Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default top 5 things to check my engine builder on.

pontiac specific things that is....

the guy putting together my 400 short block is not a pontiac guy. what are the 5 things, or six or seven or whatever, that i need to double check him on ??? i believe the shop is plenty competent, (they stay busy) and i dont want to piss him off, but i feel the need to run a few things by him to make sure........

Old 04-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

uh ... don't paint it orange?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ask about the rear lifter galley plug on the right side for the distributor.
Make sure they don't try to use the standard Chevy bearing clearances. Use Pontiac specs.
Torque the front of the intake first to seal the cross over cooling passage.
When it is time for final assembly, the distributer rotation for the Chevy is backwards to the Pontiac.

I am sure others have a lot more experience than I on this subject.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
Make sure he knows to put the sleeves in the timing cover for the water pump.
Make sure he knows to check the gap between the divider plate and the water pump impeller.
Pontiacs like high volume oil pumps not high pressure.
Make sure he uses a plate when he hones or bores the cylinders.
Use forged rods in lieu of stock cast rods.
Decking the block will affect how the intake manifold sits on the cylinder head intake ports. Intake may have to be milled as well.
Use the right rear main oil seal. You don't want a leaker in a couple of months.
Mike

Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default Jim Hand's book

Jim Hands book has lotsa good "little things" to check. I made a list and asked nitpicky crap like what the clearance should be between the oil pump gears and the bottom plate of the pump.......he knew it off the top of his head. If they machine the crank, will they retain the factory radius, or hack it off.....

I took care of as much stuff as I could myself and delivered ready to go (clearance pump divider plate..).

The heck with it, I figure if they get offended/defensive they probly don't know what they're doing, and then you'd be out a few thousand if your motor craps out. I wouldn't give a di#%head my hard earned money anyhow. It's your motor, they need to get it right. Ask away.

Screaming Chief probly knows all the clearances by heart, camshaft/crankshaft end play, rod side clearances.........

Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well maybe a few things:
1. The rods on a Pontiac install the opposite as a SBC. You have to maintain the oil spirt hole towards the cam.

2. The #1 cylinder isn't the first one that bolts to the crank. Which causes the confusion with piston to rod interface.

3. Not all shops understand which main bearing receives the "Thrust" bearing.

4. Definitely the hidden lifter galley plug behind the soft plug accessed through the rear of the engine.

5. Depending on the age of the shop, many have zero experience installing a rope seal correctly.

6. Pontiac balancers should have a slip-fit not a "Press" fit like a SBC. As a result of the slip-fit, the main fastener torques to 160 ftlbs.

7. Pontiacs have "multiple" piece oil dip sticks. The part of the dipstick tube coming through the block drives in from the inside out. The inner portion should connect to the block tube and bolt to one of the main bolts. (You would be surprised how many have messed this up, tried to install the dipstick from the outside, end up with leaks and/or getting the dipstick tangled in the rotating assembly) The assembly should have at least 3 tube sections plus the dipstick. I deleted the upper tube and shortened the dip stick but thats another topic.

8. Not all Pontiacs have 6 exhaust bolt holes, which are needed to run headers. Check yours before spending a bunch of money on them.

9. Pontiac V8's have a larger capacity oiling system than a SBC. 6+ Qts with new filter.

10. I second the divider plates, all clearances, and the transfer tubes associated with mounting the water pump to the aluminum timing cover.

11. Pontiac V8's are tough on timing chains, buy the best quality "True Roller" chain you can afford. You'll be thankfull.

12. The heater nipple on the rear of the passenger head is NOT removeable. If they plan on removing it make sure you can order the replacement.

13. Pontiac "LIFTERS" have a higher oil band location, do not let them sell you SBC lifters.

14. Pontiac V8's have "Blind" head bolt holes into the deck, they do not require sealant on assembly, only a little oil or assembly lube on the treads and under the bolt head. If the block is decked and/or the heads surfaced they need to verify the head bolts aren't bottoming out in the hole before the head receives the proper torque to seal the head gaskets. (Common issue results in blown head gaskets, the inexperienced try to blame it on having only 10 head bolts per head or cheap gaskets)

15. If running higher than stock ratio rocker arms you must grind/open/elongate the pushrod slot in the head towards the stud base about 1/8".

Honestly there are more little idiosyncrecies about a Pontiac. Especially in the many different valve lengths, adjustable vs non-adjustable valvetrains, oil pump drive shaft, distributor rotation, and more. JD

Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks guys...i dont want to sound like a pain in the ass know it all trying to tell him his job. just an informed consumer that expects quality service !!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM

Holy crap... This is some good stuff!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to 66geeto

if he balances the crank for you check the clearance between the rear counter weight (where the weight was added) and your oil pump shaft. they are very close on a pontiac.
ask me how i know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	128637  

Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 Ventura II
Well maybe a few things:
9. Pontiac V8's have a larger capacity oiling system than a SBC. 6+ Qts with new filter.
JD
Not to hijack, but all manuals (Chilton's, Haynes) that I have says 5 quarts with oil change. That barely touched the dipstick. 6 didn't even put it between full/add hash marks. Probably closer to 7(?).

2008 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 TRD (5.7 381 hp)
1978 Trans Am w/69 428 (343hp/452 FPT)
1999 Black T/A, M6 (allegedly stock 325hp)