Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 PM

Default KRE head port matching

Just received a set of 85cc KRE heads and im getting ready to port match the intake side and performer intake. I noticed a lot of material needs to be removed from the pushrod bulge side of the head (almost 3/16"). The pushrod hole area is very thin as it is and I dont want to break through. Is it going to cause a problem by only blending the opening only about 1/4" into the port? On the exhaust side they left enough material between the center ports for me to weld up the divider in my headers so it will stop blowing the gasket out in between. I cant wait til spring to get to the track. Any idea what i should gain over my stock 6X heads. Last time at milan dragway I ran 12.57 at 106, 455/th400/3.55gear/Ultradyne 288-296H10cam/factory V6 converter gave 1.7-60ft. When I pulled the engine last weekend I found a blown power valve on the 800 spread bore Holley and a burned ex valve on #8 cylinder!!! I can't believe it ran that good!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you must have the as cast versions, because mine were ported and were already matched to the gasket that they were to be used with. If that is the case, make sure you are using the regular pontiac gaskets and not RA-IV style intake gaskets. There is no benefit to using the larger gasket to match to and you will be making a localized bulge in your intake tract by doing so.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:46 PM

I am using the standard fel pro gasket. I rechecked the ports this morning, they aren't as bad as I thought but i just want to do this right the first time. I'm port matching the intake ports in until they widen towards the plenum. They are off more than the heads-my cast iron was worse. I noticed the runners are actually larger on the cast intake but it performs as well as the performer? I guess I'll just carefully blend the head side like I did the 6x's. The ports need no cutting on top or bottom. Thanks