Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up 455 HO FORUM

I've been kickin' this around for a while & feel the time is RIGHT!

The SD guys have had their forum going for a while now & it's working well so it's time for the FASTER round port 455 motor to have it's OWN forum.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought this one might be of interest!

Lets have some feedback here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230185575300

If any of you SD guys got this far,you might want to read down to the end of the first paragraph in the auction description.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:11 AM

I just bought their ram air III exhaust manifolds, casting and machine work look excellent.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck with that Brian,

I've requested a SD Forum on a thread many moons ago but with NO reply. Its appears that Performance Years is runned by a bunch of GTO guys and gals since there the only one with separate Forums.

Good luck with your new thread,
Brewster

Last edited by Brewster; 10-27-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Repro round port heads

Would be cool if they could make them out of aluminum....

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k
Would be cool if they could make them out of aluminum....
I'd buy a pair of those!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It would be neat to have two of each castings available, one each casting exactly OEM for restorers. One each cast in iron with KRE, ALLPONTIAC modern technology, oversized ports, better flow, relocated spark plug towards exhaust valve, Heart shaped chamber, better swirl, tumble, more quench. These would be killer for F.A.S.T. then!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like the 7F6 is the red headed step-child, they skipped right over us! Not complaining, I know it's a numbers thing on how many he feels are out there needing them. I am amazed he has put the kind of money into the repro heads that he must have in the tooling for these, hope it is profitable and he can continue to make needed parts like this. I wonder what the original head values will do. Also will be interesting to see if these flow as well as the original heads.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Good luck with that Brian,

I've requested a SD Forum on a thread many moons ago but with NO reply. Its appears that Performance Years is run by a bunch of GTO guys and gals since there the only one with separate Forums.

Good luck with your new thread,
Brewster

THANKS for your SUPPORT!

Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I want a Formula 350/6-cylinder forum since they aren't a desired model!! That way all you big wigs won't have to answer any questions. I just don't don't get this forum separation thing. Rich...Poor..

Old 10-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default NOS 455 HO Q-JETS

Pick your year!

I'm almost tempted to ABUSE my credit card for this one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...174496552&rd=1

The carb for the "red-headed stepchild" is a bit spendier. That's the price you have to pay for having a clutch pedal,I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have both an H.O. and a S.D. so i won't get into whos the fastest but this could be a good idea a H.O. forum.

love the idea of new heads,wonder if this is why the others stopped trying to get theirs produced?price wise,don't know.think the real ones will still bring good money for those trying to restore round port cars,but for someone trying to put a stock looking fast car out there they can now buy these and not ruin a set of real heads.myself i would like an SD intake to port out for my SD project.was going to use a standard intake port it out and tig weld the LS2X on it.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There not going to create a HO forum as they did not and will not create an SD forum and should'nt have created a Judge forum.After all what is a Judge ? It's just an option for a GTO. This is just my opinion and for the record I do own both an SD and HO car's.

My 74 Formula is still wearing it's original coat of paint which is code 51 Sunstorm Yellow.This Yellow is a softer Yellow,like a pastel color.GM also used the same color and code in 75.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyno3
I want a Formula 350/6-cylinder forum since they aren't a desired model!! That way all you big wigs won't have to answer any questions. I just don't don't get this forum separation thing. Rich...Poor..
Greg
It's NOT really a RICH/POOR thing.
The majority of the guys here with round port engines are "car poor" just like you & me.
They bought their HO's & SD's at an affordable price.

It's just like Real Estate.
Sell your house NOW & you've got a TON of DOUGH,but if you have to buy another one,you're back to broke AGAIN!

The 455 HO engine has ALWAYS been the Rodney Dangerfield of Pontiac's Round Port & High Performance engines.

In February of 1970,when our FAVORITE car/platform came to life,the automotive press went WILD over it. I'll bet the 70 1/2 F-cars were revued in over 20 different magazines.

6 months later when the 71's came out,NOBODY from the automotive press even gave them the time of day. the cars basically looked the same as last years,but compression was way down,as were HP ratings & everybody assumed that performance would have gone the same way. NOT SO!

72 was a strike year (longest strike in GM history) & the press couldn't have gotten a car to test even if they had wanted one.

By 73 (fall of 72) the SD was the BUZZ WORD & it became a legend in EVERY Pontiac Enthusiasts mind. (although they had NEVER seen or driven one)
Car Driver roadtested an early 73 & was into the 13's as I recall,but the engine had a pre-production cam. (which the EPA caught & Pontiac had to revise)

When the 74's finally came out & there were a few tests published,but performance (out of the box) was not that impressive. The tuners (Nunzi & co. got ahold of one) & with headers,gears,Holly & slicks,were starting to crank some #'s,but it wasn't STOCK anymore.

The SD motor STILL seems to be the LEGENDARY one,but as discussions in past threads regarding actual testing confirm,the 455 HO IS the faster/quicker of the two round port 455's (in stock form)
The SD motor is stronger,from an engineering perspective,but all of the HD parts DON'T make HP!
Out of the BOX the HO makes MORE power & the 71/72 T/A's & Formula's were likely a couple hundred pounds LIGHTER than the 73/74's which makes for quicker trip down the quarter.

The purpose of the 455 HO thread/forum HERE is to give the FASTER round port motor the recognition it DESERVES!

I like Sd's as well as the next guy,but the HO will get the groceries home SOONER.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 PM

I think they were always expensive, from the late eighties till today. I went to see a 73 sd with auto trans and fully loaded, white on white in 91 and the guy wanted 15k cdn and that was way off the scale at the time.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As for this separate forum thing, I have alot of respect for 2many and his posts are always well thought out,
so HO has my vote for their own forum.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have your forum! That's fine. Seems like your demanding respect when you already have it. Just consider the people that can't jump that high these days. I got a '75 Bimini Blue Firebird for free in 1995. It was perfect but a 6 cylinder. Perfect black standard interior and rear spoiler. My girlfriend gave it way under my nose. That was when I had the '74 Laguna S-3 and put the '69 RAIII in it. I wish I had it now.

It's hard to find a '70-'73 bird in any style around here. I know of a black one and can't never get ahold of the owner. It sits under a carport next to a garage. That's been 3 years now. You can only see it for a second or two when driving by.

Last edited by greyno3; 10-29-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had 4 of my round port car's for over 13 years. 1972 GTO WW5 in 1991 $2000.00, 1971 TA $6000.00 in 1993, 1971 TA $2800.00 in 1994, and a 1974 SD TA $5000.00 in 1994. This cars were hard to find at a good prioe way back then.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyno3
Have your forum! That's fine. Seems like your demanding respect when you already have it. Just consider the people that can't jump that high these days.
Hey Greg:

Chill, my friend - it's all good.

I don't think that anyone here is thumbing their noses at folks who don't own a rare car. Having separate HO and/or SD sections certainly wouldn't exclude those who don't own one of them. Heck - I post over in the Judge and '74-'76 'bird sections, and I don't own either of those. Never have owned a Judge and most likely never will.

All that aside, I certainly see folks point with having HO and SD sections, but . . . it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. I've spoken with the "powers that be", and it simply isn't in the cards. In fact - I'll wager that if Chris could go back in time, there might not even be a separate section for Judges.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Chief

" Can't we all just get along"