Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default Sealing -an fittings?

Do -an fittings usually seal up pretty easily or are they a pain to get to seal without really cranking them tight? I'm refering to the connection of the hose ends to the hose, the female to male flare, and the tube nuts on the end of flared aluminum hard line. I'm running 1/2" aluminum hard line along the frame to a block mounted mechanical fuel pump. At the end of the hard line I will have a tube nut and flared line going into a male-to-male 8-an union going into the female hose end on the end of the 8-an hose. That's one heck of a mess of fittings to potentially leak! And this is my first time messing with -an stuff. To top this all off, it looks like I will have to have this connection in a location that will not be accessable once installed on the car! All the instructions on these -an fittings warn constantly about pressure testing all connections before putting into service, but I have no idea how I would go about that without installing the lines first.

Thanks,
Lee

Old 05-11-2007, 11:45 AM

It seems to me your making it more complex than needed use

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...DS=1&N=700+115

to

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...DS=1&N=700+115

and with any of these typ fitting use the proper lube and sealent

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...+115&x=22&y=12

if you half to over tightnen odds are somthing is wrong dont jest keep tighting =)

Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lee,

Over the years I have had good luck with having a leak free system using AN fittings. If everything is installed correctly and the are no blemishes on the sealing surfaces they won't leak. Aluminum fittings can be damaged if you over tighten them. Follow instructions and use a common sense approach and you will have good results. Also remember we are only using very low pressure with our carburated fuel systems.

Tim C

Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aluminum fuel line is a big no-no. It will fatigue and break after awhile. Use steel tube.

AN fittings do not need a bunch of torque to seal. Overtightening will distort them and make them bind up. The surfaces need to be unblemished, no dirt and tubes need to line up without the nut tightened. Don't expect the fitting to pull a tube into alignment.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The junction you're speaking of is a "compression" fitting. In other words, it seals by compressing the joint. Just douche the threads and surface area of the flare with some WD-40 during assembly and you're fine.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker
Just douche the threads and surface area of the flare with some WD-40 during assembly and you're fine.
cant wait to douche mine