Old 07-10-2007, 05:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT
Thumbs up 67 Tempest wiring

I am just buttoning up my car. It use to have a 326 with the 2 speed powerglide. I just put in a 455 with a th400 tranny.

Two wires I can't figure out where they go. One is a black wire with a orange stripe with a round hard plastic cover at the end with a off center connector inside.
The other is a black wire with a hard round end cover with a screw crew type of connector inside.
Both of these come of the firewall harness.
I think I have the oil sending unit connector right, black with a blue stripe?
Other than that I think I am good to go other than needing a radiator, if anyone has one let me know, needs to be three core minimum.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 07-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Chief

You need a wiirng diagram.

http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/Po...ing/index.html

Should help but for 65. On both my 70 Olds and 65 Pontiac oil pressure sender wire was dark blue, temp was green. Cannot help with the other connection w/o diagram.

HTH

John

Old 07-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT
I am just buttoning up my car. It use to have a 326 with the 2 speed powerglide. I just put in a 455 with a th400 tranny.

Two wires I can't figure out where they go. One is a black wire with a orange stripe with a round hard plastic cover at the end with a off center connector inside.
The other is a black wire with a hard round end cover with a screw crew type of connector inside.
Both of these come of the firewall harness.
I think I have the oil sending unit connector right, black with a blue stripe?
Other than that I think I am good to go other than needing a radiator, if anyone has one let me know, needs to be three core minimum.

Black blue stripe goes to your wiper motor.
Black with orange stripe goes to your transmission kick down
Sorry not sure of black wire with a screw type connector.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Suspended

have a used three core, non ac (short height) auto trans radiator. PM me with an offer. send me your zip for shipping as well.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ant,

Black orange went to the tranny, you won't use this anymore with that kit thing you were telling me about.

that "screw connector" wire...The only two wires with round eyelets on them are the small one going to the starter solenoid, or a heavier guage wire that goes to the Alternator.

Hey, don't forget the ground straps from the back of the head to the firewall.

what happened to your radiator? you had a 3 core in there already. (or did Petey get hungry?)

Later!
Dennis

Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That black wire must be the ground for the alternator right? I was wondering were the ground wire was.
I have a red wire coming out of the new LOKAR electric kickdown that has to be given power, would it be a good idea to just splice the new wire with the old kickdown wire (black with orange stripe)?
Petey has been busy enough with his two new girlfriends, one we bought, one we are watching for our friend..
Radiator was repaired yesterday, but I was told under pressure it fizzes air in a few places, not water but air, so I bought this radiator sealant liquid, I am going to try it while the car is sitting to see if it works, the guys at my parts store says it works very well, I will be the judge..
You have ESP, I did not put that ground in yet but did not forget, I bought the new ground kit from PY. I put the small one in that goes from the frame to the fender right before the motor on the passenger side, I know the one goes from the head to the firewall, but I have one more small one, where does that go?

Ant

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ant,

The third ground went from the coil bracket to the firewall. You won't need that anymore since you don't have a factory coil bracket anymore Mr. HEI.

That black orange wire is only hot when the kickdown switch is activated. If your kit needs 12v all the time, you'd need to unplug the connector from the gas pedal switch and jump the two terminals together, then you could splice that black/orange into the kit.

That heavy gauge alt wire isn't the ground, it's the 12v hot line for charging the battery. Alt grounds through the case mounting bolts so have the battery disconnected while your bolting it on so you don't start arc welding if you hit ground by accident.

Get that accelerator cable yet? I'm still waiting for some "roar to life" soundtracks!

Petey's harem is growing. A few more pups and you can upgrade the 455 to the new experimental RamAir XVIII !!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I meant the thin black wire with the screw on loom that I have not found a place for, is that the ground wire for the alternator? I already bolted on the thick gauge wire on the alt positive.
I got the new throttle cable yesterday, I am hoping to have it running this weekend if the radiator does not fail me..
I have to figure out which vac lines go where, the one up front that goes into the intake (the metal piece), I bought a new one, what vac line hooks into that one?
There are few very small one's on the Q-jet. I think one goes to my wiper washer.
I already put the vac line from the back of the intake to the power booster, the back vac line of the Q-jet is going to the tranny kickdown, but I have a few others to figure out.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmm the only thin wire with an eyelet that I can think of goes to the small terminal on the solenoid....though that reminds me there's 3 eyelet wires, not two. One large gauge wire to the alternator, one large gauge to the main lug on the starter solenoid and one small gauge wire to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. I seem to recall seeing setups that used both small terminals on the solenoid but I think that was in later years and not 67. Without a wiring manual in front of me I can't remember. I know your starter definitely only had one small terminal on it for the start wire and I don't remember seeing any other wires hanging under there. Since we talked about the starter wiring last week, I'm guessing you've already got that covered. Where in the harness does it come out of the wrap?

okay, NO vac lines go to your wiper motor! Big hose runs from the washer bottle to the pump and then two small lines from the pump to the squirt nozzles.

Depending on what year carb and it's original configuration, you may need to plug some lines. Manifold should have one 3/8" line to the PVC valve, Carb should have a 3/8" line to your brake booster, one unported carb tap to the vacuum advance on the distributor, and one line to the transmission modulator. put plugs on any other taps on the carb. Did you have that carb when we pulled the motor? I can't remember...

Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if its black comes out of the loom the same place as the kickdown wire and has a female spade inside a little round cap its for the blower motor (heater)

my cars
Old 07-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It does not have an eyelet, it has a screw on female screw on piece, it looks like it would go over the ground screw on the alt to make it easier to imagine.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I already have the right one on the blower motor, thanks..

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mystery solved for the curious...it's the brake pressure wire for the proportioning valve.

Ant, Too bad there's no time on Sunday, I'll be about 1/2 hr from you around noonish but the wake starts at 1pm in NJ so there's no time for the side trip!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, thanks Dennis for the crazy amount of knowledge you have on these cars, you saved the day. Thanks for all the help guys. I got a few wiring diagrams from some of the gentleman on this forum and I can't seem to find that brake pressure wire in the diagram, was just curious if anyone else has seen it there.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis,
Could always let wifey take the car to the funeral and I could pick you up in Middletown so we could hang, lol

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just tell her you have a headache and you cant.. It works for them right, lol

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 07-15-2007, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ant, sounds great but I don't want to miss using that $160 hotel room, what a rip off! I might be able to swing it on Monday on the way back. We don't need to take her brother back to Middletown so it would be a two hour side trip coming home. I need to check the maps and it depends on what time we get out of the after-funeral thing. I'll bring your number with me just in case. We're leaving in 5 minutes.

Later!
Dennis

Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis,
It was nice of you guys to stop by, tell your wife it was a pleasure to meet her. Put that tranny to good use!!! LOKAR has a kit to make your 2 speed shifter adapt to the turbo 350, check it out.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart