Old 05-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

Default Restoring a gold Dash bezel

I found a gold dash bezel at the junkyard the other day, but the weird thing was. When i removed the trim rings from the speedo and ect thats the only part that was BRIGHT GOLD, the rest looked Silver like a normal dash bezel. So the dash had gold rings from under the trim rings for the gas gauge, speedo,tach ect. Anyway to restore this to its original gold color. Would it be worth it?

(Factory Tripower, 4:33 gears, radio delete,)
Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was it in an SE car? What did the rest of the car look like?

I believe only the "Bandit" black and gold cars got the gold dash.
(Not sure if the gold SE cars also got it.)

At any rate, it didn't come in the plain T/A's, so it might be worth a look at the car to see if there are any other SE-specific parts on it.

Check out this thread for some people pointing out some of the SE-only things to look for on a T/A.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Gold S/E's had the same gold dash. There is really no good way to restore one, & make it look like they did new.

I know there are a few guys doing it, & selling them on ebay. They use nice silver ones, & tint them gold. From what I understand, that turns out much better than re-tinting an original gold one.

68RT

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 05-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 81 that is an SE is the same you can only see gold underneath the bezels. Seems weird it would all fade completely.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:03 PM

It is common to have the gold fade. Often underneath the bezels are the only places to remain gold. I have heard of people using a prism tape as well, but I have heard the pattern isn't quite the same.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74TA455
I found a gold dash bezel at the junkyard the other day, but the weird thing was. When i removed the trim rings from the speedo and ect thats the only part that was BRIGHT GOLD, the rest looked Silver like a normal dash bezel. So the dash had gold rings from under the trim rings for the gas gauge, speedo,tach ect. Anyway to restore this to its original gold color. Would it be worth it?
There is an economical solution that works pretty well for a driver. Take a look at the prism tape being sold on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans...21272375QQrdZ1

I used this on my kids 78 Trans Am and if you aren't a Trans Am officionado you will not be able to tell the difference. Durability is a question. I did the kids about a year ago and thee are no signs of wear. But it's a garage kept car. Application is a little bit tricky, but anyone can do it.