Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Chief

Default Bumper Boys any good?

I see The Bumper Boys at all the Springfield Oh swap meets. It sure looks like they do a lot of business. Do they do a good job and does the chrome last?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never heard anything positive, A freind had a cutlass bumper that peeled immediately, their customer service was non-existant.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Thay are NO F&CKING GOOD!!!! Liars and thieves. Both my bumpers peeled. A$$holes to deal with on the phone.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 03-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Suspended

run search, plenty of details

Old 03-16-2007, 04:01 AM
Senior Chief

Never heard anyone speak positively of them. Tri-City Plating in Tenn has had a lot of people speak highly of them.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The rear bumper on my '71 T/A was done by Bumper Boyz. Its exposed to the weather 24 hours a day from April-October and still looks the same as the day I bought it close to five years ago. No peeling, rusting or problems of any kind.

I think the thing with Bumper Boyz is that you need to physically inspect and purchase a bumper in person. Don't call them up and order over the phone.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Chief

Mine peeled after a year or so too.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Chief

Default Bumper BoyZ

Aren't The Bumper BoyZ (with a Z) out of California? I've seen them at the Syracuse Nationals for a few years now, said they travel all the shows and will bring your bumper to the show. Prices didn't look too bad $400-450 for my GP with a good exchange. Anybody else have bumpers from these guys?

Old 03-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The ONLY things I have ever heard from/about them have been negative.
They literally buy any scrap bumper, in any condition whatsoever, and refinish them using very cheap illegal-immigrant labor (that's why you can almost never get an English-speaking person on the phone). I know of people who have sold them bumpers that were so rusted you could poke your finger through the steel.
So, do you REALLY want to buy a re-done bumper, that started out with them in such poor condition?
No, thanks.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NO !

Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RUN don't walk away from their junk...:beerchug:

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you check them out at a swap meet,you'll believe the illegal comment.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 67 GTO rear bumper I purchased 2 1/2 years ago. Very,very nice and no problems. The comment about them buying any junk bumper-they wouldn't take my straight core and it wasn't that bad. Sounds like their quality is hit/miss. Only seem to hear good things about Tri-city in TN.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

MY neighbor used them for irreplaceable Maserati bumpers.
Sent them back 3 times and finally they came back OK but not great.
He didnt ask me first I would have told him to use TriCitys.Ive had good luck with them and they do speak Englese.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:18 AM

Is phone the only way to talk to TriCity? They wouldn't answer any of my emails.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FritzCat, I've had the same experience. I'm in Iraq, and I cannot get an email reply from Tri-City to save my butt. I ended up finally just paying too much on ebay for a front bumper that was already rechromed. At least that will be sitting at the house waiting for me when I get home for a visit.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You only want to do this once. Spend the extra hundred and go to a shop with a good reputation.

My 68 GTO rear bumper was done by DG plating in Cincinnati. Absolutely beautiful. They even straighten them as part of the service.

I also had the front bumper from the 68 Firebird done there. Its been on the car 7 years now. I know you're local to me; stop over and I'll show you their work.

Bob Trimpe

Old 03-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my rear bumper for the '64 LeMans from Bumper Boyz. It is beautiful, and gets a lot of comments from people asking if it's a brand new bumper. It also sat out in the weather for several years before i had an inside place for the car.

The first one sent got damaged in shipping, but they had it picked up, and sent another in no time at no extra cost to me.

Must be something with the EPA, but i bought a Plymouth a few years back that had both bumpers redone by a big re-chromer in the area, and the finish was visibly different....i've been told that they can't do chrom like they did in the old days, and the chrome doesn't have the same look. Bumper Boyz are located really close to the border, so it makes me wonder if they are able to get away with things that others aren't as far as old techniques go. And yes, they are Mexican guys. not just their workers. They strike me as old school "Low Rider" type guys.

customer service definately could be better.

Here's the bad experience:

My buddy called ahead to have them bring one for his '68 conv to one of the events they come to locally - they "forgot" to bring it, so they offered to send him one when they got back with free shipping....so he paid there, and gave the address. next week the owner called, and said that he owed for shipping. my buddy explained what happened, and said that they offered to ship free for the mistake. the guy on the phone said that he didn't care what deal was made at the swapmeet, and that he wasn't shipping until my buddy gave more money. my buddy was furious, but paid it because he needed the bumper, and the repros weren't out yet.

the reason i put "forgot" in parenthesis was that we had a sneaking suspicion that they brought it, but sold it before we got there to pick it up to someone else, planning to throw that offer out there if we showed up.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, the quality and finish on the '68 bumper was also excellent, and gets a lot of compliments.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience with them was a couple of years ago when I was working at a high profile Nascar affiliated body shop. I was doing a restoration on a very rare 57 Dodge Hemi car for none other than Ryan Newman. We had ordered both bumpers from Bumper BoyZ. One was fairly decent and the other totally unacceptable, dents were never worked out and the chrome wasn't anything to brag about on either bumper. I have seen Tri-City's quality and has all others beat hands down. IMO there are times when you can get bad products anywhere but when top quality is considered on a $200,000 car you have to get the best you can, not just what you can get.