73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Can Am Steering box?

What is the ratio for the Can Am steering box? Would a swap to a faster box be worth the effort and money?

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
1970 Trans Am - Current Project
Old 11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not sure of the exact particulars, but I remember hearing that an F body steering box will fit but the stops are different and the tires will rub. A Monte Carlo SS box is a better fit with a more favorable ratio.
As far as being worth it, that is a subjective matter. In my opinion, if you are going to drive the car more than a quarter mile at a time, it would be a worthwhile endeavor to swap steering boxes.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am considering a semi G-machine approach so it sounds like a faster ratio box is the direction I need to pursue. Has anyone used one of the aftermarket billet steering boxes?

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
1970 Trans Am - Current Project
Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Chief

WW3 used the Monte SS box in his CanAm. I was blessed with the chance to drive it. The Monte SS box is much more responsive than the stock CanAm box.

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you actually drive your classic car for enjoyment, not just to and from shows, or on and off a trailer, then I would strongly sugest a steering box change. It was the most rewarding change I made to my 66 Lemans, that and the 1 1/4" T/A front sway bar, a new set of radial tires, and a front end aliegnment with as much positive caster as can be put in (usually less than 1 deg.)
The car then handed very much like a late 70's T/A. And as for the difference in the T/A steering box and the original. It was actually in how far the wheels would turn at full lock, I never experianced any differance in tire rub. The turning circle will increase about 20% and you may have to back up and work the car into a tight spot it used to be able to pull directlly in to, but that is about it. I actually stumbled on a WS6 box for this car, but I think the Standard T/A box could possibly be a better choice, not quite as fast ratio, but also does not increase the turning circle as much.
A funny story on this swap is that I never noticed how badly alighned the tie rods were on this car when I bought it. The rt side was adjusted several turns in more than the left, when I changed the box the car would barely turn to th rt, and the left turns seemed almost unchanged. I evened up the tie rod adjustment & the car then turned an equal amount in both directions. With the original box installed, I never noticed the issue!!!!!
The Monte SS Box in my 73 Lemans does have a slightly better feel to it, but it also requires the use of the Metric rag joint coupler that comes with the box, this can also be an issue on 79 & later F-body boxes as they switched to the metric input shaft on the steering box sometime after 78.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

when i had my can-am i had a monte ss box on it. i really liked it. the t/a sway bar was also nice on there. i put b car spindles and 1le rotors on the front and boxed the rear lower control arms and a 1" rear bar , i believe it was from a 73 gto as i found it in a junk yard. back then monroe used to make a formula gp shock and they were stiffer, it made the can-am handle like a trans-am even though my can-am weighed 4400lbs.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM

'77 is the point change for the rag joint. If you have a 77 column now than it's a bolt in change. The SS box has O-ring fittings for the pressure and return lines and what I ended up doing(which was much faster) was just to buy a remanned pump for a 1980 T/A application. making everything go to together with no trouble. Short of the 4 speed this was bar far the best seat of the pants upgrade you can make to a 73-77 A body.