Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 AM
PY Staff -Tech

Thumbs up The Gbody forum is coming!! Thanks PY

I talked to Chris and explained how there are some "holes" in the present forums when it come to later Gbody cars.

He agreed to set up 78-87 Gbody forums.

Once set up,if you guys want a topic moved from another section that is Gbody specific,let me know and I will look into moving it there.

Also start thinking if there are any stickys ( ies?) that would make sense.
Exhaust header fitment comes to mind right away.

Thanks Shotgun

78 Olds Cutlass Drag car PONTIAC powered with 440 (destroked 455), th400, 12bolt with spool 4.10z
Best to date 10.00@130.92 mph at 3250#

79 Grand Prix, will be new home for the 440
Goal 9.75z@135mph at 2900#

83 Malibu Wagon UUV Crate 350, Custom T5, 8.5 with Auburn posi 3.73z
Making it the Ultimate Utility Vehicle
Go, tow and show (not so much show, yet)
Old 04-06-2008, 04:08 AM

Progress!!!! Thanks!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds cool! I love the way those cars ride and handle. A lot of my friends have had Cutlasses and Regals - one of these days I'm going to pick up a GP for myself.

When I was in VA in the Navy in the early 90's, the Tidewater Trading Post newspaper used to be full of them with bad 3.8 liter engines for $300-$400. I wonder if you can still find deals like that?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:03 PM

Default VERY CLEAN GRAND PRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l
Sounds cool! I love the way those cars ride and handle. A lot of my friends have had Cutlasses and Regals - one of these days I'm going to pick up a GP for myself.

When I was in VA in the Navy in the early 90's, the Tidewater Trading Post newspaper used to be full of them with bad 3.8 liter engines for $300-$400. I wonder if you can still find deals like that?
There is one about 20 miles from me that is an exceptionally clean car. An elderly lady had it since it was new. Within the last two years; she has been placed in a nursing home. Her grandson "inherited" the car and wasn't smart enough to use a dipstick and now it is sitting out in the weather. This car is probably an 85'-87' GP with no vinyl top and original Rally wheels. It's bench seat, column shift and a very light green-silver color. Inside is very clean. I'm sure it could be had for peanuts. In a few years it won't be worth having; due to the sun damage we have out here.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun

He agreed to set up 78-87 Gbody forums.

Once set up,if you guys want a topic moved from another section that is Gbody specific,let me know and I will look into moving it there.

Thanks Shotgun
or you can just contact a moderator unless something's happened that the rest of us weren't told about.

on a side note, keep the forums active for these cars. if they aren't chances are they'll go away as space is money.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Chief

Will this forum include the 78-80 Grand Am?
Or do we still post/look in the 75-81 Pontiac not listed forum?
Technically it's an "A" body, although no other A body parts interchange, only G Body stuff.
The G body forum should be helpfull, great idea.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Chief

according to my gm books, the 78-80 Grand Prix is an "A" body car. maybe the 78-88 A/G body forum?

Old 05-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by heff
according to my gm books, the 78-80 Grand Prix is an "A" body car. maybe the 78-88 A/G body forum?
2nd vote for the 78-88 A/G forum! -Jim

Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 PM

Just cause GM screwed up doesn't mean we should. The 78 to 87 was the same chassis/body shell. It should have had one letter and it should never had been an A cause the 70s A's were a larger body. The less confusing and easily understood remedy is to call it GBody for all years. That IS what every other site is using.....

Old 05-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My "other" A body.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2008, 01:04 PM

keep it g's only please, my 78 gp is a gbody fo sho, same as monte. g's have specific issues that they do not share with the a's.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceslayer View Post
keep it g's only please, my 78 gp is a gbody fo sho, same as monte. g's have specific issues that they do not share with the a's.
I am curious, what are the differences between the 78-80 A's and the same year G's? Thanks -Jim

Old 10-10-2008, 07:54 AM

Same frame and basic structure, just a name change and cosmetic. For simplicity we do what GM should have done...call them all G's

Old 10-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Chief

1978: The original term use for 'G body' was for the GP/Monte Carlo/Regal/Cutlass Supreme formal roofed cars, versus the fast/slant back A body Cutlass Salon/LeMans/Malibu/Century 2 and 4 doors.

1982: GM brought out new FWD A body meant to replace all RWD A's. But, they kept the 4 doors and renamed them into G family. They planned to keep only the 2 door G's but kept Cutlass/Regal/Bonneville sedans til 87.

1969-77, both G and 'A Special' was used for GP/Monte family or Personal Luxo cars.

Anyway, today, G body makes sense to call all the RWD mid sized GM cars from 78-88. [Yeah there was no 1988 Pontiac G, just MC, Cutlas Sup. Classic, and ElCamino for 88]