Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

Default really hard clutch pedal...normal or no?

i have a delco replacement clutch kit...11" disc, and i think i read the pressure plate is an 1150# plate. it works fine...disengages and all, no noises etc...but, the pedal is reaaaally hard...is this normal? i don't know what to compare it to, but it feels like it takes more effort than it should, but i don't know because a)i've never had a car with a mechanical linkage clutch and b)i don't have anything to compare it to.
any ideas?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It shouldnt be too difficult, but it is a little heavier than a hydraulic clutch. Is it possible that your clucth fork is binding or is installed wrong? I just redid the clutch on my wifes car and the fork was bent at the tip causing it to bind however the clutch itself was OK.

Good luck

Old 07-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1150# is very light, I doubt if that's the correct pressure. My stock PP is 2450# and not bad at all.
In any case, I'd check for the correct clutch linkage first - including Z-bar and pivot joints. I'd go underneath the car while someone operated the clutch to see how the linkage is working ie. geometry.
Also, is the throwout bearing correct for the PP you're using?
Is the TO bearing properly connected to the fork?

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS