Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default appliance experts? Help!!!

I bought my GE Triton XL dishwasher around 3 years ago. So far Ive only had 1 problem with it that a good cleaning of the fine filter and drain cured. My wife usually uses it but last week I noticed the lights were on like it was in a cycle and they were on for a couple of days. I opened up the door and there was standing water in there. I shop vac'd it out and clean the drain and fine filter good and cloed the door. it filled back up with hot water to the same level it was before and then does nothing. It is not on delay. I thought a good cleaning would cure it but no luck.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:37 PM

I have an appliance installation company and have been in business over 22 years. We install about 10,000 dishwashers a year. Your board that controls the timer functions is probably bad. It'll be cheaper/easier to buy a new one than bother to fix that one. Also, GE has had more Dishwasher recalls in recent memory than other manufacturers, so I'd try a Whirlpool or if you want something higher end, go with the Bosch. GL.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it has a electronic key pad or timer try unplugging or turn the breaker off (reboot). My refrig was acting weird and the service center asked me to do this and it worked.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Chief

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for speed but I fear you may be right. Pretty much met the life expectancy of most stuff purchased at HD these days. Ive tried resetting the breaker and no go. Could of bought a nice set of Dougs for what I paid for this thing. Oh well.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:30 PM

I can't tell you how many dishwashers we take out and replace that are two years old or less. We don't do anything with them but throw em away. It can be very hit or miss with life expectancy. I think they engineer the machines to last about 7yrs, and some get less and some get more.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the drain line it maybe pluged, Ours was doing that and the drain line was pluged.
If you have a drain line that comes up to a vent on the drain board then into the drain check the plastic Y .

Old 09-23-2007, 06:30 PM

That's a good suggestion, but I don't think that's his particular problem. He says the lights are on as if its running, but it doesn't wash....that's a timer/control board issue. if it ran and just didn't drain, then maybe i'd check for a kinked hose or a blockage.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Senior Chief

Good news!!! I sucked everything out one last time and reset the breaker again. I came back upstairs and it was draining. Its running a test cycle right now and seems to be alright, well see what happens. Thanks for all the replies!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

SpeedE55 is right, about 10 years ago the quality of the dishwashers went way downhill. Actually it was about the same time that Being quiet became the most important part...

Speed, remember back when you could just turn the blade on the motor to free it back up?

Old 09-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Suspended

GE dishwashers are junk, and that includes the Profile models. Years ago GE made a good machine, but a friend that was a repair man for GE for 30+ years, now retired, said about 12+ years ago they got really bad. As SpeedE said, cheaper to buy a new one.

Go buy a KitchenAid with the stainless steel interior and an internal garbage disposal. They will cost a bit more, but they will last a long time. They are also very quiet. Can't even tell when they are on. What's good about KitchenAid is that they are not a "fair trade" company so you can get a good price on one....Check out the internet. Many internet retailers include shipping and you don't have to pay ant sales tax.

Check out HomeClick.com I think that they sell KitchenAid and many weekends they cut another 10% of their prices.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg

Speed, remember back when you could just turn the blade on the motor to free it back up?
Ha....that was my next suggestion to drailed! GEs are/were notorious for having pumps and motors that would stick, and you could jam a big screwdriver in the fans and free it up. Certain GEs still utilize that style motor, but other GE models use a smaller motor remote mounted motor made by Siemens that runs quieter, but has no fans that you can spin to loosen up. when it comes right down to it, most appliances are POS anymore. If you notice, the prices over the last 15 years or so have remained stagnant or even dropped a bit to stay competetive. Business costs have increased, so something has to give.....the quality. Appliances used to weigh twice what they do today. Reason is all the plastic and styrofoam used in construction.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=Billy Ray]GE dishwashers are junk, and that includes the Profile models. QUOTE]
Figures, 99 percent of the time I research something to death before i lay the money down. This time I was finishing up a full remodel on my kitchen and just picked this one up when I was there buying plumbing stuff. How about the GE gas ranges? I can probably expect some surprises with that as well. I bought them all at the same time so maybe they will all puke at the same time so I can make one trip to the scrap place.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
GE dishwashers are junk, and that includes the Profile models. Years ago GE made a good machine, but a friend that was a repair man for GE for 30+ years, now retired, said about 12+ years ago they got really bad. As SpeedE said, cheaper to buy a new one.

Go buy a KitchenAid with the stainless steel interior and an internal garbage disposal. They will cost a bit more, but they will last a long time. They are also very quiet. Can't even tell when they are on. What's good about KitchenAid is that they are not a "fair trade" company so you can get a good price on one....Check out the internet. Many internet retailers include shipping and you don't have to pay ant sales tax.

Check out HomeClick.com I think that they sell KitchenAid and many weekends they cut another 10% of their prices.

If you want to go the online route, I can probably help you out. I have Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid closeouts still in the box, and could ship it you. Some machines I might be able to sell up to 50% off list. If you're interested let me know and I can see exactly what I have in stock. If not, no problem.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=drailed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
GE dishwashers are junk, and that includes the Profile models. QUOTE]
Figures, 99 percent of the time I research something to death before i lay the money down. This time I was finishing up a full remodel on my kitchen and just picked this one up when I was there buying plumbing stuff. How about the GE gas ranges? I can probably expect some surprises with that as well. I bought them all at the same time so maybe they will all puke at the same time so I can make one trip to the scrap place.
Gas ranges don't have nearly the amount of moving/mechanical parts to fail, so you should be safe for a while longer with that.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Steve, I will keep you in mind. I will probably be doing my Mothers kitchen also in a year or so and her stuff is all ancient.