nice semi-gloss in pints or quarts. goes on easy and you can touch it up.

get one of the prevail (preval ?) aerosols and spray it yourself if you don't have a spray gun

Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 PM

Smile dave hill

I used Almond Satin Krylon from Wal-Mart. Top coated it with clear. Came out close enough to suit me. You can compare your material to the can cap.

dave hill

Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi Dave,

Will give that a try...would certainly simplify things if that works out.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 01-25-2007, 02:20 PM

Regaurding the panels, the newer parchment has more of a pearl look to them then the originals, I ended up replacing everything to make it matched. The color was off enough that it bugged me to do everything.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah thats whats bugging me...my panels I know are at least 10 years old and while they are in great shape I'm afraid that if I buy new apholstry that the two won't match up. Guess I'll just have to buy the panels if I'm not happy.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Year one has a 2 part can product for Parchment which I used and it looks very nice. Sort of expensive
Paddock sells the 69' parchment that looks close to original as well.
You can also try OEM paints oempaints.com.

Brad

Old 01-25-2007, 10:23 PM

I used DupliColor Whimbelton White part#T205. Got it at the local NAPA store.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I too, have used Whimbelton White with very good match on a 67 I once owned a long time ago. This is a Ford color from I think 1969 or 1970. Maybe 1971 as well. It was used some some Fords & some Boss 302 & 429 Mustangs as I recall. Pete

Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wen to Pep Boys and looked at both Krylon Almond and Duplicolor Wimbledon White and the Wimbledon looked like it was a closer match.

Resto almost done - 1966 GTO HDTP Tiger Gold (paint code 1-2), black vinyl top and interior, 389 tripower, 068 cam, TH-350/Hughes TC, RA manifolds, 2.5" Pypes exhaust, Scarebird Front Disc, Ralley II's, factory PS, PB, PW, PA, A/C, headrest option.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Senior Chief

WIMBLEDON WHITE.
I JUST DID MINE THIS WEEKEND!
CLEAN IT REAL GOOD AND PRIME IT, I USED A WHITE PRIMER.
I DID THE SEAT BACKS AND THE METAL PIECES THAT WRAP AROUND THE SEATS FOR THE 67 GTO.
I WILL BE DOING THE TOP OF THE DOORS THIS SPRING.
CAME OUT REAL NICE.
FLOWJOE ON THIS SITE RECOMMENDED IT.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

parchment and black rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	80902  

Old 01-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The new parchment interiors are all the pearl parchment, they don't match the original 67 non pearl finish.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is that true for '66 as well? I assume so. Do you have a pic of your "new" parchment? I'm going to order new seat covers but want to reuse may door panels...I'm fearing a mismatch coming down the pike.

Resto almost done - 1966 GTO HDTP Tiger Gold (paint code 1-2), black vinyl top and interior, 389 tripower, 068 cam, TH-350/Hughes TC, RA manifolds, 2.5" Pypes exhaust, Scarebird Front Disc, Ralley II's, factory PS, PB, PW, PA, A/C, headrest option.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wasn't able to find new seat covers that would match the original non pearl parchment interior. I talked to some of the guys here on the forum at the time and I remember one of them saying that they have to buy new covers and paint them to be original. 66 and 67 were not pearl originally. The pearl parchment started in 68. The repo industry went to all pearl to simplify. I replaced everything in mine to match.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Senior Chief

Not trying to pick a fight, but I'm not sure I agree on the non-pearl for '66 seat covers. I don't have any way of guaranteeing 100% that my interior was original when I bought my car, BUT... when I pulled the VERY worn & faded seat covers to replace them, they had pearl in the areas not bleached by the sun that matched the PUI repro's I bought. Inside the seat covers there was a "237" or "242" stamped in big black ink numbers (don't remember which, but it essentially matched the designation for a Pontiac A-body). The pleats were deeper than any repro's I have seen to date (like all originals I've seen), and some of the materials / construction on the inside were slightly different than the repro's I got. For instance, the edging along the bottoms that attaches to the seat frame was a thick "natural" material cord like twine, not the plastic of the repro's. One thing's for sure, the padding of the back seat was the original cotton batting, not foam.

All this (and the fact that I found a mouse-chewed build sheet inside the passenger's seat) leads me to believe that my seat covers were originals, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't have any way to actually prove it. Wish I had kept them to take some pics, but they were so bad I just wanted to get them out of my garage (and they smelled like mice). I did take some pics when I was pulling them apart to help with the install of the repro's, so I'll see if any of those pics show any good detail.

As for the interior paint, I bought the base / clear parchment paint from Year One about 5 years ago, and it looks way too white. The base coat looks essentially like a non-tinted white, and the clear had pearl in it. Maybe they've changed it since then, but I've heard the same story from others who have bought the paint from Year One in the past. One of these days, I'm going to try the Krylon, which looks like a much better match to the paint that was on my interior. Speaking of that "original" interior paint, it didn't have any pearl in it.

FWIW.

John

Old 02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm going to try the Krylon, which looks like a much better match to the paint that was on my interior. Speaking of that "original" interior paint, it didn't have any pearl in it.
Speaking of the Krylon, I went to Auto parts store to look at Krylon Almond and Duplicolor Wimbledon White and the Wimbledon white was a closer match to the door panels I have, which are repros at least 10 years old but in great shape. Now whether or not my repros look like the new supposed pearl repros I have no idea.

Dan