Old 04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog
Default HPP on Two Lane Blacktop Judge?

Anybody read the article on this car; I hear it has yet again been talked about incorrectly? I have not read it yet.

Here is the build sheet to the car and invoice to the car that was sold to an individual by the studio some years later.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I read the article but was not aware of any controversy over the car. I can't remember exactly what the article said about the car but I seem to remember that it did discuss that is was not a Judge but had the Judge stripes on it, and that at one point, the character GTO refers to it having a 455 but it really only had a 400 as shown on the PHS and build sheet. The article was mostly about making the movie.

There is also a listing of all the cool Pontiacs used in the movies. The listing gives some details about the cars used, how much time they actually appear in the movie, chase scenes, reasons to watch etc. The funniest line was on the reason to watch McQ. The reason to watch was given as: "Its the Duke driving a 73 Trans Am, weren't you paying attention???"

BJ

Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 PM
formerly Steved400

Like I said; I haven't read it yet. The basic myth told over and again that it was a regular GTO with a 455.

As you can see it's a IV Judge.

The other possible myth; that there were two Judge's like there were 55's, I have not found any records of a second Judge given to the studio. I have seen backlot pics that have two 55's but all only show 1 Judge. At least the ones I have seen.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the last line item and 2nd to last with code 9D on PHS mean???

Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Senior Chief

I have read elsewhere that there were two 70 GTOs (options unknown to me) and three 55 Chevys used in the filming of the movie. One GTO was for exterior shots and one for interior. One 55 was for exterior shots, one for interior, and one for the roll-over scene which was not used but this totalled the car. The two remaining 55s were used in American Grafitti. -Jesse

Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default Orbit car

Does anyone remember the 70's TV series Barretta with the opening sequence showing and Orbit 70 smashing a fence barricade or some wood structure? Is that car the Two Lane car?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Senior Chief

The director of the movie in the HPP article said that it was a GTO not a Judge. If you look at all the pics in the article the car definately has the GTO emblems where they should be but it does have the Judge stripes, front & rear spoilers and thick foam steering wheel. I did not notice when I watched the movie recently if the glove box has a Judge emblem though. And yes, the director said in the article that there were 3 55 chevys used exactly how explained above.

Brian

Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojon
Does anyone remember the 70's TV series Barretta with the opening sequence showing and Orbit 70 smashing a fence barricade or some wood structure? Is that car the Two Lane car?
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-P...model-GTO.html

I'm not sure. But, it does look like it was used in a shot for a Columbo movie (page 4).

Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 PM

I just picked up the new 2 disc DVD TLB set and have read the HPP article. A lot of cool behind the scenes stuff on disc 2. Haven't had a chance to watch it all yet. In one of the original on set photos, there are clearly two Goats. The feature car and one following with cameras attached to film the interior shots. Apparently there were 2 Goats and 3 55's used. Also, if you watch closely in the movie, you can see the Judge glove box emblem. I've always believed that the Judge decals were removed and replaced with GTO to correspond Warren Oates' character, "GTO". The feature car in the movie has std "Ram Air" (not Ram Air IV) decals on the hood. Is it possible that the PHS and build sheet are for the #2 camera car and #1 was a std RAIII or even RA455? I'd sure like to know where the 2 cars are today!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Senior Chief

If you pause at 49 minutes 20 seconds into the movies it is the seen after the cop pulls the GTO over and meets up with the 55 chevy and they are hanging out on the side of the road and the girl gets in the passenger seat and goes through the cassett taps you can see the glove box judge emblem and yes they had two GTO'S and three 55 chevys.Pontiac supplied the GTO"S and put GTO emblems on the side instead of JUDGE emblems because it was just a option and wanted GTO all over the big screen and had a contract to mention the 455 because it was the first year of the motor so it was just free publisity.Does any one have the phs of the second GTO and gas was only 31 cents at the pumps.Man has times changed

Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red69Goat
I just picked up the new 2 disc DVD TLB set and have read the HPP article. A lot of cool behind the scenes stuff on disc 2. Haven't had a chance to watch it all yet. In one of the original on set photos, there are clearly two Goats. The feature car and one following with cameras attached to film the interior shots. Apparently there were 2 Goats and 3 55's used. Also, if you watch closely in the movie, you can see the Judge glove box emblem. I've always believed that the Judge decals were removed and replaced with GTO to correspond Warren Oates' character, "GTO". The feature car in the movie has std "Ram Air" (not Ram Air IV) decals on the hood. Is it possible that the PHS and build sheet are for the #2 camera car and #1 was a std RAIII or even RA455? I'd sure like to know where the 2 cars are today!

Yes, I agree wtih the the judge decals being removed and replaced with the GTO decal and I also recall interior shots showing the judge emblem on the glove box...I only believe there is on GTO though as confirmed by the director.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Senior Chief

HFR-
Thanks for the link, I see the Barretta car on page #1. I agree, page 4 Columbo movie is the Two Lane car. Cool site.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
formerly Steved400

The story is as this (best I remember from a phone call 5 years ago from a guy in a state that begins with an A which is where the car was or still is)...

The guy bought the car from the studio (Universal?) and met with the President for the deal.

I THINK he said the studio pesident claimed to have changed to call out letters.

The car was in the Barretta show and sustained damage.

This car of the documentation never had camera mounts mounted to the frame that could be seen.

End that part.

I had heard there were 3 55's but have only seen a back lot with 2; personally I'm not interested in the 55's. I almost mentioned in my second post I had heard 3 but decided not too since I have never really looked into the 55's.

I talked to Wangers about this back in the day and Wanger's story at the time was the "off track one" also; after I sent Wangers the documents and told him the story (which at the time was fresh in my head) he agreed that this indeed must have been the correct car and he wasn't sure why everyone had gotten off track through the years.

I posted Wangers emails on this matter in Rich's CP forum years ago; but my Favorite list is gone with some update Rich did a year ago, and I can't get the search to work. Unfortunately I had a server crash and lost the original emails from Wangers and the guy in state A.

Wangers had something to say about the second car or possible second car; but I can't remember what it was exactly other than it still left doubt in my mind that there even was one.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 AM
formerly Steved400

One more thing.

I can't remember good enough for a court of law; but Wangers may have said something about the car being picked up at a GM facility in CA by the studio BEFORE I sent him the documents or told him what the guy in A had told me, and as you can see it was billed and credited to a dealer (Royal HA, I found that comical) but a full credit was issued and the ship to is PMD. That to me put the nail in the coffin.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:40 PM

Steved
Hello, my name is Bruce Hershberger and new to this site, I have been viewing for some time but just recently registered, this is my 1st post.
I'm the guy you talked to a few years back and I sent you the PHS and broadcast sheet you attached in this post.
I purchased this car in 1988 form a collector in East LA from a Hemmings ad.
He also owned the Johnny Carson GTO, and other neat cars.
He is the fellow who purchased the car from Universal studios, and told me it was the Two Lane Blacktop car and was also used in the Baretta series.
I drove the car from LA to Seattle and then shipped it to Alaska, I completed a frame off restoration that summer and fall using as many NOS parts as possible.
This car is a numbers matching car and has less than 2 K miles since restoration residing in a private collection.
I'll scan some pics of the car and post in the next few days.
Bruce

Old 04-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the board Bruce.

And let me complement you, that is one hell of an entrance!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah, that was waay better than my " hey ya'll, what's up? " that I started with!
Welcome Bruce. Look forward to the pics.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
formerly Steved400

AH HAH

Bruce!!!

Here is the man, I sincerely hope I got all the accounts correct after all this time?

And I guess he gave up the state.... haha

Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the board Bruce! I think it is now safe to say that you have our undivided attention as we anxiously await more details on a really cool car!

BJ

Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Steved you did real well on memory recall. Haven't seen you on the Yenko site for some time, was wondering where you went.
I started out with my 1st pontiac in 72 being a 62 GP at 15 years old, since then have pretty much ran the full gauntlet with muscle cars excluding Fords, currently finishing up on a very rare and unique mopar.
I've been longing for another Judge ,so have been looking for a Blk 69 to fill my Pontiac muscle car desire once again.
I will have to scan my pictures, hopefully tomorrow and get them up.
Thanks again guys
Bruce