Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 GTO Value

What do you guys think the value of a 70 GTO 400 4spd numbers matching car is worth? I went and looked at it on Saturday, the car has been parked since 1981, the drive train looks untouched, but the car is in pretty rough shape, the only piece of sheet metal worth repairing is the drivers side front fender, eveything else needs to be replaced, floors and trunk are shot, even the roof needs work. The interior is trashed. Guy is asking $5000, I think hes nuts, I think the car is only worth about $1500 to $2000 personaly, what do you guys think? Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default value

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto
I think the car is only worth about $1500 to $2000 personaly, what do you guys think? Thanks
Hard to say without pics, but the engine and trans alone are probably worth $2k... The rear is worth $600......

If its all complete, and assuming no frame rot, and the body itself is not rotted(not incl. the panels), its probably worth $3.5-5k.

However, if you are not planning to do all the work yourself, you'd be better off buying one in better condition, as you'll never get your money(or time) out of it.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like the body is shot. I would pass, or make an offer based on the drivetrain value.

I bought this red on red 4spd for $7,000. I paid a little too much, but I wanted the color combo. Perfect frame, good floors, trunk rusted out, not running, but original motor, needs everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Humbler1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	121323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Humbler2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	121324  

Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 PM

hey slowgto, i think 7k for red on red 4-speed, especially if you you love a 70, numbers and all, is a good buy, i think that will be one bada&& ride. as for 5k pggto, i agree, barter if you can, unless the same circumstances apply, you love the color/4-speed etc...

Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The color is gold, not exactly my favorite, and the body is junk.

slowgto, that looks like a decent car for 7k, the body doesn't look to bad either. Good score.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Got my red on red A/T A/C 70 last month for 7K as well. 88K original miles. Interior not as bad as the one slowGTO bought, but I plan on replacing it with a new one anyway. I don't have to replace any trunk pans, floor pans or quarters, all solid metal, but the rear window ledge is going to require extensive repair. It's at the body man's now. I'll post some pics when finished. There's currently a Green 70 with rebuilt motor on craig's in the bay area, CA for 7K or 7.5K
If the car you are looking at needs lots of panel replacements, it is probably best if you seek out a less rusty car. The aggrevation is just too much dealing with a rust bucket.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 70 gto:

Yes, that red/red combo is pretty cool!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70 gto judge and funeral pics 071.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	121930  

Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some good advice about not underestimating the time and money it takes to get a rough body into good shape.

I think the matching numbers thing is OK, but the condition of the body really offsets the idea of a numbers car. If it were a super rare 455 Judge 'Vert, that would be one thing, a regular GTO is relatively easy to locate in better shape, even if it's a NOM car, who cares?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

goodkarmech, would happen to have a link to that 70?