Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Default 89 TA stalls after warm up why???

my 89 TA starts up and runs perfectly fine while its cold but once driven for a few minutes or warmed up it stalls when i push the gas it just wants to die out but if i let off the gas it idles fine anyone know what the cause could be? i replaced the o2 sensor, fuel pressure regulator, computer, plugs & wires, in-line fuel filter, and it still didnt fix the problem so if you could help i'd appreciate it A LOT!

thanx, greg

Old 08-31-2007, 04:37 PM

Is it setting any codes? I'd speculate that it runs fine cold because it's in open loop operation. When wamed up it goes into closed loop.
Being an '89 and assuming it's a TPI car I'd suspect the MAF sensor is bad.Or a misadjusted/bad TPS.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 PM

ya its a tpi.. i fixed the stall problem it was my fuel pump screen was clogged but now i took it to get emission tested and it fail hydrocarbons by .68. its supposed to read 1.40 and it read 2.08. any suggestions how i could get that down enough to pass?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM

I'd first erase all the BLM and Integrator tables by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.They may have table values in them from the engine going lean because of the fuel starvation problem( your plugged screen).Then I'd drive it normally for 50 miles or so and get it sniffed again to see if the HC numbers have gone down. If not then you better start looking at the evaporative contsol system. Maybe a cracked vacuum line or bad purge valve or cannister. Do you have a Factory service manual? or access to a data stream scanner? Those two items will help you watch the mixture ratio and the BLM and integrator tables and then diagnose the evaporative emissions control.