Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default pilot bushing...can't get one that fits!

i've tried 3 different ones...the one that came with my delco clutch kit, a parts store item that was the same as the one with the clutch kit, then one that is listed for a ford, and it's really close, but the hole for the input shaft is a little loose. i don't want to use a pilot bearing, so does anyone have any idea where to get a bushing that fits right, or am i gonna have to make one?

Old 05-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much too big is it? Seems like the hole must shrink a little when the bushing's pressed into the crankshaft.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wht don't you want to use a pilot bearing?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Senior Chief

i don't wanna use a bearing because i've read more bad about them than good...but i've learned a little about that 'don't believe everything that you read' thing...i'd use one if i had to.
as far as having the bushing pressed in, i think it's a little bit too big to press in as-is..maybe not, i've never seen one or dealt with this problem before

Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Use a 7109 bearing. If that doesn't fit then your crank is probably not machined for a pilot bearing.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only problem I ever had was with the original pilot bushing wearing funny on one side, switched to a bearing about 30 years ago and never had another problem. You trust bearings everywhere in the trans and rearend, and I just can't see why the bad rap for a very well protected bearing that only has to spin when you are changing gears. The remaining bearings have 100% duty cycle when you're driving.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac V8 and many Fords use the same OD bearing, but the insides are different sizes. Do what OMT said.