Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Default Need some R-12 or Substitute

Anybody know where I can get some R-12 freon or something compatible with R-12 ? Still haven't changed over to the new stuff yet and I'm putting it off as long as possible if I can still make the old systems work.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
Some shops sell Freeze-12 and similar products. I've heard it is natural gas based.
You can go to http://www.macsw.org/certification.php and take a test and get credentials that will allow you to buy R-12. I got mine 6 years ago.
Small cans of R-12 are still available, you will need to call around to find a source.
Mike

Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are ALWAYS small cans of R-12 on eBay for reasonable cost. Just bid on what you need. Many do not require certification.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Suspended

any sales of R-12 require cerification, even between private individuals. The federal fine is real money and can be a sting set up. beware. get a certification, it is a self, open book test. cheap insurance. my auto store still has R-12 and the price has gone down, since demand is less.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My A/C guy was unsure if he had enough left to do my car, turned out he did but, later he said that he could still order it if he needed to. I'd ask around, you may have to be willing to pay for the cost of him ordering it for you.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer
any sales of R-12 require cerification, even between private individuals. The federal fine is real money and can be a sting set up. beware. get a certification, it is a self, open book test. cheap insurance. my auto store still has R-12 and the price has gone down, since demand is less.

Not all tests... my test was closed book, but I still passed my universal

Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Suspended

I live two miles from the border with mexico. PM me

Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Suspended

actually, not legal to bring in \ import from mexico as that is freon made outside of the US. Only freon that can be sold or imported into US is old freon made here before a certain date or recycled freon. If you buy freon in mexico that can not be taken across the border, even if you were to declare it. smuggling is big business and if the guy who sold it to you reports you to customs, they get a bounty from customs equal to what you would have paid for it in the US. they win twice, selling to you and getting it from customs. and then you have to pay customs a fine, more than what it cost you in the US to buy it.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had used Duracool a few years ago, but found out that it has propane in it, so I am very hesitant to use it again.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A shop can contaminate their equipment real quick if they don't pay attention to what people are putting in their ac system when they bring it in and get serviced after someone has tried to use some of this subtitute freon, I wouldn't try to use any of that subtitute r-12.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I installed a new a/c system last summer, many told me to change it over to 134 but I was concerned with added pressure and/or other issues. I asked various shops for R12 help. I found a light truck shop that at the time I went in had a 69 Charger, 68 Cheby and other cars from our era. A complete evac and refill cost me around $400 but well worth it! I wanted to do it myself.......glad I didn't! Keep checking in your area, there must be a shop that still carries and service R12.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 PM

Depending on how long you are planning on keeping your car, I would suggest to just convert it over. The process is simple and you can use an evac pump and guage set from your local autozone. Its part of their loan a tool program, but only at the stores that have a commercial station in them. Then all you have to do is suck out all your old freon and oil, re-oil your system, replace the fittings, and recharge the system. Its pretty cheap, the fittings are 7 bucks, the oil 10, and around here 7 bucks a can for freon x3 or so, it might even end up being cheaper than trying to recharge with r-12 which ive seen sell at close to 50 bucks a can.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

R-134a is not compatible with the older R-12 O-Rings. If you drop R-134a in as a retrofit without changing all the O-rings, you're most likely going to have problems.

Also, the whole Esther oil, PAG oil compatibility issue is problematic.

R-134a as a refrigerant is not as effective as R-12, without major changes to your A/C system to make the condenser larger, you will not enjoy the same cooling efficiency as the stock system. The stopgap correction is to install less R-134a than the recommended amount of R-12, in order to use an old R-12 sized condenser.

Bottom line, barring wholesale changes to your A/c system, R-134a will never work as efficiently as R-12.

I converted my old T/A from a non-functional R-12 system to a properly converted R-134a system, and while stationary the cooling was virtually nonexistant. After spending the money to properly convert, the A/C system only seemed to work properly while there was sufficient airflow to exchange the heat collected from the cabin.

The GTO A/C system will be R-12, or nothing at all. I will go ahead and put in the new O-Rings which are compatible with both refrigerants in case R-12 eventually disappears and I'm forced to use R-134a.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default R-12

I've still got 2 cans of R-12. I turned down an offer of $125.00 each for them. I don't have anything that still uses that, converted all my cars to 134, but you never know when the real deal might come in handy. My 79 TA is 134 and it works OK, remember these TA's a/c was never that great even when they were new. Good luck on finding some. Anyway my point is you might be OK with 134.
David

Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM

R12 on EBay is $25/can all day every day...

Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default freon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmodelj70
R12 on EBay is $25/can all day every day...
I went to ebay and your right if you have the proper credentuals for it. As far as us backyard mechanics go we have to obtain it "under the table".
David T.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David T.
I am restoring the AC in my 79 TA however the compressor and hoses are not on the car. Can you post some photos of your setup?
I have been advised to replace the compressor and stay with R12. There for I am going to go with a Sanden compressor, and R 12

Thanks

Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
I went to ebay and your right if you have the proper credentuals for it. As far as us backyard mechanics go we have to obtain it "under the table".
David T.
You can take an online open book test and become certified for $25.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default a/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
David T.
I am restoring the AC in my 79 TA however the compressor and hoses are not on the car. Can you post some photos of your setup?
I have been advised to replace the compressor and stay with R12. There for I am going to go with a Sanden compressor, and R 12

Thanks
At the moment I still have the old A-6 style compressor on my 79 TA with it being converted to 134. I have a Sanderson, or whatever they are called, style compressor for it, but have not installed it yet. I will be moving to Florida, just north of Orlando, next week for the summer. Maybe while I'm down there I'll get it put on.
David